The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to a continuing DDoS attack, FPN could be moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with this. The earlier reported hardware issue has been fixed. Apologies for the inconvenience.

Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

College Student Looking For New Pen

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,980 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 15:10

If I was going back to college it would be a Lamy Safari all the way!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

Sponsored Content

#22 displacermoose

displacermoose

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 03:01

I second the notion of always carrying 2 pens. Let me suggest that at least one of them have a slip/snap cap and at least one of them accept cartridges. Doesn't matter if those criteria are in the same pen or different pens. That way you will always have a pen that's handy for quick notes and you'll always have something that can be immediately refilled (because you will always carry a box of cartridges with you. Always.)

Parker 45's are great pens. I personally am more of a Sheaffer person and would be more inclined toward the 44* (I have a 444. Love it.). I don't think anyone has suggested the Wing Sung 698. This is a piston filler that comes in a wide array of colors and works great with Pilot nibs for about $15. Beats the pants of the Eco, IMHO. Kaweco Sports are also excellent carry around pens. I have 4. One of them needed some tweaking, but with a bit of TLC it is now a champion. The other three were great out of the box (which didn't keep me from messing with them anyway). The Lignau Lorelei (I'm sure that's not spelled correctly) is another well-made but inexpensive Chinese pen. It takes Pilot nibs (from the Kakuno/Metro/Prera) and Sailor cartridges. Sailor's Sei-Boku is a waterproof blue-black that comes in said cartridges and is a great daily ink. I have two Preras and almost always have one of them inked for duty in my work pen case. They are comfortable, dependable, and have a great slip cap. A bit more expensive (the last time I looked on JetPens they were about $35), but still easily replaceable.

If you want to go the next step up the Sailor Sapporo, Pilot Custom 74, and Platinum 3776 Century all fall in about the same class and price range. I own all three and would be hard pressed to choose between them.

Yet another Sarah.

#23 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 16:05

I would not bring expensive (troublesome to replace) pens to school.  Some other lesser known alternatives:

Lamy Nexx - doesn't have that triangular section
Kaweco Sport - pocketable
Pilot Kakuno - new, just came out this year
Platinum Preppy - easier to eyedropper than the Pilot Varsity.  Wicking feed 

I personally carry a Noodler's Ahab.  I filled the barrel with water to stave off the evaporation.  I don't flex it.  Had Lamy vistas, but price increases means it's almost $40 to replace now.  I don't write enough to get more pens that I don't use.

#24 SoulSamurai

SoulSamurai

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 16:27

I filled the barrel with water to stave off the evaporation.

That's an interesting idea, I might have to try that.

#25 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 17:30

Hi Guys!

I want to buy a new pen for my college. I want it to be robust, have a good ink capacity and write well(by that I mean it should be smooth). So far I've chosen noodlers konrad(Ebonite or Acrylic) and the Twsbi eco. But If there's a better pen that suits my needs, please recommend it to me.

My budget is around $70. 

~Nick

Hi Nick - 

I just posted a review of the new Lamy Aion. 

http://www.fountainp...view-lamy-aion/

This would be a great pen for you.  It is very well constructed and writes very nicely. It is made of aluminum so it appears as though it would withstand the rigors of college life.   It is new, so you may have to look around to find it. I picked mine up in the Frankfurt airport, but have seen it advertised here in the U.S. 

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#26 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,283 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 19:23

Now that's a nice looking pen. Thanks for the review: I have no way whether it'd suit the OP or not, but I'll definitely be looking for one for myself.

(Has it really taken Lamy this long to work out that a cartridge pen that looks more like the 2000 than the Safari or whatever was worth doing?)

#27 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:38

If you don't mind a Chinese pen, Wingsung 3008 demo piston filler. And you have plently budget left for another pen(s). If you want to spend all 70dollars and probably a little more, Pelikan M200/205 - the nibs run on the finer side, i'd say EF for Mathematics and Fine for writing if you have to fit content into limited spaces.

#28 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:59

Hello and welcome OP.

I join other users in suggesting two lower-end pens instead of hitting full budget with one. The Monteverde Monza which you're considering is a rebranded 2$ pen, I don't recommend it.

I recommend the Pilot Kakuno (roughly 13$), a nicely-sized plastic pen with EF, F or M nibs to choose from. If you find the colorful caps childish remember that there is an all dark gray model and a demonstrator model. If you don't want to stick to cartridges you need to buy either the Pilot Con-40 or Con-50 converter. You can use the longer Con-70 only with the clear/demonstrator model or with the models that have a white barrel, not the dark gray barrel. Remember this.

The Pilot Metropolitan, the Pilot 78G or the new Pilot 78G+, and the Pilot Prera are good alternatives. The Metro has a brass body and is a touch too heavy for me to use in class or for any long period of tme, but maybe this is because I don't have much strength in my forearms and wrists.

The Sailor HighAce Neo (roughly 13$) is a good writer, comes in solid colors or clear version, the nib comes only in F size. Plastic body with metal cap, but lightweight. Cartridge or converter, if you go with converter make sure that you don't buy the Sailor "slim" converter because that's a special model only for a very narrow Sailor pen. You need the regular converter for the HighAce Neo.

For double the price you can opt for the Sailor Profit Junior, which has a screw type cap instead of snap cap like the HighAce Neo and the previously mentioned Pilot models. This pen also takes either Sailor cartridges or the regular Sailor converter.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#29 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,113 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:17

Is the Pilot 78G+, yes, with that plus sign, made in Japan?

I find Pilot pens generally way too dry for my liking and can be picky with inks and papers for the look and writing experience that I enjoy. Smooth steel nibs, no doubt.

And I find Pilot Kakuno dries up inks quite quickly when capped. There are a few holes on top of cap of my Kakuno (to prevent kids from choking to death?), I am not sure if current productions have them too. The inner cap, if there is any, certainly does not seal the pen well.

Since I mentioned sealing systems, 78G (the older, made in Japan version) seals the pen well. Kakuno is the worst in this department and Prera dries inks too but not the worst among them. Pilot 74 and above preserves inks. This is of course not an issue if one finishes inks within a short period of time or don't mind inks turning darker over time. But I do, especially with certain shades of Blues.

I certainly would not recommend the CON70 for people who enjoy changing inks often: it is a PITA to clean, even with an ultrasonic cleaner.

How is the nib smoothness on Sailor? I have a couple of Sailors from Somiko medium and broad, to 21k mf and a 14k F, mf - none of which I could, in good conscience, call smooth. Excellent flow though, and absolutely reliable. That is why I kept them.

Edited by minddance, 28 October 2017 - 12:34.

#30 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,608 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:47

Nick, have your pens and ink arrived?  If so, how do you like them?  How about a photo so we can celebrate vicariously? ;)

PS: I think you made good choices.

Edited by LizEF, 28 October 2017 - 12:47.

#31 mitto

mitto

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,025 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:54

I would suggest buying a Parker 51 aerometric. Smooth writer. Indestructible. Huge ink capacity. No drying out problems. And a modern looking vintage pen.
Khan

#32 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,815 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 16:50

(Has it really taken Lamy this long to work out that a cartridge pen that looks more like the 2000 than the Safari or whatever was worth doing?)

And it costs more than a L2K when I joined FPN. I kinda regret not getting one back then.

#33 DrPenfection

DrPenfection

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 October 2017 - 19:21

Nick_salad, I apologize for not noticing that you have already made your selections before I posted my thoughts.  

Both pens which you selected are good pens and I hope they serve you well.  I know very little about the Monza, but my experience with the Vac700 was marginal.  I liked the pen alot, but for me the nib kept drying out; all of my TWSBIs had dry start problems (all medium nibs).  This is likely because I live in a very dry climate.  I finally gave them all to my daughter who lives in a much more humid climate.  She has done well with them.  

Best always,

Deborah (aka DrPenfection)

#34 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,283 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 20:36

And it costs more than a L2K when I joined FPN. I kinda regret not getting one back then.

Some sort of promotional thing they were doing?

#35 Chris C

Chris C

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 22:02

I received a quarterly circular from Fountain Pen Hospital yesterday and a few pens in the price range looked appealing. There was a Parker Urban, Lamy Aion, Conklin Duragraph, Monteverde Rodeo Drive, and Stipula Splash (which is a piston filler). I think for you a cartridge pen is most convenient. These are all recent pens.

#36 wallylynn

wallylynn

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,815 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:16

Some sort of promotional thing they were doing?

Nothing special. I could be wrong but I remember the L2k being about $75-$100 depending on the seller and if on sale, about 10 years ago. The price kept going up and up and up. Everything's gone up. I'm not going to replace my lost Vista because it'll take like $40.

#37 RoyalBlueNotebooks

RoyalBlueNotebooks

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,440 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:26

Is the Pilot 78G+, yes, with that plus sign, made in Japan?

And I find Pilot Kakuno dries up inks quite quickly when capped. There are a few holes on top of cap of my Kakuno (to prevent kids from choking to death?), I am not sure if current productions have them too. The inner cap, if there is any, certainly does not seal the pen well.

How is the nib smoothness on Sailor? I have a couple of Sailors from Somiko medium and broad, to 21k mf and a 14k F, mf - none of which I could, in good conscience, call smooth. Excellent flow though, and absolutely reliable. That is why I kept them.

I know the 78G+ is intended for the Chinese market, but I have no idea where it is manufactured.

My Pilot Kakuno starts up every day. Maybe your inner cap doesn't align perfectly to the beginning of the section. I don't mind the holes in the cap since it's the inner cap that prevents the ink from drying in the nib and feed, and the inner cap of my Kakuno does its duty perfectly. Starts right away every time, even after a day of non-use. Since I like I haven't avoided using it for more than a day though, so I can't say about long periods of time.

The Sailor HighAce Neo is a low-end pen, so don't expect the smoothness of Sailor 14k, 18k and 21k nibs from it. It's an inexpensive pen, snap cap with a good inner cap, and has good ink flow. The nib is not smooth though, that's for sure.

I don't know what's wrong with your Sailor gold nib (maybe it's that rumored "Sailor feedback"?), I just received mine and I fell head over heels for it. 

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

#38 TennesseeTrash

TennesseeTrash

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 October 2017 - 13:23

I recommend a pilot custom heritage 92. It holds a lot of ink, its clear so you can see the ink, and its about $100 from Japan.

For a backup I would have some pilot g2s or whatever ballpoints you can accumulate. An emergency is an emergency. Youre not going days and days without the ability to fill your fountain pen. You just need something dependable to get you through a lecture or two. As a bonus, you can lend these out without lending your fountain pen.

#39 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,283 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 16:04

Nothing special. I could be wrong but I remember the L2k being about $75-$100 depending on the seller and if on sale, about 10 years ago. The price kept going up and up and up. Everything's gone up. I'm not going to replace my lost Vista because it'll take like $40.

Got you. Mine was more like a hundred quid when I got it around 2006, though. I wonder if there was some sort of price control in the 'States that they were doing at the time which they've now given up on?

#40 French

French

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 975 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2017 - 18:13

To be honest, my experiences with the aromatic resin stuff and ebonite Noodler's pens put me off so much I haven't even looked at the acrylic ones. Even if it worked beautifully (which from this manufacturer I find about as likely as Katy Perry making a black metal album) it'd still have a flex nib that you have to be Steve Austin to make the tines spread a bit.

:P

Steven Austin the former pro wrestler or Steven Austin the Six Million Dollar Man?    Not that they are significantly different in strength :)

Sponsored Content

|