Help!!

Apollo

I was quite delighted when the postman delivered my Retro 51 Double Eight pen from Pen City today, but within less that an hour of merely carrying the pen, the thread section (the part where the cap screws on) came off entirely. All I did to the pen was was take the cap off, fill the converter with ink and screwed the cap back on. I didn't even screw it on tight. Almost an hour later (after coming home from dinner with the wife) I attempted to use the pen and noticed that the cap was loose. It seems that the thread section was held in place by some kind of adhesive. Since the pen is made of cellulose-acetate, I'm reluctant to use conventional super glue on it. My question is, what type of adhesive is safe to use on cellilose acetate? I don't want to send the pen back to Pen City or Retro 51 for repair or replacement unless theres no other choice. Any advice?

Edited by Apollo
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Apollo

• wimg

• Titivillus

Top Posters In This Topic

Nevermind, I used some all purpose goop and fixed it.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

Hi Apollo.

I would still consider sending it back, if I were you. A pen should not have to be fixed when new, save for a little tine alignment and a soapy water rinse.

Of course, that is just my opinion... :D

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

It was a curious thing, really. The thread piece right above the section came off and it had some acrylic-like residue on it which may have just been a cheap adhesive. I live in the Southern part of the States where the humidity reaches sauna-like conditions sometimes, so I don't know if that had any effect on the adhesive used at the factory.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/CosmicSuperchunk/D8demo.jpg

The section screws off so you can replace the cartridge/converter leaving the barrel with the exposed threads that allows one to screw the cap back on. There's a hollow cutout in the barrel where the thread piece simply pops in. I didn't want to use any product containg acetone for fear that it would eat right through the material, so I went to an Arts&Crafts store and bought a tube of All Purpose Goop which seems to have worked just fine.

Hi Apollo,

If you're happy with it, obviously that's fine. :D And from a repair point of view it is admirable too!

But please do check with PenCity wheter this is supposed to be like that. You did pay your good earned money for it, after all.. Just my 2c...

Warm regards, Wim

the Mad Dutchman
laugh a little, love a little, live a lot; laugh a lot, love a lot, live forever

I was quite delighted when the postman delivered my Retro 51 Double Eight pen from Pen City today, but within less that an hour of merely carrying the pen, the thread section (the part where the cap screws on) came off entirely. All I did to the pen was was take the cap off, fill the converter with ink and screwed the cap back on. I didn't even screw it on tight. Almost an hour later (after coming home from dinner with the wife) I attempted to use the pen and noticed that the cap was loose. It seems that the thread section was held in place by some kind of adhesive. Since the pen is made of cellulose-acetate, I'm reluctant to use conventional super glue on it. My question is, what type of adhesive is safe to use on cellilose acetate? I don't want to send the pen back to Pen City or Retro 51 for repair or replacement unless theres no other choice. Any advice?

A freeze dried version of my answer in the other thread.

If you get a pen that's defective- send it back. Or if you aren't sending it back at least make the seller AND the manufacturer aware that you are not pleased with the pen. Give details and say that your feet will do the talking if the quality of the pens does not improve.

Also you need to be VERY careful with adhesives. There are alot out there that because of the solvents used can make a real mess of a pen. I use to do some chemical welding of plexiglass and all it was was a friendly clear liquid that when brushed on the two pieces would melt them enough that on contact together it would form a serious bond. And cloud the area as well.

Thanks,

K H