I Think I've Found An Ink I'm Not Pleased With

Rosendust2121

Hey everyone. Tonight I decided to flush and fill as I normally do. I decided to try a new Pilot vial, without looking at the name. It was the bamboo green color. All in all, I'm disappointed. I think I'll do a second flush and fill and refill with Asa-Gao. I'm so glad I purchase sample vials before a full bottle.

<i>Many boys will bring you flowers. But someday you'll meet a boy who will learn your favourite flower, your favourite song, your favourite sweet. And even if he is too poor to give you any of them, it won't matter because he will have taken the time to know you as no one else does. Only that boy earns your heart-Leigh Bardugo

. Please assume no affiliation, as I'm just a pleased customer. IG: Lenses and pens_

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LanceSaintPaul

• Arkanabar

• Intensity

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

Chiku-Rin is too light for me, and Shin-Ryoku looks like there's a bit too much teal in it too. We're talking about one of these two, right?

All in all, I can count on one hand the amount of Iroshizuku inks that I would buy: Asa-gao, Kon-peki, Tsuki-yo, Ku-jaku, and Yama-guri.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

Chiku-Rin is too light for me, and Shin-Ryoku looks like there's a bit too much teal in it too. We're talking about one of these two, right?

All in all, I can count on one hand the amount of Iroshizuku inks that I would buy: Asa-gao, Kon-peki, Tsuki-yo, Ku-jaku, and Yama-guri.

And my list is even smaller: Yama-budo, Yama-guri, *maybe* Tsuyu-kusa; I love Take-sumi, but I keep wondering if I would actually use it if I bought a full bottle (I don't go for black ink much). I know everyone says that Asa-gao is their go-to blue, but I found it to be drippy. Have a sample of Kon-peki but haven't tried it (and suspect that I already have a lot of similar looking inks to either it or Ama-Iro).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

And my list is even smaller: Yama-budo, Yama-guri, *maybe* Tsuyu-kusa; I love Take-sumi, but I keep wondering if I would actually use it if I bought a full bottle (I don't go for black ink much). I know everyone says that Asa-gao is their go-to blue, but I found it to be drippy. Have a sample of Kon-peki but haven't tried it (and suspect that I already have a lot of similar looking inks to either it or Ama-Iro).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I also don't love black inks, although I fell for Sailor's Kiwa-Guro, my sample of Diamine Onyx Black is not seeing any action lately so I'm guessing Kiwa-Guro is the proverbial exception. Give me dark inks that show a bit of color like Yama-guri everyday.

fpn_1502425191__letter-mini.png

This is the reason I get most of my inks as samples first, before deciding if I should go for a full bottle. (Not to mention, a sample vial's worth is often enough to satisfy curiosity and keep as an occasional ink, and they can be quite cheap). I own 7 full-size bottles of ink, out of which I regret only one that I've yet to open (but have tried cartridges of the same ink to realize it wasn't for me), and one was a gift I had not selected myself. Sample ink vials are the greatest thing that a lot of on-line ink stores offer.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Of the four I bought, only Yama-guri has made a distinct and lasting impression on me; I'm hoping I'll be as pleased with Take-sumi. Tsuki-yo was the biggest disappointment; I kept wanting, and trying, to like it but ... no.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

To each his own, if it's Chiku RIn for me it's awesome, very cheerful colour and always well behaved, although for some reason it looks better to my eyes in a fine nib Muji than anything wider, and next to more lugubrious inks like Perle Noire or Yama Guri. And I'm running out of fingers to count my Iroshizukus!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Hi all,

Why does reading through this thread make me feel like I'm reading the menu in a Japanese restaurant... and clueless as usual? :huh:

I know what you mean, though Rosendust... I've purchased several useless inks... Lamy Charged Green, Diamine Meadow Green, Quink washable blue, Lamy red... and a couple more... so take heart... you're in good company. ;)

You were smart to learn with samples... whereas I have more money than brains. :huh:

- Anthony

to me there is no colour of ink that I actually dislike, I might dislike an ink for its flow property, saturation, light-fastness, water-proof property, price, packaging etc etc etc ... but colour, never a cause, to me any colour is just a colour, there are colour that suite certain use and situation and then not the others, period. Its about whether you find it useful for that of your need or not.

One of the qualities I demand of the Six Essential Inks is that they be legible. As a result, there are wide swaths of ink that will never make it into the list, mostly for being too light or too bright.

But lately, I've been wishing I had an orange to cheer me up a little bit.

For me there are colors of ink that I may like, but do not like them as inks.

Chiku-Rin for example: as a color is one of my wife's favorites, mine too. I would call it Spring Green for it replicates the color of the leaves as they first emerge in Spring - here in the northern regions that is a very welcome & lovely sight. As an ink - no way. Too light, way too light. I'd hate to look upon a whole page of that. Fortunately I have only the sample sized bottle. Maybe I'll find a very limited use for it someday. Likely not.

Edelstein Mandarin another. A very nice middle of the color range of oranges. As an ink - no way again. Too light. A bit dry. It makes me think I don't want any of the oranges for inks. I only had a pen filled with a sample, so no investment. I didn't even use up the sample - I emptied it after a few pages.

It is funny, though. Some ink colors that I initially dislike seem to grow on me over a short span of time. Frequently I still find I don't want to use that color as an ink.

One of the qualities I demand of the Six Essential Inks is that they be legible. As a result, there are wide swaths of ink that will never make it into the list, mostly for being too light or too bright.

But lately, I've been wishing I had an orange to cheer me up a little bit.

Yu-Yake is a daily orange for me, but I’m using it in an O3B.

I have never disliked an ink because of its color, because I almost always can find some situation where the color would be appropriate. I have dismissed a number of inks because of their properties though (feathering, dryness, bleed through, and so on).

If you want to like Chiku but can't, maybe try the equally well behaved Waka-Uguisu? It's a little darker, and, I found, surprisingly legible with a Sailor F nib (~0.5mm) on several kinds of white paper. Good review here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/308515-sailor-waka-uguisu/

hpBOJZE.jpg

That has some promise - thanks for bringing it to light.

Diamine Meadow, Autumn Oak, Sepia, Beau Blue (!), Iroshizuku Chiku Rin, Fuyu syogun, Noodler's Apache Sunset, R+K Alt Goldgrun, Herbin Vert Pre, all belong with a Glass dip pen, or any dip pen. Vintage flex nibs work well. Paint brushes and cotton swabs work very well too, as some reviews have shown.

But if one buys these inks to not use with 'suitable' pens or writing instruments, and fills them, say, into a Pilot Kakuno or Platinum 3776 fine or medium nib, Kawecos, without constantly priming the feed, and unadjusted feed or nib, and writes on Rhodia, then there is a possibility that one might be disappointed.

It certainly depends on what feel and appearance one looks for: some may want a real dreamy look - a dream that one cannot even remember, a hint of colour, to see the paper through the written line, legibility is not an issue to them then, of course, pens with frugal and highly regulative ink flow are the way to go with these inks.

I am sure every ink is useful, just that some inks need more conditions for them to shine and work (properly) - and be legible.

Edited by minddance

Only Iroshizuku ink that I'm considering to buy, is Chiku rin. But I'm just loving that bright green. But maybe I have different terms for legible ink... I have safari EF inked with Lamy neon lime and I consider it to be perfectly legible. Also I use Diamine Jade Green a lot. But then... I have 4 different black inks and most of my fountain are inked with black.

I haven't yet found ink that I don't like. But I haven't that many inks and none of them are expensive. I will order samples before buying those expensive inks, just in case I don't like color or it is too similar than what I currently have. It is so hard to judge color on photos, it may be complitely different in real life.

Edited by Inksomnia

I got some Robert Oster Fire & Ice. It has a gorgeous hot pink sheen...but only on Tomoe River paper...and with a dip-pen. On any other paper, and in a fountain pen, it's just a dark turquoise, which I find rather depressing.

Diamine Hope Pink and Kelly Green are beautifully vivid...but never as vivid as in my sink when I'm flushing them out, or on the paper towel I use as a pen-wiper.

Quink Washable Blue fades so horribly as it dries, that I soon flushed it down the loo to free up space for inks I actually use.

Herbin 1670 Emerald of Chivor is disappointing too, because the only way to bring out its sheen is to use it on Tomoe River paper, but it has terrible nib-cling, and won't work at all in a dip-nib, even one that doesn't flex.

On the other hand, Herbin 1670 Rouge Hématite is very well-behaved in a dip-pen with a Nikko G-nib, and has gorgeous sheen on several high-grade FP-friendly papers.