So Impressed With Herbin's Lie De The Ink

Intensity

Great shading (despite my Nakaya pen having a somewhat dry, very even flow that inhibits shading rather than encourages it) and that excellent water resistance! I'll probably use a different pen with it to get the most out of the shading potential. It's not advertised as water-resistant, but having read a lot of reviews I was confident it'd have some water resistance. Interestingly, it has quite a lot of it. What washes off is a very pale light brown, so it's not even smeary-looking like some saturated inks that smear away leaving a legible line behind, which still looks bad due to the smear.

I continue testing Lamy Petrol against Noodler's Aircorp Blue Black, and the two continue looking basically identical in writing and in their water resistance behavior. Petrol has a slight edge in shading and sheen (though I've yet to see any sheen from it, just judging by others' reviews that include big splashes).

Here's Lie de The next to R&K's Iron Gall Scabiosa and Sailor's pigmented Sei Boku, as well as Lamy Petrol:

ztFyyfq.jpg?1

The right and left side of the sheet were rinsed under warm running water. The inks only had about 10 minutes to dry. The word "upside down" is not washed away: it's basically how it looked before the rinsing when I attempted to write upside-down with an italic nib (does not work well with this particular pen). "R&K" was actually that light before the water test. I would say overall Lie de The fared almost as well as Scabiosa in the quick rinse scenario, only slightly worse (which is impressive given that Scabiosa is an iron gall ink). I'm sure in prolonged water exposure scenario, Scabiosa will have the edge, so I wouldn't address envelopes with Lie de The.

Scabiosa and Sei Boku were used with an italic dip pen, so there's more ink in those lines. Petrol was used with a Lamy 1.5mm nib via Lamy Safari.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Intensity

• displacermoose

• OCArt

• Almu

Lie de The is a wonderful brown ink, It is definitely one of my three best browns, the others being Mont Blanc Toffee Brown and Diamine Chocolate. Lie the The however is IMO the best "shader" by far, and on cream colored paper it is unmatched.

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense? Where is the difference between having our arms in possession and under our direction, and having them under the management of Congress? If our defense be the real object of having those arms, in whose hands can they be trusted with more propriety, or equal safety to us, as in our own hands?" Patrick Henry

In comparison, this is the behavior I find unacceptable (plus bonus Aircorp Blue Black at the bottom, all with a dip pen which admittedly increases how far ink penetrates into a page and increases water resistance)

0ci4Yj5.jpg?1

Note the page on the left with actual fountain pen writing. Top three quarters was written using Oster's Fire & Ice and bottom with Diamine ASA Blue. And that was a quick rinse of writing done weeks ago. Fire & Ice washes off almost completely. ASA blue is more resistant but smears in a bright vivid blue. In comparison, Lie de The and Scabiosa leave behind a very legible line and the smear part is very faint to be unobtrusive.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Lie de The is a wonderful brown ink, It is definitely one of my three best browns, the others being Mont Blanc Toffee Brown and Diamine Chocolate. Lie the The however is IMO the best "shader" by far, and on cream colored paper it is unmatched.

I haven't tried Chocolate but Toffee Brown and Lie de The are also my favorite browns.

I share your affection for Lie de The, but after a long layoff, I filled a pen with R&K Sepia today, and that is such a fine color, also.

I share your affection for Lie de The, but after a long layoff, I filled a pen with R&K Sepia today, and that is such a fine color, also.

I got both to use regularly :D For two different pens.

How different is J. Herbin Lie de Thé from Noodler's Golden Brown?

I have the latter and really like it. Is
Lie de Thé different enough to be worth getting?

Second your thoughts on Air Corps Blue Black being like Lamy Petrol. I could not get the Petrol ink, but I do have the pen and the Noodler's Air Corps really seems to match the pen spot-on.

Lie de the and smoky quartz are two of my favorites. Also of note are noodlers kiowa pecan (super waterproof) R&k sepia, Robert oster Khaki and bronze, akkerman Hjoppesbrun, and the more red browns of scheaffer skrip brown and pelikan 4001 brilliant brown

I wish J. Herbin would do bigger bottles of their ink. As it is, I don't like buying 30ml bottles. I'd love a 90ml bottle though!

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Lie de the and smoky quartz are two of my favorites. Also of note are noodlers kiowa pecan (super waterproof) R&k sepia, Robert oster Khaki and bronze, akkerman Hjoppesbrun, and the more red browns of scheaffer skrip brown and pelikan 4001 brilliant brown

I wish J. Herbin would do bigger bottles of their ink. As it is, I don't like buying 30ml bottles. I'd love a 90ml bottle though!

The Writing Desk has Herbin inks in 100ml bottles, I don't think I've seen them elsewhere though.

It's funny, I've had a small bottle of Le de The for about a year and didn't use it much until I got a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise. Now that is the only ink I use in my new favorite pen! A match made in heaven.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

Le de The is one of my favourite browns as well. It is a wonderful combination of beautiful and functional.

ETA: I don't know about Golden Brown, but Noodler's #41 is like a more waterproof but less shady sibling. They are very close in hue and value.

Edited by displacermoose

Yet another Sarah.