The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Interesting Article About Pelikan Pricing Strategy In Us

pelikan price us

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 justvrod

justvrod

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2017 - 13:34

I am not sure if someone has already shared this before. but, i came across this interesting article about Pelikan's pricing strategy in for US customers and how it may help the consumer. Good news for Pelikan collectors !

https://thepelikansp...price-decrease/

Sponsored Content

#2 Shaporama

Shaporama

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 19:51

Agreed.  At one time Pelikans were my favorite pens, but for the past few years they have been priced beyond what I am willing to pay.  If this signals a return to a more rational pricing model in the U.S. than that is very good news.  

BTW, during a visit to the Vancouver Pen Shop earlier this week i was told that they had stopped carrying Pelikans due to the past price  increases; obviously Canadians are feeling the pain as well.

Edited by Shaporama, 25 October 2017 - 19:52.

#3 sargetalon

sargetalon

The answer to life, the universe, and everything

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,074 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:18

Agreed.  At one time Pelikans were my favorite pens, but for the past few years they have been priced beyond what I am willing to pay.  If this signals a return to a more rational pricing model in the U.S. than that is very good news.  

BTW, during a visit to the Vancouver Pen Shop earlier this week i was told that they had stopped carrying Pelikans due to the past price  increases; obviously Canadians are feeling the pain as well.

Yes, all of North America has had similar experiences.  Chartpak is also the distributor for Canada.  I thinks it's too soon to tell where prices are going to land.  To complicate the issue, I hear rumor of a price increase planned for the European market in 2018.  No details available yet.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count.  My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,857 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:32

The US prices for modern Pelikans is why I've bought several from Missing Pens (Rolf Thiel's eBay store).  Even with higher shipping charges, the savings over the US prices were considerable (roughly $40-50), and Rolf is very reputable.  I would not hesitate to send someone to him.

Yes, I'd love to be able to patronize US businesses, so hopefully this is not a one-time occurrence (and hopefully their solution is to NOT raise European prices).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:10

Yes, all of North America has had similar experiences.  Chartpak is also the distributor for Canada.  I thinks it's too soon to tell where prices are going to land.  To complicate the issue, I hear rumor of a price increase planned for the European market in 2018.  No details available yet.

So perhaps they are trying to dissuade the US market from buying from Europe? And/or make up the decrease. I'm no economist, but that would fit with what your theory was, Joshua. 

#6 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,748 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:17

Step 1.) Be stupid

Step 2.) Charge 30% more in America than you do everywhere else

Step 3.) Create a black market that winds up hurting your US retailers.

Step 4.) don't profit?

I wish I could have bought my edelstein inks from a US vendor. But when the discount from germany, with free shipping, is MORE THAN THIRTY PERCENT, I just can't help but shake my head. It takes a spectacular moron to think they're doing the right thing. If they jack their prices to ~$30 USD worldwide, they're just going to lose all their business from me, period. 

I've always liked pelikan pens, but I've basically decided the only ones I'll ever own are a greg minuskin kissed vintage 140.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 26 October 2017 - 06:19.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, price, us

Sponsored Content

|