Gvf Guilloche Resin Cognac

Goose746

Over the past year I have become somewhat hooked into collecting fountain pens. It began with a purchase of a Sheaffer Intensity M-SS Nib from a local pen shop in the City. Soon, I purchased my first gold nib pen, a Lamy 2000 from an online store and then...look out! Along came a Faber Castell Ambition in Pearwood M-SS nib, then a Pilot Vanishing Point 18Ct M nib, 2 Lamy Safari's M-SS and 1.5mm SS nibs, and my newest acquisition...a Graf-Von Faber Castell Guilloche Resin Cognac 18Ct F nib. This is the pen that I am reviewing today. There is a lot of good information on this pen that gives overall measurements and weight etc...so I will not go into that. This review is of my first impressions and first 24 hours of its use.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1508272527__img_4402.jpg

Now...everyone always starts off with the packaging so why be different. It comes in a nice white cardboard box that has two overlapping flaps that are held down with some sort of a magnetic system. When you open these flaps, you are greeted with the pen in an attractive cloth sleeve that keeps the pen well protected. The box has 3 slots so you can store 3 pens side by side and seeing it is the exact same box my Faber Castell Ambition came in...I now can store 6 fountain pens. It's even big enough to hold my 2 Lamy Safari pens side by side and I can still close the flaps.

Ok. Enough about the box! On to my first impressions.

It is certainly a beautiful pen. I was not the least bit disappointed with the etched design on the barrel and the cap is a beautiful work of art. From the etching around the top of the cap, to the clip and logo...it just looks good. There was a fair bit of discussion on the internet about the size of the pen and until you see it in person and actually hold it, you don't really realize how small it is. It is shorter than my Ambition when capped, but it does end up being a bit longer when the cap is posted.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1508272596__img_4394.jpg

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1508272640__img_4396.jpg

The upside to the overall length is, if you put your pens in your shirt pocket like I do, it sits quite nicely showing off the top of the cap and the clip. Some of my other fountain pens have fallen out of my shirt pocket due to their length and the limited amount of clip actually holding them in.

It is very light with the cap un-posted, and I really don't mind the balance when the cap is posted. I know some have commented that this is an issue as they feel it's top heavy...just saying...it doesn't bother me. I don't have large hands...probably average...yet this pen is fairly slender and small while using it. The section is metal and is also slender an so far it feels not too bad but I will have to see how comfortable it is after hours of use. The converter that came with it fits nice and snug in the section and the barrel fits over the converter with little room to spare. It is a nice tight fit and along with the fine threads when you screw the barrel on, there is no wobble what so ever! One small beef I have though is there is a bit of step up between the section and the barrel. It might not bother some, but it is right where my thumb sits and I can certainly feel it. I am disappointed that those two parts didn't match up better. The Lamy 2000 does an amazing job of this and you would be hard pressed to see where the screw down piston is and the break point at the front to access the nib etc... Not a deal breaker...just a beef!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1508272720__img_4393.jpg

The Nib.

It is a soft 18Ct gold nib and it has a beautiful single colour design on it. You have to go up one more level to get the two tone nib, but I understand that they are the same nibs anyways so you are not getting a better quality by moving up.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1508272786__img_4387.jpg

It is very soft and you can see the flex in the nib when writing. I have the Fine nib and it does tend to feel a bit "Scratchy" depending on the quality of the paper you are writing on. On Rhodia paper it is silky smooth. I have seen a bit of ink creep on the nib, but it may just be the ink I am using. Currently I have Sailor Jentle Riku-Cha in the pen so I will do some experimenting with other inks to see if this is just an isolated case.

Writing experience.

The pen leaves a real nice wet fine line...but not so wet that it takes for ever for the ink to dry. As mentioned earlier, it is a bit "Scratchy" with the fine nib on some paper, but otherwise I have no complaints with the amount of ink it leaves and the smoothness of the nib on paper. One issue that I have been having is the pen running dry, even with a full converter of ink. I thought it might be that I didn't give the pen a good enough cleaning when I received it, but I have since given it a thorough cleaning and I am still having issues. Again...maybe its the Sailor ink I am using, or perhaps its when the pen is posted and sitting in my pocket and the ink flows away from the nib. Not sure what it is so again I will be experimenting with other inks and hopefully that is all it is.

Conclusion

So - Is this pen worth the $$$'s. I paid $323 Canadian before taxes and although it is a beautiful pen, I feel that my Lamy 2000 for which I only paid $189 for, writes just as nice. Now the Lamy has an ultra modern design/look to it and the Graf-Von Faber Castell has some real class to it. Is the class worth and extra $134...not sure. I may only ink and reach for this pen on special occasions but who knows....the more I use it and if I can get the dry ink issue solved - I could be a good contender for an every day use pen!

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/uploads/imgs/fpn_1508272847__img_4397.jpg

As an update, I purchased GVF Midnight Blue ink and was still having issues with the pen running dry on me so I have been in touch with GVF and the pen is now off to the Customer Service Centre in Ontario for Warranty. Bit disappointed as I only just received the pen and now it is off….at my shipping expense to say the least. I will update once I have the pen back again!

Edited by Goose746

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Goose746

• jar

• s_t_e_v_e

• dapprman

Sounds like they have gone up in price since I got mine even though the $C was about equal to the $US when I bought mine IIRC.

http://www.fototime.com/E709C84FA0B6CF7/large.jpg

When the nib runs dry, perhaps take a look at the converter, and see if the ink is stuck near the top of the converter?

I had the same ink starvation issue, where it seems that the ink was up in the converter and not delivered to the feed. A simple and gentle shake, or a converter that has an agitator may help. Actually it seems that GvFC starts to put a converter with an agitator inside in the recent releases.

Selling part of my pen and ink collection: https://alwayssunnyalwaysreal.wordpress.com/for-sale/

Aurora Optima Mare | Diplomat Aero (SOLD) | Diplomat Excellence A Skyline (SOLD) | Faber-Castell E-Motion Pure Black (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Translucent Bronze (SOLD) | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Antique Glass (SOLD)

Graf von Faber-Castell Classic Grenadilla (SOLD) | Graf von Faber-Castell Tamitio Black/Rosé (SOLD) | Karas Kustoms Ink Red Aluminum (SOLD) | Lamy 2000 (SOLD) | Lamy AL-star CopperOrange | Lamy Scala Dark Violet | Lamy Scala Glacier | Montegrappa Fortuna Mosaico Marrakech (SOLD) | Omas Ogiva Alba Green

Parker IM Midnight Astral | Pelikan Classic M120 Iconic Blue | Pelikan Classic M200 Demonstrator | Pelikan Classic M200 Green-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Classic M205 Blue-Marbled (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Black-Green/Black-Red/Tortoiseshell-White (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M400 Tortsoiseshell-White | Pelikan Souverän M405 Black-Blue-Silver (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M600 Violet-White | Pelikan Souverän M605 Solid Dark Blue | Pelikan Souverän M805 Stresemann (SOLD) | Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green (SOLD) | Pilot Falcon Black/Rhodium (SOLD)

Pilot Vanishing Point Blue Carbonesque (SOLD) | Platinum 3776 Century Nice Pur | Sailor 1911L Anchor Gray/Fresca Blue/Key Lime/Royal Tangerine/Stormy Sea (SOLD) | Sailor 1911S Color Blue (SOLD) | Sailor Professional Gear Slim Four Seasons Yukitsubaki Snow Camellia (SOLD) | TWSBI ECO Transparent Green | TWSBI ECO Transparent Yellow | TWSBI Diamond 580AL Blue/Lava Orange (SOLD) | TWSBI Vac 700 (SOLD) | Visconti Homo Sapiens Steel Age Midi (SOLD) | Visconti Van Gogh Sunflowers (SOLD) | Waterman Carène Ombres et Lumières | AND MORE!

Sounds like they have gone up in price since I got mine even though the $C was about equal to the $US when I bought mine IIRC.

http://www.fototime.com/E709C84FA0B6CF7/large.jpg

Very nice collection....they have gone up in price I guess....the regular price of the Guilloche was $425 but I got mine on sale...the Classic is now $650. A lot of money for a pen!

When the nib runs dry, perhaps take a look at the converter, and see if the ink is stuck near the top of the converter?

I had the same ink starvation issue, where it seems that the ink was up in the converter and not delivered to the feed. A simple and gentle shake, or a converter that has an agitator may help. Actually it seems that GvFC starts to put a converter with an agitator inside in the recent releases.

I did check into that....The ink was not stuck at the top of the converter. The service rep felt that it was a defective feed so that is why it's on it's way to Ontario for warranty. Hopefully it will come back as a good working pen.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE TO POST

So I sent the pen away, at my expense, and a few weeks later it came back repaired. (Again at my expense!) Turns out I had a bad feed so now that it is replaced it is now working as it should of from initial purchase. It is leaving a big wet line...almost too wet for me but at least it is not skipping anymore. I have been trying to give this pen good use, but there is something that is just not sitting well with me. It is awfully small for me and it's too small when unposed and almost too long when posted. I don't like the metal section as it is slippery and too small for my liking. I did so much research before purchase and I am now full of regret! I purchased a Sailor 1911S, paid over $150.00 less, and although it too is a bit on the small side, I am totally enjoying using it. i did get a bit of a deal on the pen, but when you now add in shipping to be repaired only after a few days of use, the savings are now gone! Not sure if I will ever purchase another Gvf pen again!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE TO POST

So I sent the pen away, at my expense, and a few weeks later it came back repaired. (Again at my expense!) Turns out I had a bad feed so now that it is replaced it is now working as it should of from initial purchase. It is leaving a big wet line...almost too wet for me but at least it is not skipping anymore. I have been trying to give this pen good use, but there is something that is just not sitting well with me. It is awfully small for me and it's too small when unposed and almost too long when posted. I don't like the metal section as it is slippery and too small for my liking. I did so much research before purchase and I am now full of regret! I purchased a Sailor 1911S, paid over $150.00 less, and although it too is a bit on the small side, I am totally enjoying using it. i did get a bit of a deal on the pen, but when you now add in shipping to be repaired only after a few days of use, the savings are now gone! Not sure if I will ever purchase another Gvf pen again!

Did you say that you had to pay them for repairs in addition to the shipping (to and from) cost? If it was under warranty, you shouldn't have had to pay anything additional. Did they specifically give you a quote for the repair or was it just one flat charge for return shipping and handling?

There was thread about poor customer service from GvFC here on FPN. Seems like you were a victim too.

something that is just not sitting well with me. It is awfully small for me and it's too small when unposed and almost too long when posted. I don't like the metal section as it is slippery and too small for my liking. I did so much research before purchase and I am now full of regret! Hi Were you not aware of your size or section material preferences before purchase? These seem like the things i would research. Writing badly is a gamble granted, but this sounds like you researched, ignored and bought anyway.

In defense of the OP he does have a F-Ca Ambition, which is a similar size. It's possible he has started using fatter pens since and so the GvFC seems too thin to him. I seemed to have similar issues when my Guilloche Chevron arrived, but after a while it became comfortable again. As to the slippy grip - not a problem for me, but I seem to do better with metal sections that others (though I'd not describe my hands as dry).

On customer services - seems an issue for US people with European pens, almost certainly because warranty work is normally handled by a third party, who do change occasionally (like with Lamy recently).

Did you say that you had to pay them for repairs in addition to the shipping (to and from) cost? If it was under warranty, you shouldn't have had to pay anything additional. Did they specifically give you a quote for the repair or was it just one flat charge for return shipping and handling?

There was thread about poor customer service from GvFC here on FPN. Seems like you were a victim too.

Bad sentence structure on my part....I only had to pay shipping both ways....the repair was done under warranty. I was more disappointed that I had to add 2 shippings costs to a brand new pen that I had only used for no more than an hour of writing... Apologies for the confusion.

something that is just not sitting well with me. It is awfully small for me and it's too small when unposed and almost too long when posted. I don't like the metal section as it is slippery and too small for my liking. I did so much research before purchase and I am now full of regret! Hi Were you not aware of your size or section material preferences before purchase? These seem like the things i would research. Writing badly is a gamble granted, but this sounds like you researched, ignored and bought anyway.

Fair comments....I did research but I did not ignore and bought anyway. My initial review was when I first received the pen and were my own personal impressions. I did realize the pen was on the smaller size before purchase and figured that would not bother me seeing that I already had the ambition which is also on the smaller side. After having had the issue with the pen running dry and having to pay shipping both ways for the warranty repair....then once I had a chance to actually use the pen this is when it became apparent....for me....that I regretted the purchase. I have since sold the pen to try and re-coup some of my cost to purchase and repair and will put that money towards something else that better fits.

One can do a lot of research on pens and still get it wrong when the pen is actually in the hand. Been there, done that several times.

Granted that sometimes we get excited about a pen, ignore all signs and go for it even when we might know that it wont work for us. But sometimes no matter how well we research, the pen may still not be a good fit.

The best thing to do is try the pen out but that again is not always possible.

Edited by s_t_e_v_e

That's why I always buy a pen in a store and not online. I take my own ink and paper for a few dry runs and that works. Buying an ink online is easier.

That's why I always buy a pen in a store and not online. I take my own ink and paper for a few dry runs and that works. Buying an ink online is easier.

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

Bad sentence structure on my part....I only had to pay shipping both ways....the repair was done under warranty. I was more disappointed that I had to add 2 shippings costs to a brand new pen that I had only used for no more than an hour of writing... Apologies for the confusion.

That's disappointing, a manufacturer should ALWAYS pay for at least one side of the shipping.

Even Yafa does. That's worrying to hear that faber castell has such garbage customer service.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Even Yafa does. That's worrying to hear that faber castell has such garbage customer service.

Think it's who ever they use in the US. Mine (bought only about 4 or 5 months ago) had nib creep so went back via the retailer I bought it from - no problems there aside from GvFC/FC being a little slow. I've also noticed (and it was the same for Lamy) you'll see others on here from Europe praising their service and others from the US complaining about it being poor.

Think it's who ever they use in the US. Mine (bought only about 4 or 5 months ago) had nib creep so went back via the retailer I bought it from - no problems there aside from GvFC/FC being a little slow. I've also noticed (and it was the same for Lamy) you'll see others on here from Europe praising their service and others from the US complaining about it being poor.

Still sucks that they keep them on. I can't wait for TWSBI to just f**king dump their US rep. That guy is an absolute ass.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Still sucks that they keep them on. I can't wait for TWSBI to just f**king dump their US rep. That guy is an absolute ass.

Not going to happen in a hurry: unless I'm mistaken he's the big boss's son. I've always found him pretty reasonable to deal with, but I've read reports from others who've gotten a less friendly response.

Hi Goose746

I can only see links not pictures in your original post. However, they are FPN links. I wondered if maybe you used the Upload tab, but somehow copied and pasted the wrong link. It should be the middle link of the 3 that are available. The BB Code link: Like this

fpn_1508272527__img_4402.jpg