The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Dried Up Carts

cross dried ink cartrdge cart

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 adamselene

adamselene

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:58

I guess I have more than a dozen brands of ink carts. Cross carts seem to me to be remarkably prone to drying up. I've brought blister packs home from the store to find most of the carts appearing half-empty, and I. have 100s of older carts, some of which just have a powder inside.

Anyone observe this?

Edited by adamselene, 17 October 2017 - 12:59.

Sponsored Content

#2 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2017 - 17:23

Ink is mostly water.  While plastics are "waterproof", they are rarely "vapor-proof".  In tiny increments, the water turns to vapor, and seeps through the porous plastic.  If you wish to use the ink in the cartridge, install the cartridge, then remove the cartridge.  Inject distilled water to fill 75% full, then agitate to dissolve the ink solids thoroughly.  A good way is to use a medical syringe to inject the water, then extract and inject several times.  Be patient for complete dissolving.

Hundreds of cartridges ?  You have enough ink for years.  Save the empties for refilling with bottle ink.  

http://www.ebay.com/...119.m1438.l2649

This syringe has a large capacity, and comes with one sharp needle and one blunted needle.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

Sponsored Content

|