This one is Diamine Golden Ivy
It’s a strong, saturated, dark ivy green ink with some nice shading and sheen as well as gold shimmer.
It’s a similar shade to Diamine Tropical Green (150th Anniversary) but leans more green and slightly less blue than that ink.
I found it a very wet and well flowing ink.
It had very good lubrication with the pens I tried it with.
With broader nibs it looks much more saturated than it does with finer nibs, although it’s wet enough to show the gold shimmer with all nibs.
It showed through on some of the papers I used.
The pens I used were a Jinhao Pearl Windows with M nib, Lamy Nexx M Stub 1.1mm nib, Lamy Nexx M F nib.
In the past my Jinhao Pearl Windows pen has occasionally dried out when it has contained a shimmer ink. This one is wetter, so it hasn’t dried out in my pen.
The comparison inks were swabbed with a cotton bud and their ink names were written with a glass dip pen.
I found Golden Ivy a well-behaved ink. I didn’t experience any ignition or clogging problems with it. I had no problem cleaning it out of pens using cold water or off of skin using soap and warm water.
It is not sold as a waterproof ink but it is water resistant.
The Mebin UK Notebook I used was supplied by someone on FPN who sold TR 68gsm Notebooks. The paper in the Mebin UK Notebook is quite thick at 95gsm, it’s acid free, and has a really smooth surface with no drag or tooth at all. Inks generally take longer to dry on this paper, so wetter inks tend to pool and I knew that they would show their shimmer well enough for me to photograph the sheen.
The Moleskine Notebook is a UK clone, and I found there was very little spread on it.
- Flow Rate: Wet, very good.
- Lubrication: Wet, very good
- Nib Dry-out: Not noticed.
- Start-up: Immediate.
- Saturation: A saturated ink
- Shading Potential: Very good; shading can easily be seen.
- Sheen: Gold shimmer
- Tomoe River 52gsm.
- Cheaper generic 80gsm printer papers & lined pads.
- Field Notes
- Spread / Feathering: Not seen
- Nib Creep / “Crud”: Not seen, even after over a week in the pen
- Staining (pen): Not seen - easy clean-up
- Staining (hands): Not seen - easy clean-up
- Clogging: Not seen. Seems unlikely.
- Water resistance: Has some water resistance.
- Availability: Will be available from Diamine Inks web-site and other outlets.
Back Mebin, then Back Moleskine