Conway Stuart 570 Lumina Blue

Flicks

Hi all, I just bought a boxed set of Conway Stuart 570 Lumina Blue pen and pencil, the pen has 570 on it and the pencil has 54 on it. I know nothing about them any help like age and collectibility would be appreciated, it was a Charity impulse but at £5.00, they look in great shape comes with a oblong box with silk padding, grey strip box with clear plastic lid. There is a lift filler if that is the term I do not know how old they are and maybe they are worthless. Help please. Many thanks. Bob.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mallymal1

• ralfstc

• northlodge

• Flicks

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Bob... :W2FPN:

Sounds like you got yourself a bargain.

Did you find the information you were looking for? Also, is there a chance of a photo of your set?

I take it that you aren't a pen person, so I was just wondering what prompted you to buy it? For resale, or just because....?

Malcolm :)

Bob, you should pop back to that charity shop tomorrow morning and give them another £15. You would still have a bargain, and they would have received a meaningful contribution for the item that was originally donated.

Dating from the early 1960's, In working order this would be worth £30 and upwards.

quote from northlodge ................. "you should pop back to that charity shop tomorrow morning and give them another £15. You would still have a bargain, and they would have received a meaningful contribution for the item that was originally donated. Dating from the early 1960's, In working order this would be worth £30 and upwards."

I can imagine this generated a lot of personal opinion both for and against - albeit without any of it being posted. :) I agree with the sentiment of being generous and have donated shed loads of stuff over the years (most of my C19 and older glass), and occasionally I will buy cheaply from one shop and donate to another with information why they need to quadruple the price. But ........... if I'm asked, as I was this morning, what I wanted to pay for pens then my offer will be a fair bit below the market value - most of the time their pens carry a reasonable price tag, so this situation applies to only a minority of occasions.

Most charity shops are now street wise as to value, and can access on line auction sites to assess values, and if not they usually know some kind soul who gives them an approximate value.

I no longer work and older pre-owned pens aren't getting any less expensive, so I need to find some bargains, as I did today, and have a feeling that most of us who work the charity shops feel the same about wanting a bargain. I've had some real gems over the past few years, although it's getting more difficult to find such bargains.

I also have a red Lumina 570 f.p., which I'm sure would have cost me a lot less than the £20 being suggested as a fair price. Obviously, it depends on how serious you are toward C.S. items, but it's a vintage and inexpensive pen, and I'm not sure that the price tag of '£30 and upwards' is justified, but of course I do appreciate that the value of anything is the result of a combination of personal factors, most of which are generated by collector obsession. :)