Is Montblanc 149 As Robust As A Pelikan M800 Or Lamy 2000?

rammarur

Hi all,

I have decided to take a plunge into the world of Montblanc. I always loved the aura around the 149, at the same time concerned with some of the feedback that the cap lip is prone to cracking, so is the barrel at the joint where it attaches to the section.

I had a chance to try out the 149 at the MB boutique in Frankfurt airport this year and I loved the way the pen felt. Unposted, it had the perfect balance, posted though, it was too back-heavy. The rose gold finished nib is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I think what makes it beautiful is the inside-out curvature from the base to the shoulder, which are opposite to the pens curvature itself!

I didn't notice the seam of the molding near the threads under the bright yellow light. Is it visible, or does MB buff it off?

Now the negatives (actually, not so positives!),

1) I did notice that the cap lip is very thin compared to Pelikan M800. I have heard that the new version of the precious resin is better than before. So, is this think cap lip strong enough to handle the daily use?

2) The Medium nib wrote broader than a Broad. The boutique guys used MB ink and Rhodia paper for the test. So it is not the ink and paper, it's the nib.

3) I don't have the habit of posting the cap, however noticed that the cap didn't post securely at all.

4) The gold trim didn't look to be as robust as in the vintage Montblancs I had seen.

Request your comments/opinions.

Thanks & Regards,

Raghuram Marur.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rammarur

• max dog

• Ghost Plane

• wspohn

I think they are as robust if not more robust than Pelikans or Lamy 2000 pens. You can also unscrew the nib unit on the latest version too.

Western M nibs are often broader than you think

Many well known experts will tell you that in their opinion the Pelikan 800 series is the best made pen in the world, bar none.

Montblanc are very clever, they create desire by effective marketing so that if you buy the Pelikan in preference to the 149 because the Pelikan is better made you will still want the 149.

Buy the 149.

The '50-60's 149 will have a much better nib. The early '50's have a more delicate telescope piston.

I'd expect the 149 to be as sturdy as the rest.

I have a 146 from that era but it is smaller than my '70s-80 one. The 149 was and remains an oversized pen that and later eras.

The nib is a maxi-semi-flex....others should be on the whole semi-flex. The other two I have from that era are.

Discounting Osmia/O-F-C which marked it's semi-flex with a diamond and maxi-semi-flex nibs as Supra, its luck to have maxi-semi-flex. I run at one in 5.

I find a 146 to be less clunky than a 800. With the 149 and 1000 I've only tried them in my B&M and find both too honking big....and thick. Writing with a billy club.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

I have both an M805 and two MB 146's. The medium nib in my 146 writes to the same line width as the medium in my Pelikan M805 (both of mine write a 0.6mm line) . They are both high quality pens and to me they just feel "right". I don't normal post my pens and like them both unposted. The M805 is a little more back heavy of the two. My 146M is from the 1990's and my 146B is from the 1980's. I do like the ink windows better on MB's then striped Pelikan models.

Sorry I don't have a 149 to compare, but its basically the same as the 146 but scaled up more like a M1000 is to a M800.

I think all three are robust as long as you care for them. If you plan on regularly using the pens in less than ideal conditions (e.g., on a construction site, while riding a bike, etc) I'd probably go with the Lamy 2000 because of the snap cap and cheaper price (i.e., if the pen is at risk to be broken don't spend as much). As long as you're generally in office-like conditions you should be fine with any of them.

Other things to consider…

The MB 149 is the largest of the group, the 2000 the smallest. Some people with small hands don't like the 149 and some with large hands might not like the 2000.

Do you like soft or rigid nibs? None of the three should be used for flex-writing but based on my experience the 149 has a softer nib than the M800 or 2000.

On average, the nib widths of the three brands are similar but you can expect some variation between pens.

The 149 is probably the most iconic of the group and most widely recognizable by non-pen people. The M800 is also very classy looking. The 2000 design is much more subtle. If you want people to notice your pen go with the 149 or M800; if you want the pen to be more subtle go for the 2000.

If you make lots of short notes the 2000's snap cap might be advantageous over the twist caps of the other brands. The M800 cap removes with a 3/4 rotation twist, the 149 is just shy of 2 rotations.

I like all three pens for different reasons. Agreeing with a previous comment, the M800 is close to my ideal pen. I really enjoy its size, performance, and general looks. It strikes a nice balance on a variety of the criteria I care about.

Hello,

I have multiple copies of both the 149 (you have to have one in each trim color right?) and the M800 and as far as quality of construction or durability, I can't find much difference. They are both made equally well of high quality materials that should last a lifetime if taken care of.

I don't abuse my pens but, use them daily in an office setting and I've never had an issue with either my M800s or 149s or 146s for that matter having any issues with trim plating flaking off or cap cracks or anything of the sort.

I do agree that the German medium nibs do write more like everyone else's broad so if that is a concern, just get one size finer nib than you would in a Japanese pen.

But, by all means, buy the 149, you won't be disappointed in my humble opinion.

If you hunt Tom Kellie’s posts, he has pictures of his 149s in use on an African wildlife photo trip. If that’s not sturdy and reliable, I don’t know what is.

I don't have a large enough sample to generalize. But I can say that the Lamy 2000 is rather legendary for durability. A few years ago there was a thread about dropping one off a building. I have not heard anything in particular one way or the other about the Pelikan. In the past, there have been complaints about the MB plastic being fragile--not so much that it is too thin as that it is brittle. They may or may not have reformulated it to address this problem--I don't know. My personal experience with a 146 was that mine cracked at the barrel end seam and required two trips to Germany (at my expense) to stop leaking. But that is one pen from many years ago.

As Beechwood said, if you have been influenced by MB's image marketing, you will probably not be satisfied until you own one in any case. So consider: if you purchased, say, the Lamy, and it was perfect for you, would you still lust after the 149? If so, you can save a few hundred dollars by just giving in.

ron

I have an early/mid 1990s 146, I am not nice to it. It is always inked. I go on trips and leave it inked. I forget to flush it. I put any old crazy ink in it.

It is DEAD reliable. I am kind of shocked. Super low maintenance. Starts up every time. Never would have predicted it but I adore mine. Great writer, an ergonomic winner (of course as it is the exact same size, dimensions and nearly identical in morphology to the Sheaffer OS Balance) and a really good writer.

I love my 805 as well. Sold my Lamy 2k as it seemed like a boring Parker 45, and frankly, inferior to my P45 Insignia and I don't like the minimalist design but it did fit well in my hand and struck me as tough as nails.

I still think my MB edges out my M805 and has more charm but that is all down to taste. Some like creamy peanut butter some like chunky.

Looking for a cap for a Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Deluxe Fat version

I think they are as robust if not more robust than Pelikans or Lamy 2000 pens. You can also unscrew the nib unit on the latest version too.

Western M nibs are often broader than you think

Considering I hear of cracks way more often on MB pens than Pelikan's, I'd disagree.

The 149 is a great work horse at work. The large nib is very resistant to dry out when left uncapped, compared to the others mentioned. I have a tendency to inadvertently leave the nib exposed for long periods during meetings and I like the 149 nib will start writing right away even after nearly an hour exposed some times. This is also a function of the ink I know, but the huge wet nib of the 149 makes a difference.

Hi all,

I have decided to take a plunge into the world of Montblanc. I always loved the aura around the 149, at the same time concerned with some of the feedback that the cap lip is prone to cracking, so is the barrel at the joint where it attaches to the section.

I had a chance to try out the 149 at the MB boutique in Frankfurt airport this year and I loved the way the pen felt. Unposted, it had the perfect balance, posted though, it was too back-heavy. The rose gold finished nib is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. I think what makes it beautiful is the inside-out curvature from the base to the shoulder, which are opposite to the pens curvature itself!

I didn't notice the seam of the molding near the threads under the bright yellow light. Is it visible, or does MB buff it off?

Now the negatives (actually, not so positives!),

1) I did notice that the cap lip is very thin compared to Pelikan M800. I have heard that the new version of the precious resin is better than before. So, is this think cap lip strong enough to handle the daily use?

2) The Medium nib wrote broader than a Broad. The boutique guys used MB ink and Rhodia paper for the test. So it is not the ink and paper, it's the nib.

3) I don't have the habit of posting the cap, however noticed that the cap didn't post securely at all.

4) The gold trim didn't look to be as robust as in the vintage Montblancs I had seen.

Thanks & Regards,

Raghuram Marur.

I have several MBs, Pelikans and Lamys.

I find the 149 a very robust pen, ideal for the stress of daily usage. OTOH two M800s have failed me miserably. One was bought in 2008 from a shop in Bombay brand new, it cracked at the section barrel seam, the other one bought brand new in 2009 from Germany also cracked in 2016 after 7 years of intermittently regular use but this time it was catastrophic, the section separated leaving jagged edges. The first pen was exclusively used with Waterman BB, the second one with Florida blue. The pens broke during normal usage, not a fall etc. You should be able to find my older posts on FPN detailing these incidents. HOWEVER Pelikan service in Germany was outstanding and my pens were repaired and returned to me free of charge both times(I had to send the pens to Germany at my cost and risk from India). The first M800's clip has developed corrosion patches leading to plating loss indicating poor base preparation, the second one is OK.

MB 149s OTOH have held up very well for me and are more immune to signs of aging that develop due to daily use riding in my shirt pocket, their gold plating is also more robust in my experience.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Thanks & Regards,

Raghuram Marur.

When you post the cap, give the cap a slight knudge and twist to the left or right as you post it. It will stay on securely then. I always post the cap on the 149 when I use it despite it's size. Super comfortable!

Edited by max dog

I have several MBs, Pelikans and Lamys.

I find the 149 a very robust pen, ideal for the stress of daily usage. OTOH two M800s have failed me miserably. One was bought in 2008 from a shop in Bombay brand new, it cracked at the section barrel seam, the other one bought brand new in 2009 from Germany also cracked in 2016 after 7 years of intermittently regular use but this time it was catastrophic, the section separated leaving jagged edges. The first pen was exclusively used with Waterman BB, the second one with Florida blue. The pens broke during normal usage, not a fall etc. You should be able to find my older posts on FPN detailing these incidents. HOWEVER Pelikan service in Germany was outstanding and my pens were repaired and returned to me free of charge both times(I had to send the pens to Germany at my cost and risk from India). The first M800's clip has developed corrosion patches leading to plating loss indicating poor base preparation, the second one is OK.

MB 149s OTOH have held up very well for me and are more immune to signs of aging that develop due to daily use riding in my shirt pocket, their gold plating is also more robust in my experience.

Thanks so much for the details Hari. Much appreciated.

I have one M800 and two 149’s. The M800 and one of the 149’s are bulletproof, the cockroaches of fountain pens. The one 149 is frankly a piece of junk and it feels like it has spent most of it’s life in the post between my house and there Montblanc repair centre, who have been wonderfully accommodating.

I guess what I am saying is that both are fabulous pens but one never knows.

I'll put in that the nibs on the Lamy and Pelican are more easily swappable by users. Chrissy mentioned you can unscrew a 149 nin, but this is only in the last few years and they don't sell spares in different sizes unlike Pelikan and Lamy.

I own 3 M800s currently but own like 8 M800s nibs as I just use one or two bodies. To get as much variation with my 149s, I have to own a lot more pens (which I do as I like the 149 better).

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

You can?! You don't need that tool anymore? When did they make this change? If so, this is fantastic news. A non-removable nib unit (and the resulting difficulty in cleaning the pen that it brings with it) is one of the things that always kept me from owning a 149.

Edited by Kevan