The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Monteverde Monza = Jinhao 992 (First Impressions)

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 Ian the Jock

Ian the Jock

Education is important...But fountain pens are importanter

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts
  • Location:Cumbernauld (Numb n cauld), West Central Scotland (the cold damp bit)
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 17:35

Lets be comletely honest about it.
Monteverde/Yafa ordered up cheap pens from a chinese manufacturer (jinhao/baoer or whoever) who will produce pens for any customers, had them rebranded, and sells them at a huge markup, although not quite as huge as reported, as rebranding/adding nibs adds to the initial cost.

It's still a cheap rebranded Chinese pen when all is said and done.

I'm surprised that the Chinese aren't being blamed for selling Monteverde/yafa a knockoff of a knocked off knockoff, with M/Y being a completely innocent party of course, even though they have done the exact same thing previously with one of the Conklins iirc.

A cheaper version of Sailor :D :D :D

Ian

It’s a well kent fact that Scotland (The Land Of The Rising Water) has the most beautiful, picturesque, colourful, history laden landscape in the world.

It’s just a shame that you can only look at it through a rain soaked car window.

Every cloud though,  If there was no rain, there’d be no RAINBOWS.

My top tip:-

If you are walking the dog through mountain bike country.....don't wear headphones.

Sponsored Content

#42 jekostas

jekostas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 20:01

They 100% know about it because Goulet told them the similarity and then got back the answer that they didn't have business with Jinhao.

Yafa knew about the 992 well, well before this.  There's basically no way they couldn't have.

#43 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:05

Yafa knew about the 992 well, well before this.  There's basically no way they couldn't have.

God forbid someone at Yafa do a five minute cursory googling.

Like I said, this is a shameful insult to the fountain pen world.

#44 woleizihan

woleizihan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 16:17

That's what I believe but someone doesn't (like to) believe that. I was trying to point out there is definite evidence showing that Yama at least knew the similarity BEFORE they released the pen to market and chose to do nothing about it. I think this already indicates the business strategy of Yama pretty well.

#45 bongo47

bongo47

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 18:42

I bought two Monza's (a clear and smoke) from Goulet to take part in the ink deal. Got them Monday of this week.  I had a Jinhao 992, which suffered the crack issue after only a few weeks a few months ago.  I was hopeful that Monteverde would somehow not have the problem.  I inked up the clear yesterday, and the smoke today. Noticed however, that the clear one already has a hairline crack near the plug!  What's weird is that the smoke version has two molded reinforcements near the plug that the clear one does not.  Hoping that means maybe that one is a new-and-improved version that won't crack.  We'll see, but surprised Goulet is selling these flawed pens.  Kind of bummed and disappointed about that.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

#46 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:22

I bought two Monza's (a clear and smoke) from Goulet to take part in the ink deal. Got them Monday of this week.  I had a Jinhao 992, which suffered the crack issue after only a few weeks a few months ago.  I was hopeful that Monteverde would somehow not have the problem.  I inked up the clear yesterday, and the smoke today. Noticed however, that the clear one already has a hairline crack near the plug!  What's weird is that the smoke version has two molded reinforcements near the plug that the clear one does not.  Hoping that means maybe that one is a new-and-improved version that won't crack.  We'll see, but surprised Goulet is selling these flawed pens.  Kind of bummed and disappointed about that.

Contact Goulet, they will offer you a full refund in store credit, no questions asked.

Also, no. None of them are improved enough to not crack. Jinhao will likely never have the tolerances to make a plug like that that fits securely via intereference without cracking, with the low quality plastic they use. They need to just redesign the barrel mold so it's a solid piece. If they do that, they'll have a freaking phenomenal pen.

#47 DanielleE

DanielleE

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 17:44

I received and inked up a Jinhao 992 F nib pen today. It really seems smooth and my first thought is that I like it more than the Monza. I am still waiting for a Jinhao 992 EF pen.

#48 calvin_0

calvin_0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 16:04

I just receive my Monteverde Monza from goulet... it's identical to Jinhao 992... really dont buy this pen unless you get the free ink promotion from goulet..

#49 TSherbs

TSherbs

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,410 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 23:09

I just receive my Monteverde Monza from goulet... it's identical to Jinhao 992... really dont buy this pen unless you get the free ink promotion from goulet..

How's the ink you got with it?

#50 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:05

I got fireopal. It might be one of my top ten favorite inks of all time.  heavy shading orange with a vivid silver sheen on good paper. It's killer.

I also have emerald, which I hate in flex pens and big broad nibs but wet writers and finer nibs, is good.

Monteverde may be pulling but biggest bull**** ever with this pen, but they do make a damn good bottle of ink. and 90ml is a spectacular value.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 30 October 2017 - 10:05.

#51 TSherbs

TSherbs

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,410 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 20:38

That opal sounds interesting.

#52 calvin_0

calvin_0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 05:04

I havnt use it yet.. I pick up Monteverde Sapphire, it look pretty interesting...

#53 TSherbs

TSherbs

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,410 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 19:15

I havnt use it yet.. I pick up Monteverde Sapphire, it look pretty interesting...

Let us know when you do use it.

#54 DanielleE

DanielleE

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 31 October 2017 - 19:35

Today I received my Jinhao 992 pens with the EF (hooded nib). From the pens I have I would say the Monza has a line width that's between the Jinhao 992 F and the Jinhao 992 EF.

#55 calvin_0

calvin_0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:37

finally get to use my Monteverde Sapphire... it's a pretty nice blue ink, flow very nicely (but, i am using a wet flowing pen), dry rather quickly on rodia (around 5 sec) and a bit ghosting on photocopy paper...

however, it also smell pretty bad.. particularly noticeable when uncap after over night...

bEH3P2T.jpg

Edited by calvin_0, 11 November 2017 - 07:38.

#56 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 November 2017 - 00:54

That's weird. I have sapphire and it doesn't smell very strongly. It's definitely no KWZ cream soda smell or noodlers polar stank.

#57 calvin_0

calvin_0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:18

That's weird. I have sapphire and it doesn't smell very strongly. It's definitely no KWZ cream soda smell or noodlers polar stank.

well it's possible the smell is stronger because i live in a tropical area... i been using it for 2 days now, in both days, there is sign of condensation in the cap.. so maybe thats why the smell accumulated in the cap..

Edited by calvin_0, 12 November 2017 - 01:19.

#58 JFB

JFB

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 November 2017 - 19:45

I just received my Monza from Goulet Pens last week. Apart from the nib, feed, lack of Jinhao chariot logo impressed on the inside of the section and a slightly darker amber color it's the same pen from the same molds as far as I can tell. I certainly hope it's a better plastic!

I have a handful of 992s. I think they are great writers for their price point. I just wish they would improve their QC and plastics. The Monza isn't as nice a writer. I'll be replacing the nib in the Monza.

Pax,

John

#59 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 December 2017 - 04:37

Sorry John, but it's the same old junk.

What really blows me away is how junky this pen is and how bad the matte finish is on the invincia, but thusfar my experience with yafa's customer service has been exceptionally good. It's not like they are treating customers with disdain. 

#60 JFB

JFB

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 December 2017 - 21:20

Sorry John, but it's the same old junk.

What really blows me away is how junky this pen is and how bad the matte finish is on the invincia, but thusfar my experience with yafa's customer service has been exceptionally good. It's not like they are treating customers with disdain. 

So far *fingers crossed*, I have not observed any of the micro cracking I've seen on my 992s. The nib also seems to be performing a bit better. It has a tiny bit of bite, but it's much better than when I first inked it up. IF it can keep from cracking I don't mind the higher price. Only time will tell. Sorry to hear about the Invincia

About the 992s so far my black ones haven't cracked...

Pax,

John

Sponsored Content

|