The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Monteverde Monza = Jinhao 992 (First Impressions)

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 woleizihan

woleizihan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2017 - 13:47

People are obviously not happy with a rebranded Jinhao with 10x price tag and try to persuade themselves that's not the case. There are many possibilities but considering the fact that Yafa owns both Conklin and Monteverde and what Conklin has done before, I have to agree that this is very likely a rebranded Jinhao (unfortunately). It's also interesting how people will talk about Jinhao as a "knock off" but Monteverde as a "cheaper version" of Sailor. 

Edited by woleizihan, 20 October 2017 - 13:49.

Sponsored Content

#22 jekostas

jekostas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 20 October 2017 - 17:29

The more money you pay for an item the greater value you're likely to ascribe to it.

#23 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:26

If you got the Goulet deal, you got a good deal. This pen is a good writer for one buck. It's good for three bucks. It'd be good for twenty if the plastic was as good as the wing sung 698 and it could be eyedropper converted.

I concur than jinhao makes a damn good nib. This is not a jinhao nib. It's worse. Apart from the clear feed, the jinhao is the better pen, even ignoring the 1000% markup.

Goulet took care of me like the bad-asses they are. I honestly wish every business on earth had their work ethics. Full refund on the pen (I just asked for store credit), keep the ink.

I'm going to spend at least double with Goulet to help offset their refund to me. I feel really bad that they are going to lose a noticeable amount of cash on this deal with all these shoddy pens, and it's 100% Monteverde's fault. I'm not 100% sure what I want to buy yet, I just really wish that stipula passaporto would stop being bloody delayed.

#24 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:31

Personally I'm excited to receive my Bottle of ink and Free pen. I consider this a cheaper version of the Sailor instead of an expensive version of the knock-off. I've never considered buying a Jinhao because I've never heard great things about their nibs from writing quality and I don't think their designes are interesting or inspired. I also never heard many good things about monteverde, I even was going to buy a Monteverde Mountains of the world pen but the guy at Fharney's (DC pen store) told me to avoid it. to be honest the only reason I bought this pen was it was too good of a deal to pass up. I don't know why there is so much controversy over this. either way I hope this pen works well and monteverde can get some exposure, come cash, and improve their QC and reputation

My only other Monteverde pen is the poquito, and it's a freaking awesome pen. I got mine on clearance and then bought six more as gifts. Well made, unique design, glassy smooth, reliable, consistent, awesome clip, a perfect pocket pen.

I did order a brass invincia on massdrop for $18 after a discount they gave me for screwing up my Lamy 2000 order. I am interested in how it performs, but if the nib sucks, a black Goulet nib will do the job.

#25 DanielleE

DanielleE

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 14:38

I am finding them to be a little too dry for Rhodia pads or the Campus notebooks I use.

They seem to work OK for writing on low cost ink jet printer paper.

I have some Jinhao pens coming and will get a chance to compare.

#26 ENewton

ENewton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 977 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 16:03

I did order a brass invincia on massdrop for $18 after a discount they gave me for screwing up my Lamy 2000 order. I am interested in how it performs, but if the nib sucks, a black Goulet nib will do the job.

My only Monteverde pen is the Invincia Deluxe.  The nib is noticeably sturdy, like a small trowel.  Mine was initially dry but has improved over time.  My greatest disappointment, though, is with the finish on the grip section.  Even with minimal use, mine pitted very quickly.  I have never had this kind of problem with any other pen.   

#27 mikepinkerton

mikepinkerton

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:11

When Goulet featured the Monza in their Q&A video last week, you can see the ink all over Brian's hands while he's handling it. I pointed that out in the comments and they replied and said they have reconsidered using it as an eye-dropper because it doesn't seal as well as they initially thought.

So if you've converted it, be careful.

-mike

#28 calvin_0

calvin_0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:42

When Goulet featured the Monza in their Q&A video last week, you can see the ink all over Brian's hands while he's handling it. I pointed that out in the comments and they replied and said they have reconsidered using it as an eye-dropper because it doesn't seal as well as they initially thought.

So if you've converted it, be careful.

-mike

well you can dump in bunch of super glue to seal it up... like this guy did to Jinhao 992...

#29 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:44

still. The thing is just going to crack. The plastic is brittle and cheap, same (bleep) in the 599. Jinhao needs to bump up the plastic quality significantly and just charge $5.

#30 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:58

A good alternative for those who want to eyedropper a demonstrator is the new clear Pilot 78G+. Pilot's medium nib comes close to the Jinhao 992 fine nib and is quite smooth. Of course they run like $10 each in China.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#31 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:12

There's also an actual acrylic chinese pen being made just for eyedropper purposes for $5.

A lingmo lorelei acrylic is a safe eyedropper pen.

#32 TruthPil

TruthPil

More flex, please!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:22

There's also an actual acrylic chinese pen being made just for eyedropper purposes for $5.

A lingmo lorelei acrylic is a safe eyedropper pen.

I didn't know they were down to $5. That's a steal!

Also the Jinhao 991 has the same nib and feed assembly as the 992 but doesn't crack so can be easily eyedropperized. It's just not very attractive.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

#33 calvin_0

calvin_0

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:46

A good alternative for those who want to eyedropper a demonstrator is the new clear Pilot 78G+. Pilot's medium nib comes close to the Jinhao 992 fine nib and is quite smooth. Of course they run like $10 each in China.

another pen added to "the to buy list"...

#34 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2017 - 18:15

I didn't know they were down to $5. That's a steal!

Also the Jinhao 991 has the same nib and feed assembly as the 992 but doesn't crack so can be easily eyedropperized. It's just not very attractive.

Looks like the price went up a hair, about $9 now.

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100012.m1985

#35 thudthwacker

thudthwacker

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2017 - 18:40

I concur than jinhao makes a damn good nib. This is not a jinhao nib. It's worse.

Ugh.  And yeah, I've been incredibly impressed with the nibs on the 992s I've got.  Pity that Monteverde didn't even get that part right.

#36 woleizihan

woleizihan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2017 - 19:12

Ugh.  And yeah, I've been incredibly impressed with the nibs on the 992s I've got.  Pity that Monteverde didn't even get that part right.

I think that's because "Monteverde doesn't have a business with Jinhao". I think Goulet mentioned that part somewhere in the video and also claimed that the similarity comes from the fact that "Asian pen manufactures use similar modes to produce pens". I'm not completely convinced though. 

Edited by woleizihan, 23 October 2017 - 19:13.

#37 TSherbs

TSherbs

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 20:31

If you got the Goulet deal, you got a good deal. This pen is a good writer for one buck. It's good for three bucks. It'd be good for twenty if the plastic was as good as the wing sung 698 and it could be eyedropper converted.

I concur than jinhao makes a damn good nib. This is not a jinhao nib. It's worse. Apart from the clear feed, the jinhao is the better pen, even ignoring the 1000% markup.

Goulet took care of me like the bad-asses they are. I honestly wish every business on earth had their work ethics. Full refund on the pen (I just asked for store credit), keep the ink.

I'm going to spend at least double with Goulet to help offset their refund to me. I feel really bad that they are going to lose a noticeable amount of cash on this deal with all these shoddy pens, and it's 100% Monteverde's fault. I'm not 100% sure what I want to buy yet, I just really wish that stipula passaporto would stop being bloody delayed.

That's good of them. And, yeah, I think Goulet got screwed on this deal. But it seems that doing business with Monteverde/Yafa can have its disadvantages. But you never know, they may still be making a profit. They're not stupid.

#38 keybers

keybers

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:34

I think that's because "Monteverde doesn't have a business with Jinhao". I think Goulet mentioned that part somewhere in the video and also claimed that the similarity comes from the fact that "Asian pen manufactures use similar modes to produce pens". I'm not completely convinced though. 

It might be that Monteverde asked, "Give us a design", and someone brought them "a prototype" having failed to mention that this pen is already being happily sold to people as Jinhao.

I am thankful for this thread because I was going to buy the 992, and chanced upon this topic, which alerted me to the whole, still unsolved, cracking issue.

#39 jekostas

jekostas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 16:49

It might be that Monteverde asked, "Give us a design", and someone brought them "a prototype" having failed to mention that this pen is already being happily sold to people as Jinhao.

If we as users know about the Jinhao 992 I can virtually guarantee that Yafa knows as well.

#40 woleizihan

woleizihan

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 October 2017 - 17:24

If we as users know about the Jinhao 992 I can virtually guarantee that Yafa knows as well.

They 100% know about it because Goulet told them the similarity and then got back the answer that they didn't have business with Jinhao.

Sponsored Content

|