Omas Blue Black

Gazcom

Omas was a great brand and part of that "Made in Italy" that made my country renown around the world. Unfortunately Omas shut down the last year, leaving us pen enthusiast, all a little poorer.
For this reason I was very happy to find in an old stationery near where I live, two bottles of ink from this brand: Omas Blue Black and Omas Blue (Roma 2000 edition)

OVERVIEW.jpg

Omas Blue-Black is a colour that I would define a dark sapphire. A dark royal blue, with hints of purple, stronger when wet and that tend do disappear while it dries. A closer look to the cromatography shows a strong similarity with the one I've made for Pelikan Edelstein Sapphire .

The ink behaves quite well on all sort of paper, with little bleedthrough and feathering on cheap copy paper. There's not much to ask to shading as it is a quite dark colour, but there's some, especially on fountain pen friendly papers. There's a really little waterproof purple component in this ink, but does not keep texts and drawings to fade.

In the end, is this ink worth it?

It's a discontinued ink in a beautiful bottle. It's a decent blue black which stands out amont other blue blacks. If you find it, grab it, at least you may say that you've acquired a piece of a great Italian story, unfortunately ended the last year.

COPY PAPER

NAVIGATOR.jpgPIGNA EXTRA STRONG

PIGNA.jpg

TRACING PAPER

TRACING_PAPER.jpgINKDROP

DROP.jpg

CROMATOGRAPHY

CROMTATOGRAPHY.jpg

WATERPROOF TEST (SOAKING 15 MINS) - BEFORE - DURING - AFTER

FISH.jpg

image1.jpg

pescio.jpg

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gazcom

• Mr.Rene

• lapis

• OMASsimo

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure but I think Omas Blue Black ink is iron gall ?? I hope so... :unsure:

I don't think so... It should be more water resistant and darkening over time and I've noticed nothing like that unfortunately

It's been one of my favourite inks and I'm very sad that it's not available anymore. I absolutely loved the colour! Some people want crazy prices for a bottle of OMAS ink now.:( So, grab it if you can get it at a reasonable price.

I doubt it's iron gall because OMAS warned of the use of IG inks if I recall correctly.

It's been one of my favourite inks and I'm very sad that it's not available anymore. I absolutely loved the colour! Some people want crazy prices for a bottle of OMAS ink now. :( So, grab it if you can get it at a reasonable price.

I doubt it's iron gall because OMAS warned of the use of IG inks if I recall correctly.

It's not an IG ink, just a normal blue black, with almost no waterproof quality, which is quite understandable since many of the Omas pens were made with precious and quite delicate celluloids rods, resins and woods which may be corroded, ruined or stained by aggressive inks.

Great review! Thanks!! I don't know why I missed out on that ink in those good ol' days. it sort of reminds me of the -- as you say, not quite blue-black but rather a dark blue -- S.T. Dupont's BLEU NUIT / DARK BLUE (Réf. 040111), sold only in cartridges today.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)