Wahl Eversharp Machine Turned Patterns

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

I'm going to start a thread on Wahl Eversharp Machine Turned Patterns and see what I can contribute so we can get a reference going. I'll add pens and pencils over time and encourage others to do the same. Thanks!

This is a Wahl model 433A Colonial pattern 12 Karat Yellow Gold Filled fountain pen c1921-1924. It is the shortest, at 4 5/16 inches, of the three sizes of clip metal pens with the engine turned Colonial design, a straight line pattern on the cap and barrel. The barrel has a rectangular blank for engraving. It features a Number 3 14 karat gold nib stamped Wahl Tempoint Pen, possibly indicating that this is an early production pen. Wahl marketed pens under the Tempoint name at least as late as 1920 before branding their fountain pens as Wahl in 1921. The clip and cap top band are stamped with the Wahl name. Model 433 also came as a ringtop pen and a choice of 12 karat yellow gold fill or sterling silver for $7.00 or 14 karat green gold fill for $8.00. Matching Eversharp pencils were available for $5.00 and $6.00, respectively.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WahlColonial_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• Greenie

• Theroc

• Ted F

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl model 431D Check pattern silver filled fountain pen c1921-1924. It is the shortest, at 4 3/8 inches, of the three sizes of clip metal pens with the engine turned Check design, a repeating panel of checks in a line pattern on the cap and barrel. The pattern is called Unique in the 1921 catalog, and Check from 1922 onward. The barrel has a rectangular blank for engraving in one of the panels. It features a Number 3 14 karat gold nib stamped Wahl. Model 431 also came as a ringtop pen and a choice of silver filled for $6.00, 12 karat yellow gold fill or sterling silver for $6.50 or 14 karat green gold fill for $7.50. Matching Eversharp pencils were available for $1.50, $3.50, and $4.50, respectively.
http://penhero.com/Temp/WahlCheckSilver_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

I have a couple of ringtops with the Check pattern. I'll have to look at them tonight, but I think they're sterling. Waterman made pens with a very similar pattern, much like everyone had a pen in the Gothic style.

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl Model 322AW Dart Design 12 karat gold filled ringtop fountain pen c1922-1925. It is the shortest fountain pen, at 3 9/16 inches, with the engine turned Dart design, a repeating pattern of panels of straight lines with a small curve out that creates an arrowhead effect around the cap and barrel. The pattern was introduced on pencils in the 1921 catalog and is shown through 1925. The barrel has a rectangular blank for engraving in one of the panels. It features a Number 2 14 karat gold nib stamped Wahl. It sold for $6.00. Model 322 also came in a choice of sterling silver for $6.00 and 14 karat green gold fill for $7.00. Matching Eversharp pencils were available for $4.00, $5.00, and $6.00, respectively.
http://penhero.com/Temp/WahlDartRingtop_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl Model 329AW Ripple Design 12 karat gold filled ringtop fountain pen c1922-1924. It is the shortest fountain pen, at 3 9/16 inches, with the engine turned Ripple design, a repeating pattern of straight lines with a small curve out that creates a ripple effect around the cap and barrel. Introduced on pencils in 1921 and pens in 1922 and continues through the 1925 catalog. The barrel has a rectangular blank for engraving in one of the panels. It features a Number 2 14 karat gold nib stamped Wahl. It sold for $6.00. Model 329 also came in a choice of sterling silver for $6.00 and 14 karat green gold fill for $7.00. Matching Eversharp pencils were available for $4.00, $5.00, and $6.00, respectively.
http://penhero.com/Temp/WahlRippleRingtop_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

I just looked at your article on the patters and it is a superb reference. I will spend many happy hours reading and rereading the information.

I just looked at your article on the patters and it is a superb reference. I will spend many happy hours reading and rereading the information.

Thanks! I'm up for any corrections / improvements since I don't have 100% of the reference material from 1921-1929.

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl Model 326AW Grecian Border Design 12 karat gold filled ringtop fountain pen c1922-1924. It is the shortest fountain pen, at 3 9/16 inches, with the engine turned Grecian Border design, a repeating panel consisting of a continuous wide line with square turns set in a line pattern around the cap and barrel. Introduced in 1921 and continuously used through 1929. The barrel has a rectangular blank for engraving in one of the panels. It features a Number 2 14 karat gold nib stamped Wahl. It sold for $6.00 in 1922. Model 326 also came in a choice of sterling silver for $6.00 and 14 karat green gold fill for $7.00. Matching Eversharp pencils were available for $4.00, $5.00, and $6.00, respectively.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WahlGrecianBorderRingtop_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl Console Design 12 karat yellow gold filled fountain pen c1928. This is the most commonly found clip pen size of a rather uncommonly found Wahl metal pen. Other larger size pens are known but rare. An unusual feature of Console Design pens is the red mottled hard rubber section. The pen features engine turned sets of repeating panels of bell and flower shapes around the cap and barrel. Introduced and probably only produced in 1928. The barrel has a rectangular blank for engraving in one of the panels. It features a Number 2 14 karat gold nib stamped Wahl. It sold for $7.00 in 1928 and the matching Eversharp pencil was $3.50. Ringtop pens and pencils were also made.
http://penhero.com/Temp/WahlConsole_1280_30.jpg
Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl Ring Colonial Design 12 karat yellow gold filled fountain pen c. 1929. The Ring Colonial Design is a modification of the Colonial design with a pair of black enameled wide rings cut in repeating up the cap and barrel with the three cuts between filled with black enamel. This 4 15/16 inch long pen is the medium size model with a 14 karat gold Number 4 size nib. This nib is stamped WAHL EVERSHARP 14K GOLD SEAL FLEXIBLE. Larger size pens are known but rare. Introduced and probably only produced in 1928 and 1929. Earlier, 1928 pens would have the top cap band engraved WAHL PEN, as shown in the 1928 catalog. This pen is engraved WAHL - EVERSHARP over GOLD FILLED MADE IN CHICAGO, U.S.A., indicating a later pen, likely 1929. The barrel has a small rectangular blank for engraving between the second from the bottom sets of rings. The medium size pen was model X7164 and sold for $8.00 in 1928 and the matching Eversharp pencil was $5.00. Ringtop pens and pencils were also made.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WahlRingColonial_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl Lakeside Design 12 karat yellow gold filled fountain pen c. 1929. The Lakeside Design is a champlevé technique design where the cap and barrel are engraved with repeating panels of a wave pattern that is overlaid with tinted blue enamel. This example has most of the enamel worn off, except directly under the clip. This 4 15/16 inch long pen is the medium size model with a 14 karat gold Number 4 size nib. This nib is stamped WAHL SIGNATURE PEN 14K. Introduced and probably only produced in 1928 and 1929. Earlier, 1928 pens would have the top cap band engraved WAHL PEN. This pen is engraved WAHL - EVERSHARP over GOLD FILLED MADE IN CHICAGO, U.S.A., indicating a later pen, likely 1929. There is no engraving blank on the pen, but there is space at the top of the barrel. The medium size pen sold for $10.00 in 1928 and the matching Eversharp pencil was $5.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WahlLakeside_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl Colonnade Design 12 karat yellow gold filled fountain pen c. 1928. The Colonnade Design is a stacked ring design with cut out black enamel tinted panels repeating up the cap and barrel. This example shows some wear on the barrel enamel panels, but the cap enamel is excellent. This 4 15/16 inch long pen is the medium size model with a 14 karat gold Number 4 size nib. This nib is stamped WAHL EVERSHARP 14K GOLD SEAL SIGNATURE. Introduced and probably only produced in 1928 and 1929. Earlier, 1928 pens, such as this example, would have the top cap band engraved WAHL PEN. There is no engraving blank on the pen. This medium size pen is model X7364 and sold for $8.00 in 1928 and the matching Eversharp pencil was $5.00.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WahlColonnade_1280_01a.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl Wedgewood 12 karat yellow gold filled over silver fountain pen c. 1928. The Wedgewood Design is a gold-on-silver design where part of the gold fill is cut away and the straight and ripple line pattern is cut into the silver base metal. This 4 15/16 inch long pen is the medium size slender model 4213P with a 14 karat gold Number 2 size nib. This nib is stamped WAHL 2 14K. Introduced and probably only produced in 1927 and 1928.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WahlWedgewood_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl uncatalogued design 12 karat yellow gold filled on sterling silver enameled fountain pen c. 1929. The design is repeating panels of straight lines with a set of two diagonal squares with a wave cut divider. The squares and bands are enameled in black. This example was restored with new enamel. The 4 15/16 inch long pen is the medium size model with a 14 karat gold Number 4 size nib stamped WAHL SIGNATURE 14K. The cap top band engraving WAHL EVERSHARP dates the pen to 1929.

post-225-0-23308300-1514206680_thumb.jpeg

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl Niagara 12 karat yellow gold filled over silver medium size fountain pen c. 1927. The Niagara Design is a gold-on-silver design where part of the gold fill is cut away and the "coral" shapes pattern is cut into the silver base metal. This 4 15/16 inch long pen is the medium size slender model 4214P with a 14 karat gold Number 2 size nib. This nib is stamped WAHL 2 14K. Introduced and probably only produced in 1927. There are three pens with the Niagara Design in the 1927 catalog, the Number 2 nib 3214P ringtop, this pen, and the large size Number 4 nib 6214P.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WahlNiagara_1280_02.jpg
Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Wahl Console 12 karat yellow gold filled medium size fountain pen c. 1928. The Console Design is a set of repeating panels of bell and flower shapes around the cap and barrel. This 4 15/16 inch long pen is the medium size slender model with a 14 karat gold Number 2 size nib. This nib is stamped WAHL 2 14K. Introduced and probably only produced in 1928. Larger size pens are known but rare. An unusual feature of Console Design pens is the red mottled hard rubber section. The barrel has a rectangular blank for engraving in one of the panels. It sold for $7.00 in 1928 and the matching Eversharp pencil was $3.50. Ringtop pens and pencils were also made.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WahlConsole_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!