Breeze Notebook By Taroko Designs

Bhavna

Hello Friends,

This is my first every paper review on FPN, I can usually be found playing with inks over in that forum. Please bear with me.

I was given a test copy by Bureau Direct, a stationer in the UK, of the Breeze Notebook by Taroko Designs which contains 68gsm Tomoe paper, one that I have never tried before. I have to say it was a bit of a challenge as it brought up an old memory from school (70's E. Africa) of a classmate who had somehow laid his little 7 yr old hands on a pile of notebooks and given one to me (on a Sunday afternoon, it had a soft peachy cover and was probably a very cheap one). I was SO happy - see this stationary thing goes back decades... Anyway, he, and thus all other 7 yr old 'fencers' of illicit notebooks were caught the next day and the whole class of little 7 year olds were caned harshly (today, there would be uproar and a film deal). We were also all caned by respective parents at home later the same day. Harsh as it sounds, and it was, my generation has grown up with strong morals. But that is another story.

So to open this beautifully yet simply packed notebook was a huge step for me. I have a collection of beautiful unused notebooks spanning decades (gratuitous shot below). So of course, I had to get over that trauma pronto and start using the book. I want to thank MIshka for thinking of me and in a way enabling me (doesn't she just!!) to use a notebook minus palpitations.

So to the notebook, it is a slim and light A5 piece that comes wrapped in clear cellophane, I really like that touch very much. The cover is soft but firm and is simply designed with silver foiled accents. Inside, you have an index page, dot grid paper which I love, and at the back there are some sheets that can be used to document inks, 190 usable sheets in total (the nearest I have to come this amount is in Peter Pauper Press journals which I love but which are significantly larger). The notebook lies flat from the beginning, which I found an excellent quality when I was laying down heavy amounts of ink to see what happened, I would have been SO annoyed had it flopped shut on me. The paper is smooth and luscious to write on, just off white leading towards cream, super-smooth but not glassy. My pens have so enjoyed dancing on the paper. It hold inks like a dream, showing up shading, sheen and shimmer joyfully, I have yet to observe bleeding or feathering despite using my Diva ink, Noodler's La Coleur Royale which just doesn't dry on anything... but Breeze! Of course, it does take inks a few more seconds to dry than on normal every day paper, but surely the whole point of using a fountain pen and precious inks is so that we may stop a while and mindfully enjoy the process?

So, without further ado, here are some shots for your pleasure!

fpn_1508084745__the_notebook_1.jpg

fpn_1508084816__the_notebook_2.jpg

fpn_1508085048__inks_swatch_2.jpg

fpn_1508085082__inks_swatch.jpg

fpn_1508084994__ink_swatch.jpg

And a gratuitous shot of my other (yet unused) notebooks...

fpn_1508085156__notebooks.jpg

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bhavna

• fugel

• Newjelan

• LanceSaintPaul

I'm feeling very sorry for your 7-year-old self! Hope you get over that trauma now, and start using those fabulous notebooks. Thanks for the shots!

And thanks also for reviewing the Taroko Breeze. I have something similar and it's waiting for me to start in it - had an earlier Seven Seas with 52gsm Tomoe River paper that I also love, that is what I am using now... but eventually I will give the Taroko a spin.

And those sheening inks show very beautifully in your pictures. Enjoy, and use with a vengeance!

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

This post cost me money! :D Hopefully I will get satisfaction in return (I'm sure I will). Breeze not on Amazon, nor Nanami, but found on Etsy. Shipping adds up.

Again someone with the UN flag. Kudos. It flew at the college I attended, next to the stars & stripes.

Edited by LanceSaintPaul

I've been using Steve Chang's Taroko notebooks for a while, since his Version 1. They've all stood the test of time well. The only downside is the almost ubiquitous use of dot grid printed Tomoegawa in his A5 size notebooks. But he's recently started to offer the A5 Enigma (V4) with 68gsm plain white paper. Hallelujah! :-)

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

I'm feeling very sorry for your 7-year-old self! Hope you get over that trauma now, and start using those fabulous notebooks. Thanks for the shots!

And thanks also for reviewing the Taroko Breeze. I have something similar and it's waiting for me to start in it - had an earlier Seven Seas with 52gsm Tomoe River paper that I also love, that is what I am using now... but eventually I will give the Taroko a spin.

And those sheening inks show very beautifully in your pictures. Enjoy, and use with a vengeance!

Thank you for your very kind and generous words. Please be assured my 7 year old is well healed and enjoying hundreds of pens and inks not to mention stunning notebooks! I am delighted my review and camera work has been of use.

If there is righteousness in the heart, There will be beauty in character. If there is beauty in character, There will be harmony in the home. When there is harmony in the home, There will be order in the nation. When there is order in the nation, There will be peace in the world. Bhagawan Shri Satya Sai Baba

This post cost me money! :D Hopefully I will get satisfaction in return (I'm sure I will). Breeze not on Amazon, nor Nanami, but found on Etsy. Shipping adds up.

Again someone with the UN flag. Kudos. It flew at the college I attended, next to the stars & stripes.

That it has cost you money is a great compliment, thank you! I am sure it will be money well spent on yourself! I wish you many hours of enjoyment.

I've been using Steve Chang's Taroko notebooks for a while, since his Version 1. They've all stood the test of time well. The only downside is the almost ubiquitous use of dot grid printed Tomoegawa in his A5 size notebooks. But he's recently started to offer the A5 Enigma (V4) with 68gsm plain white paper. Hallelujah! :-)

I must admit, I am crazy for dot and quadrille pads. However, I am delighted that you will get plain paper to enjoy.

Very nice write up B I would like to get some of these Breezes for my club!

My Dear Friend! Thank you for your kind words, have a chat with Bureaudirect and see of they will offer you something? By the way, letter in post for you.

That it has cost you money is a great compliment, thank you! I am sure it will be money well spent on yourself! I wish you many hours of enjoyment.

Yes, that is the way I meant it. Thank you for the review.

Thank you for the review - it was fun to read :)

Shameless plug for the notebook here ;)

Thank you for your encouragement and for giving me the book to review. I wish you great success.

Yes, that is the way I meant it. Thank you for the review.

My pleasure.

I received my Breeze notebook today and I am impressed with the high quality of this notebook, possibly the best I have tried so far. Impressive.

I received my Breeze notebook today and I am impressed with the high quality of this notebook, possibly the best I have tried so far. Impressive.

Oh congratulations that is great. It is quite a notebook. Have you used it with super sheeting inks yet?

Thanks for the review Bhavna. I’m addicted to Tomoe River notebooks and dot printed makes them perfect. So, it looks like I need some more!

Thanks for the review Bhavna. Im addicted to Tomoe River notebooks and dot printed makes them perfect. So, it looks like I need some more!

You are very welcome. This was my first Tomoe experience and like you I love dot grids, so a real win win situation!

You are very welcome. This was my first Tomoe experience and like you I love dot grids, so a real win win situation!

Have ordered some because 2 lifetimes worth of notebooks weren’t enough.

Oh congratulations that is great. It is quite a notebook. Have you used it with super sheeting inks yet?

sorry, super sheeting inks? hm?

sorry, super sheeting inks? hm?

😂😂 sheeNing.. The joy of auto correct eh!!