Looking For A Fine-Ish Stub And A Good Ink For The Cheap Paper State Of California Uses

adamselene

My handwriting is quite legible if I write slowly, which I can't do at work as a forensic hospital psychiatrist. Susan Wirth mandated printing small caps with a fine stub, but I passed on a Parker 75 Cisele with a great nib, because I didn't want to take a precious pen into this environment.My pilot VP stub disolves this paper with the Pilot blueblack, and is probably too broad- and too precious.

Anyone have an idea of the right fp technology for this Ap?

Susan took the time at a LA pen show to give me a personal tutorial, and was not shy about taking a hands on approach to correcting my bad habits. I cherish the memory.

Cheers,

“It’s better to light a candle than curse the darkness

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adamselene

• LizEF

• kazoolaw

• inkstainedruth

Nemosine have a 0.6mm stub, which is finer than the VP stub, and drier. You can either get it in a Nemosine pen for about $20, or separately for about $10. It's a $6 nib and at least fits in Jinhao x450/x750 pens.

Edited by LizEF

Nemosine have a 0.6mm stub, which is finer than the VP stub, and drier. You can either get it in a Nemosine pen for about $20, or separately for about $10. It's a $6 nib and at least fits in Jinhao x450/x750 pens.

I was going to suggest a Nemosine as well. I don't own one, but I've tried all the widths except for the .8 mm stub, and I really liked how the .6 stub wrote.

The only problem for me is that I don't actually like any of the colors of the Singularities, at the moment, and the other models are heavier than I like.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

You can put the 0.6 stub from the Singularity in another pen that takes the number 6 size nib. I think a lot of the Monteverdes fit the number 6 nib, as do the Jinhaos (but the Jinhaos may be in the heavy side)

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

I was going to suggest a Nemosine as well. I don't own one, but I've tried all the widths except for the .8 mm stub, and I really liked how the .6 stub wrote.

The only problem for me is that I don't actually like any of the colors of the Singularities, at the moment, and the other models are heavier than I like.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I really like the clear one, and that .6 stub is fabulous. :) Someone gifted me a pink demo one with an EF nib. Maybe I'll put the stub in it for this week's ink (also pink).

I raced to Goulet and got a Singularity .6 stub.

I know nothing about Esties, and the forum is opaque to an Estie newbie. I've heard they are similar to Levenger Truewriters. It would be too good to true for the nib unit to just screw in to a Truewriter.

Is there An Estie that takes modern carts/converters?

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

I was going to suggest the Pilot Prera, a very dependable pen with a smooth-writing 1.1 mm nib. The Demonstrator line is quite handsome.

Esterbrooks are vintage lever fillers. Solid pens with a variety of screw in nibs. The later models were cartridge fillers, but they used a proprietary sized cartridge that is no longer manufactured and becoming increasingly difficult to find.

May we live, not by our fears but by our hopes; not by our words but by our deeds; not by our disappointments but by our dreams.

I raced to Goulart and got a Singularity .6 stub.

I know nothing about Esties, and the forum is opaque to an Estie newbie. I've heard they are similar to Levenger Truewriters. It would be too good to true for the nib unit to just screw in to a Truewriter.

Is there An Estie that takes modern carts/converters?

The True Writer takes its design inspiration from the Esterbrook J series pens. An homage if you will. They are larger in every respect, but do have interchangeable nibs with other True Writer pens.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Esterbrooks are vintage lever fillers. Solid pens with a variety of screw in nibs. The later models were cartridge fillers, but they used a proprietary sized cartridge that is no longer manufactured and becoming increasingly difficult to find.

I found a .6 NOS Stub on fleabay. Where to find a serviceable Estie lever filler please?

(I am looking forward to this experiment, slowing my scrawl!)

Cheers,

Thanks.

I found a parker 75 Cisele with a French 18k #98 fine italic worked well, and my notes were all legible and a reasonable writing speed. Tooth was so much I feared damaging the nib. I used Regisetrar Iron Gall.

I tried swapping the section with a Thuya 75, but cap fit was bad. Nervous with this pen at work.

Looking forward to Nemosyne and Esties arriving!

Gary Weimer has a selection at

https://www.etsy.com/shop/MidnightPens

Thanks.

I found a parker 75 Cisele with a French 18k #98 fine italic worked well, and my notes were all legible and a reasonable writing speed. Tooth was so much I feared damaging the nib. I used Regisetrar Iron Gall.

I tried swapping the section with a Thuya 75, but cap fit was bad. Nervous with this pn at work.

Looking forward to Nemosyne and Esties arriving!

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

So I bought a Singularity from Goulet.

I had ignored a Nemosine in the past, because I figured at that price point, I would be looking at something like a Pilot 78G in quality. The 78G was a crucial pen in my 10 year Fountain pen addiction/hobby, as it got me hooked on stubs and italics, but it is not a very substantial pen.

I was very impressed by the Singularity in all ways. I even liked the blue plastic. I reminded me of my M400, but without the anxiety of treating it too harshly.

I also ordered via Amazon a Fission from StandardCraft in Pittsburgh. I gather they are the creators of Nemosine. I like heavy pens! Capped it is top-heavy, not a problem with the short writing sessions. The screw cap is a blessing, both the MB 149 and the pilot Metropoloitan drive me crazy with flying caps hiding under furniture.

In the box, I found Josh wrote a personal note, that he would throw in something a little extra "from the workbench" and I got a gold colored, unique, complex paperclip in the shape of a fountain pen. Not a big deal, but very cool!

And hidden in the packing I found...

a box of five ink carts...

And five more loose ink carts...

And an extra convertor, and an extra, fine nib ... attached to a extra pen - a Black fine Nemosyne Singularity.

If he was looking to make a loyal customer, he succeeded!

No affiliation, etc.

The fine stub nib concept has changed my work life. My notes and orders are legible. At least to me, some of the staff can't read cursive.

I need to work on my all caps printing. Thanks Susan Wirth.

Edited by adamselene

Cheers,

The screw cap is a blessing, both the MB 149 and the pilot Metropoloitan drive me crazy with flying caps hiding under furniture.

:lticaptd:

That's really fabulous service from the Nemosine folk! Congrats on your multiple new pens. Glad you like the stub! :)