The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Wahl Metal Covered Section

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 KateW

KateW

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 14:47

Hi all,

I've recently gotten a handful of Wahl all metal ring tops. Some with the metal covered sections have a little erosion of the metal right at the edge of the section. Is there anything I can do, short of never using them, to prevent or delay further corrosion? I am currently using Waterman ink; would another type be safer? I would appreciate any suggestions!

Sponsored Content

#2 RoyalBear

RoyalBear

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2017 - 16:37

Without seeing the section it's hard to say. With the metal Wahl pens I have, I use a buffing mitt made for silver. And, Waterman ink is very safe.

#3 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 19:48

Waterman inks are safe in terms of clogging risk, but they're also very acidic.  Possibly, neutral-pH inks by, for example, Diamine would be better in this case.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#4 Tom Heath

Tom Heath

Collectors Item

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2017 - 18:30

Many of these pens are 80 + years old.

Ink has been know to be the main culprit causing the corrosive damage you are experiencing

Probably the PH get things going....  Repair to the section  is possible but I would say rather costly.

It happens  even in the  very valuable pens.  If it is in-slightly  I might suggest using a Black Hard rubber section until a replacement  comes along..

penfancier1915@hotmail.com

Tom Heath

Peace be with you .   Hug your loved ones today

Sponsored Content

|