Jinhao 992- The Little Chinese Pen That Could

rochester21

Reddit is a lot of garbage.

They are clearly nearly exactly the same pen. Not exactly, but nearly exactly.

Nah. it's exactly. They didn't make any changes. They just put their logo on it. And their converter is one of the slightly nonstandard jinhao converters.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Honeybadgers

• sdbruder

• TSherbs

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

Nah. it's exactly. They didn't make any changes. They just put their logo on it. And their converter is one of the slightly nonstandard jinhao converters.

You are claiming that even the nib is the same?

You are claiming that even the nib is the same?

It's definitely made in the same factory. Breather hole is a little bigger, but it's an absolutely classic chinese #5 in every single way. down to the performance.

putting an IDENTICAL feed in there, but is clear, doesn't justify even a millimeter of this shameless overpriced turd.

It could be -nearly- the same if it had a gold nib, if it had a lamy z50 style or pilot style nib, if it somehow shoehorned a #6 nib, hell, even a two tone nib. But it couldn't even manage the last. It's a chinese nib with monteverde printed on it, just like the cap is the 992 cap with monteverde scribbled on it in crayon.

Let's not nitpick. Don't give monteverde any benefit of the doubt. They're selling us a pen we all bought for $1.50 and charging $16-20 for it. It is in no meaningful way different aesthetically or functionally.

I'm a big fan of monteverde inks and the only other pen I have from them, the poquito (which is a #5 nib that is meaningfully different in performance to the standard chinese nib) is a winner. I don't hate monteverde for this. I just think this pen needs to just go away because it's an insult to the community (and let's face it, the community is the only one really buying their pens in meaningful numbers)

The part I find most amusing is that the pen itself is not part o the discussion at all. The 992/monza is a fine performer and good looking, China did a good job with it. Monteverde are the charlatans here. If monteverde wanted to sell us the wing sung 698/618 for $20-25, I'd be much more okay with that.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

It's definitely made in the same factory. Breather hole is a little bigger, but it's an absolutely classic chinese #5 in every single way. down to the performance.

putting an IDENTICAL feed in there, but is clear, doesn't justify even a millimeter of this shameless overpriced turd.

Let's not nitpick. Don't give monteverde any benefit of the doubt. They're selling us a pen we all bought for $1.50 and charging $16-20 for it. It is in no meaningful way different aesthetically or functionally.

I would be able to tell my own comparison: bought some 992 (they are so cheap) and a Monza (because of the ink promotion and because Im addicted to pens and the ink was an excuse), they will arrive just before the end of the world here (China deliveries take 30-60 days to arrive here).

• 2 years later...

I would be able to tell my own comparison: bought some 992 (they are so cheap) and a Monza (because of the ink promotion and because Im addicted to pens and the ink was an excuse), they will arrive just before the end of the world here (China deliveries take 30-60 days to arrive here).

What was your verdict?

They were identical.

It seems like the monza in the neon lego green omniflex seems to be less prone to cracking - mine hasn't, and I haven't heard of anyone else's yet.

Also supposedly the 992 in solid colors doesn't crack.

Edited by Honeybadgers

They were identical.

It seems like the monza in the neon lego green omniflex seems to be less prone to cracking - mine hasn't, and I haven't heard of anyone else's yet.

Also supposedly the 992 in solid colors doesn't crack.

I had a solid blue 992 which cracked, so for what it's worth, those can crack as well.

• 1 month later...

Loved mine. Lived in my pocket as an EDC for a goodly while until the cap cracked at the steel ring part. Loads of insulating tape has fixed it but my clear nib creeper has been my EDC ever since.

• 2 years later...

I have one of these; a totally clear one and I like it very much. I use mine in eyedropper form and it writes with a lovely wet nib, just how I like it. The feed and nib pull out very easily indeed, which suits the fact that I use home made Iron Gall ink in it and I need to clean the feed frequently of precipitated Iron3 (rust) which is how that IG ink darkens on paper and makes the ink permanent in water. 

I do hope mine does not develop any such cracks as we saw being dealt with here. I really don't want 2 or 3ml of permanent ink in my cotton shirt pocket! There would be no way back from that for a white cotton shirt.

Edited by Tony1951