The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Is There A Readily Available Modern Safety Pen?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 23:49

All this talk recently about Noodler's new prototype safety pens have got me wondering: are there any new safety pens being made today? 

Sponsored Content

#2 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:29

Not mass produced, no. Some custom makers make them, but they're far from cheap. Expect to pay $500 or more for one until the Noodler's pen comes out.

#3 jekostas

jekostas

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 04:49

All this talk recently about Noodler's new prototype safety pens have got me wondering: are there any new safety pens being made today? 

Montblanc Heritage 1912 and the Hero H718, though the latter is not technically a safety pen as it has a captive converter and not a true piston.

#4 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:20

Montblanc Heritage 1912....I tested one years ago at the duty free shop in Frankfurt. The nib was more flexible than I thought it would be.

I do have a '30's Fendograph, made in Milan. In Penboard makes a better picture I asked Tom to use his and was told yes. Mine is very similar. The cap 'jewel' is a very nice feature. Mine is also 18k rolled gold.

https://imgur.com/UPQpECd

It too was a type of pen I'd never expected to own. I was a tad ignorant, when I first saw it at a different live auction. I unscrewed the cap and thought someone had stolen the nib and feed.........until I was shown one screwed the nib up to show it. :headsmack: :happyberet:

Live auctions are nice for pens, in once you beat the dealers, you still have a pen under Ebay price. Of course if there is a collector there........ :wallbash: .........Often I'm lucky on the next pen then. :)

Later, I did see a Mont Blanc '20's Safety Pen in a live auction, the nib was a Weak Kneed Wet Noodle. :puddle:

Out of my price range of course.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 13 October 2017 - 09:21.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#5 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 15:21

FYI guys, the H718 and 1912 aren't classic safety pens. They're piston fillers. "Real" safeties have the nib and feed always bathed in the ink, and eyedropper filled.

#6 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 17:58

Oh.  I didn't know that was a thing.  In my OP, I meant "original" style, like what Noodlers is doing.

#7 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,889 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 18:50

I should have remembered the nib was out...on that Heritage but got confused....especially in I'd seen a MB Safety Pen that 'resembled' it a little bit.....and have one.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany      Info on Bock nibs

Due to Mauricio's improved definition of Super-flex, I try not use the term Easy Full Flex, but fail...sigh.

Semi-flex is an “almost” flex; not a ‘flex’ nib. It is great for regular writing with a touch of flair. It can give you some fancy; but it is not made for real fancy writing. For bit more of that get a maxi-semi-flex. Both spread tines 3X.  Those are not "Flex" nibs. 

Wider than Normal does not exist. Wider than Japanese does. Every company has it's very own standard + slop/tolerance. Developed from the users of it's pens and inks only; not the users or inks of other companies pens. The size you grind a nib to, is your standard only. Paper and ink matter to nib width. Thank god for 1/2 sizes or it would be boring.

#8 dogpoet

dogpoet

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 18:52

What does "safety pen" mean in a Noodler's context?

That you're safe from being ripped off by wasting the same money you'd spend on a Safari or or something on a pen that barely works?

#9 eharriett

eharriett

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 625 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 19:04

I was referring to what he put out at the Commonwealth Pen Show.  Kinda interested in that.  Looks fine to me.

And I have an Ahab and a Creaper that are working quite well and in my regular rotation, along with a Neponset that sees regular use when I have specific needs for it, thannnnnk you very much!  :D

#10 ASCIIaardvark

ASCIIaardvark

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2017 - 00:39

Here's Nathan's YouTube announcement of the Noodler's Safety pen. It's 70 minutes long, the part where he shows his pen is 12 minutes in (after discussing why you'd want a safety pen, which was interesting as I never understood the point of them before)

#11 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 October 2017 - 01:36

Stypen Up       ............retractable nib  cartridge filler only inexpensive in a variety of finishes......

Gave many to folks   years ago    Sweet writin' nibs  work as designed.....................

Fred

Sponsored Content

|