The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Plating Issue On Visconti Clip

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 18:27

I have a Visconti Homo Sapiens Crystal that shows some sort of disturbance to the plating on the clip.  The cap and trim rings seem unaffected.

Although it looks like something is happening under the plating, I thought maybe something was on top of the plating.  I tried cleaning with a silver polishing cloth, Windex, ammonia water, etc but nothing has touched it.  So I am thinking it may be under or in the plating.

I have contacted Coles of London (US Distributor) and am awaiting a response, but I suppose they will want me to send it in.

In the meanwhile, has anyone experienced this condition on one of their pens?  Does anyone know how much a clip replacement costs if it is not covered under warranty (I am not original owner and do not have original purchase receipt).

IMG_0304.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 esteroids

esteroids

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 20:24

I happen to have my Crystal in my pocket and it looks great.  I've had a number of these with no plating issues.  In the absence of damage yours looks like just a poor plating job.

Coles has been wonderful to me with my few Visconti problems.  They've never asked about purchase date and charged minimal if any costs (besides shipping).

Good luck,

Craig

#3 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• 1,094 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 22:35

I did get a very fast response from Coles.  They said it should be covered under warranty.  However, it sounds like they would have to send it to Italy, which will of course take a while. 

I have not dealt with Coles before.  So far, excellent responsiveness!

#4 shahrincamille

shahrincamille

Pemburu

• Member - Gold

• 879 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 05:53

Looks like corrosion to me.

Was the pen kept in close proximity to a celluloid pen? :o 

I had a few pens (not only Visconti) which had demonstrated similar pitting/corrosion on their plated parts, after being kept close to a few celluloid ones which had started to "rot".

Shahrin  B)  

#5 888007888

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 554 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 04:22

I thought the clips on the HS was sterling silver, no? In my research on the HS London Fog, bloggers and reviewers said the clip was Sterling Silver. Am I mistaken?

#6 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• 1,094 posts

Posted Yesterday, 15:17

I thought the clips on the HS was sterling silver, no? In my research on the HS London Fog, bloggers and reviewers said the clip was Sterling Silver. Am I mistaken?

The cap band and trim rings are sterling silver for sure.  I am not 100% sure, but am fairly certain the clip is plated steel.

I have not seen anything definitive from Visconti on this however.

#7 freakman

freakman

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Flag:

Posted Yesterday, 16:20

The cap band and trim rings are sterling silver for sure.  I am not 100% sure, but am fairly certain the clip is plated steel.

I have not seen anything definitive from Visconti on this however.

They only charge shipping for plating issues. I sent my pens directly to them in the past.

The gold plating on large surfaces has always been a problem for many pens, especially when stored in a humid environment or has been soaked with ink.

Some of their clips are sterling silver with enamel insert. But in those cases, enamel will lose over time.

I can't remember any model with vermeil new style clip.

#8 whichwatch

whichwatch

Collectors Item

• 1,094 posts

Posted Yesterday, 23:17

They only charge shipping for plating issues. I sent my pens directly to them in the past.

The gold plating on large surfaces has always been a problem for many pens, especially when stored in a humid environment or has been soaked with ink.

Some of their clips are sterling silver with enamel insert. But in those cases, enamel will lose over time.

I can't remember any model with vermeil new style clip.

Not gold plated or vermeil.  It is a white metal.   I assume it is a rhodium or chromium plate on steel.

Sponsored Content

|