The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Chrome Trim On Tuckaways

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wendell

Wendell

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 17:41

I'd like to find some Tuckaways with white trim, but on all the ones I've seen, the plating has been very corroded. Is it unrealistic to search for some Tuckaways with white trim in good condition?

Sponsored Content

#2 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,028 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 02:38

Not unrealistic, but somewhat challenging.  All Sheaffers of that era tend to have trouble with the chrome trim.  I've collected a lot of Tuckaways, and haven't seen many with great chrome trim.

Best Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#3 Robert111

Robert111

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 18:16

Not unrealistic, but somewhat challenging.  All Sheaffers of that era tend to have trouble with the chrome trim.  I've collected a lot of Tuckaways, and haven't seen many with great chrome trim.

Best Regards, greg

Maybe a good substitute would be a Tucky Sentinel. 

#4 Estragon

Estragon

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 17:58

Are you referring to the vacuum-filler Tuckaways in black or grey striated? These are the only ones I know of with *all* white trim. I see a couple with sound trim come up on eBay each month – the vast majority are indeed corroded/brassed. And then there's the extra cost/hassle of sending one off to get the filling system overhauled.

Here's a thread on another board with a nice spread of photos, which I've found to be helpful for Tuckaway reference: http://fountainpenbo...s-more-to-come/

Even common pens can become downright scarce in clean white trim configurations, unless you're willing to pay a premium. For most models I tend to be unwilling, so it's taken me years to find some otherwise common models (e.g. 1st gen Vac in silver pearl + grey marble; Waterman 32s/94s, etc.).

aka popcod (FPGeeks)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! —> Conklin Nozac Penline (grey checked) | Sheaffer: Jr. Truncated (blue & black); OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein) | Balance 3-25 (grey/red fleck); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow + green); First-Yr Crest (silver cap) | Waterman: Thorobred (brown/red stripe); Lady Patricia (black, nacre, persian) | Pelikan 100/N (grey, wartime trim) | Wahl-Eversharp: "half" Coronet (rhodium cap); early BCHR (nickel roller clip) | Rebadged Parkers: Diamond Medal, Webster, etc. (silver web, grey marble, etc.)

Sponsored Content

|