The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Parker Duofold From The 1980S

parker duofold polishing

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 shadesdragon

shadesdragon

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:56

I purchased a Parker Duofold from the 1980s and didn't notice that the cap band was scuffed on half of it. I didn't inspect it close enough.... So.. I want to see if polishing it would be an option or if this is just a this layer of brass or other material that if polished would wear off and make it worse. Anyone know what kind of material the cap bands are?  I have simichrome polish I can use but trying to decide if I should go that route. Any experienced advice is appreciated. Pic attached. 

Attached Images

• parkerduofold cap band.jpg

Edited by shadesdragon, 12 October 2017 - 01:58.

Sponsored Content

#2 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,647 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 13:18

This is gold plated brass.  While the plating is pretty good on these pens, polishing the band to remove the surface defect could take that plating off rather quickly.  I would leave well enough alone.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 13:52

I agree with Ron, polishing enough to get past the problem may remove the gold. You could replace cap band though it can be a lot of work.

Edited by FarmBoy, 12 October 2017 - 13:52.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,647 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 14:28

Better not to even try.  The cap lips on these screw up into the cap, holding the bands and color rings captive, and they are notoriously fragile.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

#5 shadesdragon

shadesdragon

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:03

Thank you for the advice. I will enjoy it as is.

#6 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:36

Better not to even try.  The cap lips on these screw up into the cap, holding the bands and color rings captive, and they are notoriously fragile.

And the adhesive Parker used is amazingly good.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#7 EMQG

EMQG

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 03:58

And the adhesive Parker used is amazingly good.

What kind of adhesive did they use? Not a standard shellac or rosin-based sealant like they did for clip screws/cap jewels?

#8 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,647 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 17:07

Parker used what they called "white adhesive."  No idea what it is, but it isn't Elmers, and it can soften a bit with heat.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: parker duofold, polishing

Sponsored Content

|