Dude, Where’S My Converter? (Ohto)

ferociousnpretty

See what I did there with the topic title? (...might be time to cut back on the coffee...)

Seriously though, anyone have advice on this?

Im on a economical pen kick to figure out grip size/type before going all in on in on a high end pen.

I tried my standard international converter, but its wobbly. If the pen gets jarred or if I drop it, Im pretty sure Ill make like a squid and ink everywhere.

Are there other standard international converters? Am I missing something?

Thanks!!

N

Edited by ferociousnpretty

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• jekostas

• Bo Bo Olson

• ferociousnpretty

Top Posters In This Topic

Post deleted by yours truly.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

In my limited fountain pen experience, I have discovered that with converters, sometimes, it's really a matter of trial and error even though they are labelled "STANDARD International". I have one pen that just refuses to fill properly when using Monteverde converters and gets full of air bubbles everytime, while Schmidt K5s do just fine in it. The Monteverde do pretty well in my other pens though.

Good luck with your adventures; the world of fountain pens is really a wonderful place :D

Some folks climb the underside of cliffs.....we snug converters.

At least when we are done...we have something to show for it other than chalk filled blisters.

More than likely what ever company that made your pen, might also make a converter...

I like piston pens. :rolleyes:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

...More than likely what ever company that made your pen, might also make a converter...

Hi BoBo, et al,

Ironically, they do not. There are no Ohto branded converters or ink cartridges... they just say, use "standard international."

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Edited by ParkerDuofold

A Schmidt K5 converter (or any rebrands like Levenger, Delta, Faber-Castell) will fit fine in a Dude. Converters from Chinese brands (Duke, Jinhao, Baoer, etc.) have a slightly larger mouth and will not properly seat.

Post deleted by yours truly.

Edited by ParkerDuofold

The actual mouth of the cartridge/converter is wider on Chinese brands. It's the mouth size that's important, not the outer diameter. I was very clear on the terminology I used.

Also, I own an Ohto Dude, and I have a Schmidt K5 converter in it right now. I can switch that converter with a Levenger, Faber-Castell or Delta branded Schmidt K5 and they all work perfectly as well.

Here is a picture of said pen, with a Levenger branded Schmidt K5 converter in it:

PFXxPev.jpg

Looks like it fits just fine.

Hello J,

That's my fault and I'll take the wrap.

I just re-read N's original post and see that she does NOT mention the Schmidt converter... I was operating on the false assumption that she had tried one and it failed.

Don't ask me where I got that. :huh:

My sincere apologies to all.

- Anthony

Awesome!! Thanks for the photo!! Those are brands I haven’t dipped into yet, so I don’t have the converters.

BoBo, Anthony and 3nding > appreciate you taking the time to post. I’m just learning my way around. When I see standard, I think...well, standard! Now I know better. Hah.

Now if I can just figure out how to write like an adult during meetings without getting ink all over myself...;)

Hope everyone had a great day!

The actual mouth of the cartridge/converter is wider on Chinese brands. It's the mouth size that's important, not the outer diameter. I was very clear on the terminology I used.

Also, I own an Ohto Dude, and I have a Schmidt K5 converter in it right now. I can switch that converter with a Levenger, Faber-Castell or Delta branded Schmidt K5 and they all work perfectly as well.

Here is a picture of said pen, with a Levenger branded Schmidt K5 converter in it:

PFXxPev.jpg

Looks like it fits just fine.

:) :lticaptd: Just wait until you get into nibs....each company has it's very own standards....and don't believe the BS that a 1.2/1.0 or 0.8 is going to be any closer than a B, M or F nib. All have tolerance and a skinny M can be exactly a fat F............then you back off into tolerance a 1000th of an inch....and you still can't see any difference.

Even Robots like the 10mx4m one Lamy uses for it's steel nibs, has width variation, within tolerance.

Your converter not fitting is big stuff......

......small stuff is getting OCD on my nib is not skinny enough. The odd thing is no one says my nib is not fat enough.....and there are enough folks that like fat/wide nibs too.

No matter how marked, or by what company, nibs come in real skinny, skinny, medium, broad, extra broad and real wide.

As long as the nib is with in hand grenade close accept it....and if it's horseshoe close....be happy. :rolleyes: Make that real happy.

All markings on a nib are only for @ only.

Japanese nibs are reputed to be the skinniest..............and their smaller marking range is not the western one, in they have a tiny printed script and the west has a flowing cursive. Comparing Japanese to Western in width is like comparing an apple and a pear.

Go to Richard Binder's com, it is the bible of fountain pens; nibs, filling systems and good advice about ink..............should take you three days to read through the first time.

Once 96% of all I knew came from there .....now only 92 1/2%........after all one should learn something in 8 or so years. B)

It is my firm belief one should make a pilgrimage there yearly. ...at least every third year. :)

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.