Conid Bulkfiller Kingsize Review

DocSpachemmen

I really enjoyed your review!

I currently have a regular Bulkfiller pen, but I have been analyzing for some time to get another pen from Conid.

I really like the King size model and if I had the opportunity (besides the money), I would have bought one of my grail pens - a Conid Bulkfiller Kingsize in Tibaldi Imperio celluloid.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alaskazimm

• half_inked_one

• oldrifleman

• DocSpachemmen

Half_Inked_one You can buy additional nibs and tools from Conid. I have tools for a couple of mine so I don't need them for the Antwerppen, but I did order a Titanium nib (Broad stub) which will be shipped by the first of Novemeber. What you do is go to their web site pick the type of Pen ( King size, Regular, ect) select zero in the number of pens and enter the desired items under that (nibs, tools, customizations).

Thanks a lot! I was wondering how to do

Half_Inked_one You can buy additional nibs and tools from Conid. I have tools for a couple of mine so I don't need them for the Antwerppen, but I did order a Titanium nib (Broad stub) which will be shipped by the first of Novemeber. What you do is go to their web site pick the type of Pen ( King size, Regular, ect) select zero in the number of pens and enter the desired items under that (nibs, tools, customizations).

Thanks for the info, I will order it this week! They should put it more clearly on their website, or hire you as the official info guy at the FPN :) .

Thanks for the info, I will order it this week! They should put it more clearly on their website, or hire you as the official info guy at the FPN :) .

Conid runs a pretty small operation so some of the administrative things sometimes fall through the cracks. I understand wanting more clarity on these things but I can appreciate them wanting to spend their time creating pens.

I've read several reviewers mention that their Minimalistica occasionally requires a shake to get the flow restarted. (Despite this, they all love their CONIDs.) Has anyone experienced this is the other models or is this quirk restricted to just the Minimalistica?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I've read several reviewers mention that their Minimalistica occasionally requires a shake to get the flow restarted. (Despite this, they all love their CONIDs.) Has anyone experienced this is the other models or is this quirk restricted to just the Minimalistica?

I have 3 Conids inked right now, one, my king size for about 4 months now. They are in a rotation with a couple of Nakayas. I have never experienced a flow issue with my Conids. They are all Titanium nibs if that makes any difference.

Congrats on your Kingsize! They are great pens.

Interestingly from your photos I noticed the design has changed since I bought mine --yours does not have a threaded ink window but is instead closer to the Minimalistica with a single-piece barrel. This is probably a benefit as ink can seep into the threads.

I've had this happen once. I was in a hurry to fill the pen so I wasn't sure how much ink I got in the barrel. After a few minutes of writing the ink ran out. After making sure the blind cap was open I decided I must not have pulled much ink into the pen. When I got home and cleaned out the pen I ended up dumping a full barrel of ink into the sink. If it happens again I'll make sure to give the pen a quick flick.

wow thank you so much for this review! I have had my eye on Conid for some time and the thing that puzzled me too was platinum vs gold. Thank you for wasting the $60 to let us know this information! it really helps me a lot!

Due to preferring fat pens (MB149, Danitrio Takumi,...), I'm on the fence between the Minimalistica or the Kingsize. How did you chose which you wanted without handling them first?

I have Kingsize, Minimalistica and the Regular. I'd rank them in that order based on your preference for larger pens.

I have a number of oversize pens (M1000, Homo Sapiens, King of Pen, et al) and the Conid Kingsize is the one I prefer the most in terms of in-the-hand feel. Very well balanced and very comfortable when posted. Absolute joy to write with. While the price may be a bit harder to swallow, I say get the Kingsize and be done with it.

That said, I was surprised how much I enjoyed the feel of the Minimalistica. I'm referring to girth and balance when posted. It's a very worthy choice itself. Perhaps my only criticism is the acrylic body can get a little slippery with hand oils. (I wonder if the black Delrin model improves this.) Also as you can see the barrel is somewhat feature-less. While I don't mind it, I can say that it feels a little different than most pens that have an actual section and threads.

I would caution against the Regular. It's an absolutely fantastic pen, but the tapered section doesn't work well for me. At the nadir of the section I feel like I'm clutching a #2 pencil or something. Love the pen ...I just don't reach for it nearly as much as the Kingsize of Minimalistica.

I have two Conids (Caisos), one with a fine Ti and the other with a CI gold. There are quite a few pens on my shelf and the Conids sit for long periods without use. Both nibs write on the first stroke, every time. By far the most reliable pens I have ever had.

After a year with the Conids I understand that Werner, Francis, and the other people at Conid have done something really special. They have created one of the finest pens in the world - from scratch and first time out. Sure, we can have issues with shape, weight, appearance and so forth, but these are just matters of taste. The underlying characteristic of these pens is quality, in both manufacturing and performance. I'm a fan!

How long was the wait time for the pen to ship?

For my recent Mininalistica order it was just about one month - ordered Sep 7, paid Sep 10, and shipped Oct 6. I'm waiting with as much patience as I can muster while expecting it to show almost any day now. Unfortunately the mail plane only comes out three days a week :(

I find the two Caiso's start first time, every time, even after not been used for a few weeks, but as pointed out by Lloyd the Minimalistica needs shaking after a day or so to get it to write.Are these observations shared by others?

For my recent Mininalistica order it was just about one month - ordered Sep 7, paid Sep 10, and shipped Oct 6. I'm waiting with as much patience as I can muster while expecting it to show almost any day now. Unfortunately the mail plane only comes out three days a week :(

Thanks for the reply. I ordered one a few days ago, and the estimated ship date is November 15th. I'm not very good about being patient either.

How long was the wait time for the pen to ship?

I waited about a month for my Bulkfiller, shipping within the EU is super fast (24 - 48 hours).

conid really does seem to be the rich man's TWSBI. I really like the giraffe.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Thank you for your review. I come from collecting vintage pens as well as a core of modern fountain pens, all of which see use, and my Minimalistica is one of my favorite pens. I keep it constantly loaded with Diamine Sargasso Sea, a saturated ink that leaves a coat of blue on inside surfaces, but the bulkfiller enables easy disassembly for cleaning. The Bock stainless steel M nib is such a joy to write with that I've yet to fit the F nib that came with the pen.

I find that ink in the small lower chamber readily drains back into the main large chamber when the Conid is inverted in my pen rack. Does anyone else find this to be the case?

Fred

Edited by FredRydr

conid really does seem to be the rich man's TWSBI. I really like the giraffe.

Well except for that whole cracking problem . . .