• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• Seele

• kobs

• sdbruder

sdbruder,

Show us when it arrives, and if you have a 659, a side-by-side comparison would be great too.

While the 9159 is touted by many sellers on Taobao as an "improved version of the 659" I am not convinced unless they are compared side by side. Reason being, the Wing Sung brand as used for writing instruments are legally owned by two companies: the Hero group who produces the 659 and others at their Victo works, and what's more sensibly called Wing Sung Educational (officially rendered from Chinese as the clumsy "Shanghai Yongsheng Culture and Education Utensils Limited Company") who was a subsidiary of the old Wing Sung pens.

While their Pilot-type nibs are dimensionally cross-compatible, the tipping grounds are different and branded differently: Victo mark them as "WING S" but WSE mark them with the old "pen through a circle" logo, and often with "WING SUNG" or "YONGSHENG" underneath.

I also suspect WSE uses converters with clear knobs at the back while Victo uses opaque knobs in black or white. While I have never been able to positively establish who was the real maker of the "Prera-esque" 3003, all the clues point at WSE.

Personally I consider models by Victo as the true successor of the Wing Sung bloodline, WSE largely do their own things, even though it is still a company within the Hero Group.

Edited by Seele

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

And the latest rumor abundant from China is that Hero pen is actually seriously considering re-launch of the Wing Sung brand and even consider re launching the old ( but now re-tooled ) production facility. This is conceived as a response to the increasing market ( mostly home market ) and its said that some vintage models will get a re boot. I've actually acquire a lot of the WSE Wing Sung logo nibs and intending to put them onto the Victo Wing Sung 698 and find those nibs actually quite nice. The saying is that these were OEM produced by Hero.

Edited by Mech-for-i

And the latest rumor abundant from China is that Hero pen is actually seriously considering re-launch of the Wing Sung brand and even consider re launching the old ( but now re-tooled ) production facility. This is conceived as a response to the increasing market ( mostly home market ) and its said that some vintage models will get a re boot. I've actually acquire a lot of the WSE Wing Sung logo nibs and intending to put them onto the Victo Wing Sung 698 and find those nibs actually quite nice. The saying is that these were OEM produced by Hero.

Mech,

Rumours aside, the Hero Group has to sort out the parallel operation of Victo and WSE to consolidate the identity of the brand name, and get rid of the "Yongsheng" brand for good. I would not be at all surprised by the demand for Wing Sung pens as its reputation is still quite formidable, besides, as a way to force the counterfeiters out of the scene.

While the Victo website is as rickety as can be and rarely updated, I have seen a fair few classic Wing Sung models having been relaunched, some accurately such as the 612, and some heavily updated such as the 613 (basically a 613-1 with C/C operation and optional clear case); both have been on eBay for a fair while now. I just had a look and the Wing Sung models listed are 612, 613, 621, 659, 690, 691, and 698; no 618 yet. They still have to work on the art of product planning, it seems.

How do you compare the Pilot-type nibs by Victo and WSE? I have both and the WSE has a bigger lump of tipping left after shaping, there seems to be some differences between samples though.

I've find the WSE nib generally a bit wider than the like marked Victo nib, and as you've stated, they have a bigger lump of tipping, The WSE nibs I've found to be firmer, probably due to different sheet stock of steel used, just my on hand experience here, nothing scientific. Finishing though, the Victo nibs are visually more blink blink ( aka very brightly plated ) but I've grind down a couple of the WSE nibs to my own and their plating remain quite un-harmed even after my abuse so I am not too concerned about that. They still are quite well plated and looks kind of classy as regard to the stamped on embossing vs Victo's plain text.

I do find it very fun to use the newly re engineered 613, though I am not much for the demo. Seriously I think now its a better ( usage and EDC ) pen than the old one and more ( new ) user friendly than the like of all the vintage hooded nibs.

Mech,

The Victo boys better make a variant of the 618 (with the appellation of 618-1 perhaps?) with steel cap like the 613, in completely clear form, plus opaque versions in beige grey and burgundy with six-window ink collar: keep retail price below $17 including P&P, that would be an updated 201: take my money please!

Edited by Seele

Well I am still awaiting the 618 in a proper opaque form , yeah I would take it with a steel cap too, and ditch that Parker-ish clip pls

I've find the WSE nib generally a bit wider than the like marked Victo nib, and as you've stated, they have a bigger lump of tipping, The WSE nibs I've found to be firmer, probably due to different sheet stock of steel used, just my on hand experience here, nothing scientific. Finishing though, the Victo nibs are visually more blink blink ( aka very brightly plated ) but I've grind down a couple of the WSE nibs to my own and their plating remain quite un-harmed even after my abuse so I am not too concerned about that. They still are quite well plated and looks kind of classy as regard to the stamped on embossing vs Victo's plain text.

I do find it very fun to use the newly re engineered 613, though I am not much for the demo. Seriously I think now its a better ( usage and EDC ) pen than the old one and more ( new ) user friendly than the like of all the vintage hooded nibs.

Mech,

The Victo boys better make a variant of the 618 (with the appellation of 618-1 perhaps?) with steel cap like the 613, in completely clear form, plus opaque versions in beige grey and burgundy with six-window ink collar: keep retail price below $17 including P&P, that would be an updated 201: take my money please!

Hey guys,

How good is the new 613 exactly? Is it better than the Jinhao 911?

The new 613, well personally I rate it better than the Jinhao, except for the part of robustness. If you had any experience of vintage Wing Sung hooded nibs, than the comparison is that the new one write less toothy, with a C/C filling mechanism, and generally assembly is tighter. The material also feel better. And of course the colour option is way better than just the plain black + steel Jinhao 911. Its using the 3.3X18.5mm hiided nib so its not hard to get hold of an EF or Fude variant. Actually I believe the Jinhao use the same nib sizing

of course one of the key area the Jinhao offer is that flighter style and tactile feedback, this is not something the 613 can do and you may or may not find it deciding factor. The other part is the profile of the pen, while they are generally similarly styled, the Jinhao is styled against the old Hero 33X series and the Wing Sung of course their vintage 613, there is subtle difference in the profile. In short one can say the Wing sung got a more streamlined section / profile; kind of; and coupled with slight difference in girth this may or may not yet again be a factor.

The new 613, well personally I rate it better than the Jinhao, except for the part of robustness. If you had any experience of vintage Wing Sung hooded nibs, than the comparison is that the new one write less toothy, with a C/C filling mechanism, and generally assembly is tighter. The material also feel better. And of course the colour option is way better than just the plain black + steel Jinhao 911. Its using the 3.3X18.5mm hiided nib so its not hard to get hold of an EF or Fude variant. Actually I believe the Jinhao use the same nib sizing

of course one of the key area the Jinhao offer is that flighter style and tactile feedback, this is not something the 613 can do and you may or may not find it deciding factor. The other part is the profile of the pen, while they are generally similarly styled, the Jinhao is styled against the old Hero 33X series and the Wing Sung of course their vintage 613, there is subtle difference in the profile. In short one can say the Wing sung got a more streamlined section / profile; kind of; and coupled with slight difference in girth this may or may not yet again be a factor.

Thank you for informative response, Mech.

I actually own a couple 338's all of which suffer from nib dry out issues that made them unusable and I was mainly worried about similar potential issues in case of the new 613. I can do without the flighter style and the colors of new 613 seem attractive so I'm definitely going to place an order soon.

• 3 weeks later...

This is some fascinating news. Do you have any sources (in Chinese or otherwise) about the "increasing market" in China for FPs? From my experiences in country they seem to be losing popularity because public schools are increasingly abandoning the FP requirement. Gel pens and rollerballs seem to have destroyed the FP market where I am in the northeast.

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Well, the junior school sure do tend to gravitate towards less use of fountain pen in daily study, but the curriculum still had penmanship and calligraphy both with soft ( brush ) and hard ( fountain pen ) pen . Hero's annual report had detail breakdown of their business and while it might be so that general public are less inclined to use fountain pen, the fountain pen business figure state otherwise. What manifest is a resurrection of the interest in using fountain pen by a population of urban young professionals ( Yuppies ) and also a trend in the College and High School student community to facilitate use of fountain pens. Which reverberate towards other demographic sector. The overall market circulation and revenue for the major names all see an increase, this is likely a reflection of not just people buying but also how they are buying. In the past people tend to buy a couple of pens and that's it, today many new comers are buying dozens of pens. Its no different than other hip trend or hobby ... how long this trend may last its anybody's guess.

The Chinese education Dept. had penmanship grading and exam that high school student can take and claim a certain level of penmanship and the figure of that shown in recent years see a raise of students taking the exam ( even though its optional ) and of course such a acquired diploma skill also figure into their future resume so I suppose there is some incentive for the students to take this up. Its sort of like skill as in computer usage ( word processing, etc ... ).

At least the way I see it personally I am seeing many new comers of much younger age than I do picking up the use of fountain pen , and this is not China only, its happening all around Asia in general, at least more than what I see with younger generations in regard from US and Europe. Very successful marketing is behind some of these but its also rooted in cultural and social norm. People who can write well are generally regarded with higher esteem than those who can just write, and this is true also almost anywhere.

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment. It also depends on which part of the country because southern China tends to have a more rigorous education system than where I am in the north. In my college classes I've noticed an average of 2 students per class of 30 using a fountain pen and those students are usually from the south. Every year I end up getting at least one student who is enamored with pens and inks (and even moreso after I get a hold of them haha). For most university students fountains pens just seem too high maintenance and not worth the care.

I can see what you mean about the increase in yuppie pen purchases. I've also noticed the increase in young professionals buying tons of pens for pleasure on places like Taobao. This is probably the first time in Chinese history that so many young people can afford such luxuries like a fountain pen collection. It's a good time to be a fountain pen lover in China!

Edited by TruthPil

fpn_1451608922__truthpil_signature_small

Well, the junior school sure do tend to gravitate towards less use of fountain pen in daily study, but the curriculum still had penmanship and calligraphy both with soft ( brush ) and hard ( fountain pen ) pen . Hero's annual report had detail breakdown of their business and while it might be so that general public are less inclined to use fountain pen, the fountain pen business figure state otherwise. What manifest is a resurrection of the interest in using fountain pen by a population of urban young professionals ( Yuppies ) and also a trend in the College and High School student community to facilitate use of fountain pens. Which reverberate towards other demographic sector. The overall market circulation and revenue for the major names all see an increase, this is likely a reflection of not just people buying but also how they are buying. In the past people tend to buy a couple of pens and that's it, today many new comers are buying dozens of pens. Its no different than other hip trend or hobby ... how long this trend may last its anybody's guess.

The Chinese education Dept. had penmanship grading and exam that high school student can take and claim a certain level of penmanship and the figure of that shown in recent years see a raise of students taking the exam ( even though its optional ) and of course such a acquired diploma skill also figure into their future resume so I suppose there is some incentive for the students to take this up. Its sort of like skill as in computer usage ( word processing, etc ... ).

At least the way I see it personally I am seeing many new comers of much younger age than I do picking up the use of fountain pen , and this is not China only, its happening all around Asia in general, at least more than what I see with younger generations in regard from US and Europe. Very successful marketing is behind some of these but its also rooted in cultural and social norm. People who can write well are generally regarded with higher esteem than those who can just write, and this is true also almost anywhere.

I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment. It also depends on which part of the country because southern China tends to have a more rigorous education system than where I am in the north. In my college classes I've noticed an average of 2 students per class of 30 using a fountain pen and those students are usually from the south. Every year I end up getting at least one student who is enamored with pens and inks (and even moreso after I get a hold of them haha). For most university students fountains pens just seem too high maintenance and not worth the care.

I can see what you mean about the increase in yuppie pen purchases. I've also noticed the increase in young professionals buying tons of pens for pleasure on places like Taobao. This is probably the first time in Chinese history that so many young people can afford such luxuries like a fountain pen collection. It's a good time to be a fountain pen lover in China!

And that translates, among other things in the production of new models of fountain pens , what is good for us fountain pen lovers . :)

I love Fountain Pens, with hooded nib in the classic style, Parker 51/61 type .

Ionut - Marius

• 9 months later...

You can say that again lol. According to my mom, when she was in school, she wasn't allowed to use ballpoints until high school. Fps and pencil only. Reason= ballpoints teach bad habits. So despite being ESL level 3, my mom still has beautiful cursive in English. But then she liked calligraphy and she did lots of practicing when she was younger.