Issues With Restoring 2 Parker 51

jskywalker

I wanted to re-sac my two trusty Parker 51 that are leaking. I have problem removing the pump to access the sac in one pen, and problem separating the hood cap that covers the nib for the other....

I had use hot water, hot air.... but still cant get both out.

What can I do next ?

Any solvent ..??

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• jskywalker

• FarmBoy

• pajaro

Dry heat. Multiple applications is often necessary.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Dry heat. Multiple applications is often necessary.

+1. I have normally found multiple applications of dry heat necessary. For tge pump, a Vac Tool is advised If you put a normal plier on the filler unit, you will most likely ruin the threads the blind cap screws on to, or at least strip the paint. That ruins the effect. Unless you plan to do enough of these resacs to justify the cost of the tool, I would just send them out. If you do it yourself, make sure you get the Vac lubricant for the sac.

I have three 51 Vacs awaiting resac. I have the sacs. I have put a very low priority on this task, scheduling it for some time in 2075. I am 69. .

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

+1.

I have the sacs. I have put a very low priority on this task, scheduling it for some time in 2075. I am 69. .

Where would that scheduled task take place and who would you get the parts supply from in 2075? :) Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I wanted to re-sac my two trusty Parker 51 that are leaking. I have problem removing the pump to access the sac in one pen, and problem separating the hood cap that covers the nib for the other....

I had use hot water, hot air.... but still cant get both out.

What can I do next ?

Any solvent ..??

Definitely no solvent. :o

As has already been said, you can't remove the pump on a 51 Vac without a special tool. It's possible to buy a split ring from some sources, plus a Loggerhead tool, or you buy a special wrench from somewhere like Pentooling.

Then you will need to be able to resac the pump and reinstall it. This is another tricky task. For this you will need to buy a pellet pusher, a new sac, and the special lubricant. That's assuming you don't break the plunger off.

By comparison the 51 aero should be easier. You need heat to remove the hood, and you need to be really careful when heating the hood to remove it. Mine came off after a couple of cycles in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I have just finished restoring three P51 aerometrics after disassembling them using dry heat. Two had crumbled sterling silver tubes that I replaced with plastic tubes and the third had a puntured sac.

With use of dry heat both the hood/section and the sacguard come out pretty easily. Use a hair drier. And be careful not to use too much heat at once. You may have to have more than one try. I had to also take out the parts of the broken silver tubes stuck in the opening/hole of the feeds for which I also used dry heat.

Good luck with your restoration project.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

What is wrong with the Plyglass sacs?

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

There's a lot of fungi and leak. Not sure if it's broken or the glue deteriorated.

The white starbursts in the sac are not fungus. Willing to bet you have a mushy sac nipple.

The white starbursts in the sac are not fungus. Willing to bet you have a mushy sac nipple.

FarmBoy if one has repaired the mushy (plasticized) sac nipple would it be ok to use the same sac with the white starbursts or would that sac cause once again 'mushiness' to the sac nipple?

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

For those who have not seen a mushy sac nipple and a sac with white starbursts, here is one.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3U1ZqdWFTUkRKQUE/view?usp=drivesdk

After cleaning the gunk from the nipple:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3ZmswQ2M3TlJxbmc/view?usp=drivesdk

My repair of the sac nipple:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3QTJfcE1Sd1NvT2M/view?usp=drivesdk

Replacement nipple cut to size:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3Y0U5U21XSUVpS3M/view?usp=drivesdk

Replacement nipple glued to the connector and polished:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_v0YzkCPJQ3Y1RIY25wTWRMTWc/view?usp=drivesdk

I don't know if I did it right or wrong but it did work for me and the pen is doing well after the repair. I know that Ron and FB do it by enlarging the opening of the connector for the replacement tube/sac nipple to fit into it but since I had a pretty thick plastic tube I instead filed the end of it that was supposed to be glued into the connector.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

(1) Thank you, mitto for the photos. I had never seen an aerometric sac under repair. (And is it "mitto" or Khan? I've read your posts so often that I should get this right!)

(2) A Parker 51 aerometric filling system is superior to a cartridge / converter. Send the 51's to a repair expert and then enjoy the pens for the next 50 or 75 years. The Parker 61 c/c is an elegant successor to the 51, and designed for the new filling system. The 51's aerometric system is, I think, the best filling system ever made. Removing it to make the 51 a c/c pen is a bit like removing the the transmission in a Jaguar XKE to use an automatic transmission from a 1999 Honda Accord. The Honda was a fine car -- I owned one -- but the XKE is one of the great automobiles of all time.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

I would stick with the aerometric filling system. I have a 51 I bought in 1970 and have used heavily since. It is still the best pen I have ever used. I often muse "Fool, you bought all those other pens looking for something better!"

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Yes, the aerometric is the one for me too. I was late in buying a 51. I bought my first double broad nibbed 1948 forst green aerometric 51 in 1991 for Rs.350.00 ($3.25 as per today's exchange rate). That pen is still my favorite among my 51s. And that is the only double broad nibbed 51 among my US made 51s.

After that first 51, I don't remember ever seeing a 51 aero and not buying it even if it was a parts pen.

Khan M. Ilyas