New Release Namiki Emperor Toryumon Fountain Pen

airline0

Namiki Emperor Toryumon Fountain Pen

The rapids in a gorge that cuts through the Longmen Mountains in the upper reaches of the Yellow River in China have been called “Longmen” (Dragon’s Gate) since time immemorial. Legend has it that a fish that swam up through these rapids, was transformed into a dragon and ascended to heaven. This written episode gave rise to the expression “climbing the Dragon’s Gate” (“Toryumon” in Japanese). Even today, the story remains widely known as a tale, with a basis in historical fact, about overcoming difficult hurdles that lead to success even when beset with adversity. Only 99 of this limited edition have been produced worldwide. A precision 18-karat gold nib with rhodium accent and a superior ink delivery system ensure the first-class writing quality and long-lasting performance.

​For inquiries email us at orders@airlineintl.com

post-39227-0-18413300-1507675029_thumb.jpg

post-39227-0-52932300-1507675065_thumb.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Charles-

• mehandiratta

• haruka337

• Mew

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got it from Landolt-Arbenz in Zurich, Switzerland. One of the most beautiful pens in my collection. IMHO Pilot with its brand Namiki has the best price-performance ratio for artisanal collectors-pens. Better to buy one only of these best Pilot's artists peaces, Emperor or Yukari Royale, than a more expensive or even some cheaper pieces from many other brands, for example producing a large number of limited pieces, different limitations on the same subject, industrial mass products with an enormeous expenditure on advertising and worldwide events as a German branch of Richemont. That Namiki Toryumon is limited to 99, but the quality of a non-LE doesn't second to it. Perhaps they're producing even less, because a considerable number of collectors are looking on limitation rather than on realization.

At less than the half of the price you could buy a Namiki Yukari Royale "Frog" (2017, coming soon, not 1933). It's also an exceptional pen, from the points of view of techniques as well as of its colours. Look at it on the Namiki site. It isn't limited.

A Montblanc 149 is my writing-"instrument" for every day. Or from time to time a Sailor with a special nib.

Edited by Charles-

Hi Charles,

I have some customer relationship with Namiki and have talked to them a few times. I asked them why there is a considerable difference between the prices of non-LE Maki-e emperor and LE Maki-e emperors. There response was: both LE and Non-LE Maki-e emperors go through the same process of deliberation with the committee as whether it should be accepted or not, and same amount of effort is put in by the artist whether a pen is LE or not. With Non-LE, there are larger number of pieces to recover the cost of R&D as compared to non-LE. This is why there is a significant price difference between the two.

Quality is same, I.e. Exceptional. In my opinion, Namiki makes the best pens and you have bought an exceptional piece from them. Congratulations. :)

Will you be using the pen? The design doesn't speak to me much. It's a bit too black and I am not able to see the dragon in any of the online photos. Still, taking nothing away from the pen and the work put in by the artist, it's beautiful.

My personal favourites are the 95th Anniversary Nobori-Ryu Ascending Dragon and non-LE goldfish.

Edited by Mew

As usual, the pen is exquisite. But, also as usual, it's *also*:

(1) way beyond anything I could ever afford; and

(2) I can't take the risk of buying or using a maki-e pen because of the urushi lacquer. :(

Or as I said to my husband several years ago after drooling over some website chock full of gorgeous works of makie-e art masquerading as fountain pens: "Look dear, I've just saved you 20,000 dollars...." B) But somehow he just didn't seem to appreciate my sacrifice. :huh:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Thanks, Mew, for your explanation.

Yestarday I did use that pen. But to use often I prefer the other Emperor type with clip. But even these are used very seldom. As said: not for everyday.

Have a look at the Namiki site, http://www.pilot-namiki.com/en/collection/limited/toryumon/, "Enlarge" an then "Entire motif" (you'll have to wait for some s) to see the fine differences between the four phases and the coloured parts not visible on the first official Pilot-pics.

Edited by Charles-

Probably costs as much as a Toyota, I would rather have the pen though

"One Ink-drop on a solitary thought hath moved the minds of millions" - P R Spencer