The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Ballpoint Or Rollerball?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 stevekolt

stevekolt

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 04:11

When not using one of your fountain pens, what do you prefer? A ballpoint or a rollerball? Why? 

Sponsored Content

#2 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:21

Ballpoint with Parker or G2 style gel refill. I prefer gel refills over the standard ballpoint, because they're much smoother. I prefer gel over rollerball refills because they work well over a broader range of papers. Rollerballs can bleed through paper.
Regards,

Ray

#3 NinthSphere

NinthSphere

Made in Cognito

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:32

Gel, specifically an Itoya GPR-7, in a Jotter or Maxmadco. Same reasoning as RayMan.

#4 Chrissy

Chrissy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,530 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:25

Rollerball as they are wetter but sometimes I just write with a ballpoint.

flying-letter-exc.png

#5 SallyLyn

SallyLyn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 838 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 14:12

If you need to write vast amounts and are on a budget a ballpoint is the way to go.
Gobs of money and ability to carry extras I’d go with the Uni Jetstream.

#6 hinky

hinky

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 14:47

My trusty stainless steel Parker Jotter works really nicely with Schneider Gelion (Parker style gel) refills. I'm not really sure what category it falls under (rollerball or ballpoint). I love that the body of the refill is transparent, which is useful if you like knowing how much ink you have left. It puts down a nice consistent line and I find it smooth and pleasurable to write with.

#7 IvoryParker

IvoryParker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 16:55

I actually prefer both, depending on whatever pen whim that I am on.  More partial to rollerball however.

#8 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• 6,341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 22:49

I love that the body of the refill is transparent, which is useful if you like knowing how much ink you have left.

I prefer the clear refills as well. Not only can you see how much ink you have left, but also how much ink you started with. I'm just paranoid, and I don't trust manufacturers of the metal refills.
Regards,

Ray

#9 usk15

usk15

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 22:49

I prefer the clear refills as well. Not only can you see how much ink you have left, but also how much ink you started with. I'm just paranoid, and I don't trust manufacturers of the metal refills.

I read a while ago that plastic refills have thicker walls than metal refills, resulting in less internal diameter/ less capacity, resulting less ink. I'm guessing that is due to the resistance factor, metal refills being stronger then plastic refills.

#10 RayMan

RayMan

Penathlete

• Member - Gold

• 6,341 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 05:33

I read a while ago that plastic refills have thicker walls than metal refills, resulting in less internal diameter/ less capacity, resulting less ink. I'm guessing that is due to the resistance factor, metal refills being stronger then plastic refills.

Interesting. I never thought of that. Thanks.
Regards,

Ray

#11 qvxb

qvxb

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 October 2017 - 20:04

Rollerballs generally produce a darker line than ballpoints, but the Parker Quinkflow ballpoint refill with black ink comes close.

Retro 51 Tornados can use a rollerball refill or a Parker style ballpoint refill.

#12 hinky

hinky

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:52

That makes a lot of sense. 😁 But since I always carry numerous FPs and the jotter is just a back up (and the one I hand to other people when they borrow a pen), I can do without the bigger ink capacity. I guess it depends on the OP if he needs a pen with a lot of ink. 😊

#13 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• 5,469 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2017 - 17:26

Was never a fan of ink sticks so gel pens for me and they are technically consdered ballpoints, as for jotter refill I dont like the thick lines but if ever... I think Inoxcrom refills are ok

#14 Witsius

Witsius

I was told there would be cake.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:39

I guess I prefer gel pens like the Uniball Signo or the Pilot G2 over a ball point.  But I've got a Parker Jotter that I really like, and I have a few Fisher Space pens of various styles that I also enjoy.  I need to find the Schmidt Parker style gel refillls and give those a try.  I prefer the bolder line of a gel pen.  

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.  Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

#15 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2017 - 23:14

I prefer a Pilot G2 with a 1.0 broad refill. :thumbup:

#16 888007888

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 17:04

I prefer a Pilot G2 with a 1.0 broad refill. :thumbup:

Me too 👍.

Although I have so many other pens such as MB ballpoints and rollerballs, that I feel the need to use the other pens in my collection. Pulled out the GvFC Intuition Platino wood RB last night. Haven't used it in about a year. Super smooth and write just like a brand new refill. Much smoother than any MB RB that I've ever used. Was surprised that it didn't hard start!

#17 Donald2

Donald2

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 October 2017 - 19:19

I prefer a smooth rollerball. I write with a number of different types of rollerball pens like the Pentel Energel, G2, Cross Century II rollerball, Parker Jotter with Gel ink, Uni multi colored gel pens, Uni rollerballs, Pentel V5 rollerballs and Tombow rollerballs.

#18 Zookie

Zookie

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 804 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 October 2017 - 15:11

When not using a fp, I like to use a heavy, dark rollerball.

I have pretty severe arthritis in my hands, and a ballpoint is too uncomfortable.

#19 sandy101

sandy101

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,381 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 October 2017 - 00:11

I carry a ballpoint, because pens that don't like fountain pen ink tend not to like rollerball ink (I write lots of postcards). 

At work, I tend to switch between Fps and pilot G2 rollerballs.

So, the answer is both. 

#20 C95

C95

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 November 2017 - 15:52

The Parker gel dries almost instantly, faster than a rollerball but its line is quite dark. I was disappointed by the 1.0 quinkflow because of its pale line, gray not black! Are there different version of it?I have not found a pure ballpoint with a decent true black yet

Sponsored Content

|