Nakaya Newbie Questions

krishna

Hey all,

I've been saving up for a while and with an upcoming life-event, I want to get a pen to commemorate it. One of my options is a Nakaya Portable Writer (most likely with the metal threads - purely out of cost). Being new to ebonite, I was hoping someone will be able to help me with a few questions :-

1. How sturdy are Nakaya pens? I have a 20 y/o MB146 that writes like a champ and has a few scratches from daily use -- are ebonite pens built to withstand every day use (4-5 pages of writing).
  2. How about cleaning and flushing Nakaya pens? Are there any necessary precautions or can I use JB Penflush on it? Or soak the section in water before switching inks?
  3. Has anyone noticed problems with the metal threads vs the ebonite threads?
  4. Considering that I like the way an MB146 fits in my hand (also, the Lamy 2000, or Sailor 1911), do you think I will find the Nakaya Portable Writer comfortable? Or any other model?
  5. Also, how old is your Nakaya? :)

I appreciate any responses and please add anything that'll help me decide.

Regards

Krishna

Give your 100% to everything you do ..... except donating blood.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• krishna

• jar

• Drcollector

• Mew

Top Posters In This Topic

I own several Nakaya pens so I will do my best on your questions.

1.I use mine everyday and they are less likely to scratch than my MB149s

2.I use JB pen flush on mine. I will drop the section into a small vial with Jb and let it soak for a few minutes. I then flush several times with water. alternatively You could just hold it under a warm water tap.

3.I have had both and sold the metal thread decapod. neither caused trouble, I just did not like it (threads and Pen)

4.I have never held a MB 146 but I have some older MB pens and they are very similar in size.

5.Mine are all less than three years old.

I have one Nakaya.

1. Unless you keep it with keys etc. it won't get scratched. Whatever usage grade scratches happen will be less than a on a plastic pen. It's a lacquered pen.

2. I used to flush mine using the convertor 15-20 times and that cleans out all the ink. Never used a pen flush.

3. My Nakaya was bought when there were no metal threads on Nakaya's.

4. The Nakaya I have is 3+ years old. I had another one briefly (4 days) before I moved that out. I don't use the current one that much.

Edited by Mew

I own several Nakaya pens so I will do my best on your questions. 1.I use mine everyday and they are less likely to scratch than my MB149s 2.I use JB pen flush on mine. I will drop the section into a small vial with Jb and let it soak for a few minutes. I then flush several times with water. alternatively You could just hold it under a warm water tap. 3.I have had both and sold the metal thread decapod. neither caused trouble, I just did not like it (threads and Pen) 4.I have never held a MB 146 but I have some older MB pens and they are very similar in size. 5.Mine are all less than three years old.

Thanks for replying oldrifleman. I am happy to hear that it can take quite a bit of normal usage. I am pretty careful with my fountain pens, and I am pretty sure that it will be in a case when I take it work with me.

I have one Nakaya.

1. Unless you keep it with keys etc. it won't get scratched. Whatever usage grade scratches happen will be less than a on a plastic pen. It's a lacquered pen.

2. I used to flush mine using the convertor 15-20 times and that cleans out all the ink. Never used a pen flush.

3. My Nakaya was bought when there were no metal threads on Nakaya's.

4. The Nakaya I have is 3+ years old. I had another one briefly (4 days) before I moved that out. I don't use the current one that much.

Nope -- not keeping it with keys :) I am going to get it with the clip, so its going to stay secure in my front pocket. Thanks for replying Mew!

Nope -- not keeping it with keys :) I am going to get it with the clip, so its going to stay secure in my front pocket. Thanks for replying Mew!

You're welcome.

Regarding keeping it in your front pocket, you will have to step out in sunlight at some point, maybe while going to work and during the work hours as well. Urushi needs to be kept away from sunlight so keeping it in the front pocket won't work for too long without damaging the Urushi.

I have owned several Nakayas, half of which are still with me.

1. In my experience, lacquered pens are less likely to scratch compared to resin or metal.
  2. I rinse my Nakayas like any other pen. I have never used JB Penflush.
  3. I have not owned one with metal threads, but I have had one with "difficult" threads, where you needed to carefully align it to screw it closed.
  4. The Portable is a great place to start. I would also recommend the Decapod or Naka-ai.
  5. My Nakayas range from several months to several years old.

Urushiphile

You're welcome.

Regarding keeping it in your front pocket, you will have to step out in sunlight at some point, maybe while going to work and during the work hours as well. Urushi needs to be kept away from sunlight so keeping it in the front pocket won't work for too long without damaging the Urushi.

Arg.. you're right. Maybe I'll have to be more thoughtful and make better use of the pen-kimono if I end up buying the Nakaya?

I have owned several Nakayas, half of which are still with me.

1. In my experience, lacquered pens are less likely to scratch compared to resin or metal.
  2. I rinse my Nakayas like any other pen. I have never used JB Penflush.
  3. I have not owned one with metal threads, but I have had one with "difficult" threads, where you needed to carefully align it to screw it closed.
  4. The Portable is a great place to start. I would also recommend the Decapod or Naka-ai.
  5. My Nakayas range from several months to several years old.

Thanks Guitarist for your inputs! I looked at the Decapod and Naka-ai, but there is something so fundamentally simple about the cigar shape that keeps bringing me back to the Portable Writer.

FYI, the metal threads will add some weight to the pen, though a number of users noted that they felt no difference at all. I refer you to Nakaya's official measurements page.

If you are choosing metal threads purely for economical reasons, I would ask you reconsider. IMHO they disrupt the design, especially in finishes like heki or shu. It would be more subtle in finishes like black, hairline, sumi, or kuro.

Urushiphile

Arg.. you're right. Maybe I'll have to be more thoughtful and make better use of the pen-kimono if I end up buying the Nakaya?

Woah there.

There are thousands of buildings and statues and and other things that are decorated in urushi. One of the major uses in the past was on sword scabbards and armor. Getting sun in the normal use is really not a big issue.

I don't know how old any of my Nakayas might be and I'm at least the second owner of several.

I have owned both Nakayas and Montblancs and prefer the Nakayas in every area.

I have both metal and natural threaded ones and notice no differences.

All Nakayas are hand made so every single one will have different dimensions and weights even in the very same model.

For cleaning I just wipe the pen down. For flushing I use an ear bulb. I do not soak any parts.

Boring Details

http://www.fototime.com/DD17DCF7FE9CDCA/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/405D64928CED22C/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/861DED6E4BE9605/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/0C1FFB5DF2F4066/medium800.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/13A278811AAA45D/medium800.jpg

Hi Jar,

Thank for the lovely pictures and the information on how tough the urushi can actually be. This makes my choice an even harder one ;) The last picture you posted is especially stunning! I love how the urushi fades to reveal the red ebonite beneath!

... the urushi fades to reveal the red ebonite beneath!

The ebonite beneath is black.

What is being revealed is another layer of urushi,

Edited by gary

The ebonite beneath is black.

What is being revealed is another layer of urushi,

REALLY? I thought it was the pen with the red ebonite! Thanks for correcting me gary!

REALLY? I thought it was the pen with the red ebonite! Thanks for correcting me gary!

Again, remember that each pen made will be slightly different. Urushi is made and colored in very small batches so in the case of the red pen above any other similar pen will show differences. The underlying layer might be darker red or black or whatever color the artists happened to make when he worked on that pen. As the overlaying color becomes more transparent the underlying color comes through.

These are all AkaTamenuri pens:

http://www.fototime.com/8D5B1459F88D774/large.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/B48311FB2C49FFE/large.jpg

Also, the color seen will depend on the lighting at the moment:

Artificial light:

http://www.fototime.com/85D16E454F1C4F7/medium800.jpg

Filtered natural light:

http://www.fototime.com/8D98F7B4227AE62/medium800.jpg

Direct sunlight:

http://www.fototime.com/6D19BEBE106F275/medium800.jpg

Three anecdotal things I've noticed with Nakaya pens

1. The platinum converters have been more prone to being problematic (e.g. piston doesn't want to turn). The converters aren't terribly expesnive, so I'd suggest getting an extra one (or 4 :)

2. The layers of urushi lacquer of some colors and some pens does change ever time. It is a slow process and some pens seem to change more than others. The changes can include translucency, so that you see some of the deeper layers and/or lighting of the color. This is part of the appeal IMO of a hand made object, but be aware that the specific pen you get might not be 100% identical to another pens you saw.

3. The finish seems much more robust and scratch resistant than you might first guess. My personal experience is that it's a harder finish than resin plastic pens.

Three anecdotal things I've noticed with Nakaya pens

1. The platinum converters have been more prone to being problematic (e.g. piston doesn't want to turn). The converters aren't terribly expesnive, so I'd suggest getting an extra one (or 4 :)

2. The layers of urushi lacquer of some colors and some pens does change ever time. It is a slow process and some pens seem to change more than others. The changes can include translucency, so that you see some of the deeper layers and/or lighting of the color. This is part of the appeal IMO of a hand made object, but be aware that the specific pen you get might not be 100% identical to another pens you saw.

3. The finish seems much more robust and scratch resistant than you might first guess. My personal experience is that it's a harder finish than resin plastic pens.

Thanks for the input bleair. I am getting a sense from all the replies so far, that the finish is quite hardy and not as delicate as I imagined. With a little TLC, I suppose it should last a while!

• 2 months later...

The UV rays of the sun most definitely ruin urushi over time. You will never see anyone in Japan displaying their valuable urushi finished items anywhere near sunshine. In fact, dish wear is almost always returned to boxes or cloth bags after use. Nakaya’s site mentions it I believe and any search online will state the same thing.

I know of this as my Piccolo has the early dulling effect on the top of the cap and only on the clip side where it would face the sun while in my pocket. Needless to say, I now carry my acrylic Sailors in the summer and the Nakaya pens in the winter where they are covered by a jacket.

I did contact Mrs. Kono at Nakaya and they do offer a refinishing/repolishing service in this case, at a cost.

Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Long Cigar, standard fine two tone nib/ Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Piccolo, soft medium stub in two tone/ Nakaya Aka-tamenuri Neo Standard, medium cursive italic/ Sailor Pro Gear fine/ Sailor Pro Gear medium cursive italic/ Pelikan M800 extra fine/ 1954 Monte Rosa medium left oblique/ Nakaya Naka-ai, medium left oblique, Heki-Tamenuri/Sailor Realo ll, medium left oblique/ Cross Townsend “Year Of The Rooster” medium/ Pilot Vanishing Point, fine.

I have a half-dozen Nakayas, the oldest being nearly a decade old. You don't need to worry at all about the urushi finish. It is a hard-wearing, resolute material with great depth and tactility and though the actual colour may change with time this is part of the charm - a pen that, like you, evolves as it ages.

The "hard" parts of Nakaya pens are Platinum, and so should be viewed as such: unreliable (but cheap and easily replaceable) pistons - don't bother with the pretty maki-e finishes - and wonderful nibs in a great number of variations.

Treat the pen well, and as you would any other, and it will give you a lifetime of pleasure and faithful service.

Too many pens; too little writing.