Method for shortening Rotring ArtPen

caliken

The Rotring is a very good. inexpensive pen - but it's too long to fit most pockets. Some time ago, I altered some for my own use, and as it was successful, I'm posting my method here. Once altered, it's a great everyday pen.

I found that the Rotring ArtPen and the Namiki Falcon caps are about the same length, so I compared both pens capped and made the Rotring the same length as the Namiki.

The method is very simple and takes less than an hour to complete.

First of all, get one of the little black mapping pen holders (pic 1) They are solid plastic and are very inexpensive.

(pic 2) With a small saw or Stanley knife, cut the barrel of the Rotring to the required length.

(pic 3) Ram and twist the Mapping pen holder into the Rotring barrel, having first determined that the inserted pen holder does not go too far into the barrel.

(pic 4) No adhesive is necessary - the join will be rock solid. Cut off the extending mapping pen holder.

(pics 5 & 6) Shape the end with fine emery paper then polish it with metal polish (Brasso in the UK)

Whilst using the polish, I remove the Rotring wording, as I don't like its appearance.

The end result is a pen which can be carried around in a pocket or bag - and it looks good!

I'm posting this here, because this is where I've seen adverse comments about the length of this otherwise excellent pen.

caliken

Edited by caliken

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• caliken

• Manenpitsu

• goldkiwi

• scason

Neat idea for a modification! I can't even tell in those last two shots that it wasn't always that way! I just bought a Pilot Parallel and I'm finding it too long as well. Not sure if I can do the same thing though, as the barrel is a light silver-grey and the cap is orange <_<

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/4619/inkxchangemm0.png Currently out of vials.my ink list

Ink of the moment: mix of Noodler's Lermontov, Britannia's Blue Waves, and Whiteness of the Whale

Neat idea for a modification! I can't even tell in those last two shots that it wasn't always that way! I just bought a Pilot Parallel and I'm finding it too long as well. Not sure if I can do the same thing though, as the barrel is a light silver-grey and the cap is orange <_<

I'm not familiar with the Pilot Parallel pen and haven't seen one. However, the shortening method should work with any hollow, over-long pen barrel. I chose black plastic to match the Rotring ArtPen but you can do the job just as well with an old wooden paint brush - size 3 or 4 would do fine. As long as the shaft tapers to wedge into the barrel, it's OK. When completed, the modification is within the barrel end, is hardly noticeable and could be finished off with a touch of paint to match.

I hope this is of help.

caliken

• 2 weeks later...
That is great. I did the same thing awhile back but used the cut off portion of the Art Pen to jam back into itself which after sanding, gave the bottom an "inlaid" white dot. You can see it on a sketching forum I belong to at this link: http://sketching.cc/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25

.......and I thought I was being original! Well done - you were there before me! (great photos)

caliken

Edited by caliken

Great idea!! I'm going to have to try this. My Artpen is always in the way with no place to put it away due to length. Looks like a fun project.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 4 years later...

Thank you for the post. I will not butcher a pen ( I don't have one but plan o getting one to use all the artist inks available) but it's interesting how neat the operation is.

I "hacked" mine after reading these posts. It was very easy to do, and I think I did a pretty good job at it. I just tailor-made the cut off barrel so it fit a "plug" from a pen that I had lying around. I like it much better now with a shorter barrel.

Is anyone over at Rotring reading this?? How about making some short replacement barrels? I think they'd sell.

Is anyone over at Rotring reading this?? How about making some short replacement barrels? I think they'd sell.

As there is renewed interest in this topic, I'm posting the original attachment again, as it is no longer available for viewing on the original post.

The Rotring Artpen, the Pilot Parallel pen and probably others, are designed with long, tapering barrels. As they serve no practical purpose, I can only assume that this is an attempt to look "arty". In so doing, they are made far less practical, as they can't fit easily into the average pocket.

Ken

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd289/caliken_2007/posted-RotringArtPens600.jpg

I remember chopping the end off a Rotring Artpen many years ago (The eighties I think, when they first came out) I hacksawed the end off, and then used a black end button of a Bic Crystal ball point. I was lucky - it exactly fit.

Whatever is true,whatever is noble,whatever is right,whatever is pure,whatever is lovely,whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

Philippians 4.8

Cool thread, I have made a couple of these too! Currently have only one with a 1.1mm nib, it is actually one of my favourite pens. Tremendous value and so much fun to use for journaling etc.

• 3 years later...

Did this mod with great results, thank you Mr. Fraser!

"The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true..." (Carl Sagan)

hmm

On the contrary, I like the longer pens.

I'm not sure why; balance, feel, look, ???

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com