Lamy Nibs And Modification...?

Christopher Godfrey

Perhaps the best place for this question is the "Nibs and Tines" forum; but I prefer to ask here first...

Is it feasible or possible to modify these nibs for flex? Are they perhaps too small for modification? The forum to which I refer is highly technical and often very <professional>! If someone here has already achieved anything in this area, then I might go over there and ask again.

Lamy nibs are "nails", in the words of someone who knows a lot about flex in the Pelikan forum (thank you, Bo Bo, for the loan of your words); but Lamy <used> to make some gold nibs that were not bad (I had a silver cp1 many moons ago that had a 14kt nib that was quite un-rigid, to invent a new word); but they obviously don't make anything like that now. The gold insert in some of their upper-end nibs <may> offer some "give", but I doubt it, somehow...

Any comments or input, anyone? I am interested, mostly, in vintage flex, nowadays, and I hardly use my Safaris any more and may sell them as I weed out the non-flexy specimens that I have collected over the years. However, if one <could> take the Dremel tool to these llittle nibs, then one might be tempted to try!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Christopher Godfrey

• dapprman

• migla9

• ErrantSmudge

Top Posters In This Topic

Lamy nibs are replaceable and cheap, so it seems ripe for experimentation. You may also need to carve out a little of the feed to increase the ink flow.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

I have three modern gold nibbed Lamys, one medium and two fine. All three have flex, more as a comfort factor, but certainly enough to get a certain amount of variation safely. Steel nibs are very rigid though.

Make that 4 gold nibbed Lamys, forgot I just picked up a 2k - smooth but too small for any flex like on the other three.

Thank you, Smudge and dapprman, both! It might, then, be worth experimentation, although I have many vintage Watermans, Pelikans et al, so I wonder why I would bother? ;^)

dapprman, your nibs have the gold strip in them, I assume (down the tine slit)? You know, my first cp1 had a ribbed, sterling silver barrel and a proper 14kt nib and this latter had some real softness to it -- not real flex (understandable, inasmuch as those nibs <are> small), but it was nothing like as "nail-ish" as the modern iteration. I missed that pen for a long time after it was liberated from my jacket pocket in a doctor's waiting room in Johannesburg; but today I would find those cp1s too slim for comfort...

Cheers, you two, and thanks again!

One thing to bare in mind, no modern nib can flex like one from before the 1960s, so in comparison the Lamy nibs are closer to semi-flex at best, but do offer variation. As to looks, yes visual wise my non 2k nibs have a gold strip in the middle (not sure if the outer is gold, plated in another substance, or if they're gold inserts).