Pelikan M200 Or Aurora Duo Cart?

Pennenut

Dear fellow pen enthusiasts,

I'm interested in purchasing either a Pelikan m200 or Aurora Duo Cart. Both of these have a steel nib, based on your personal experience which do you recommend and why? I would greatly appreciate your input!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kevan

• langere

• Driften

• cleosmama

Top Posters In This Topic

My recommendation would be for the Pelikan M200. The nibs are screw-in, and if you decide that you want to have both an F and M nib (or any other combination on hand), it's easy to make the change. I just think the DuoCart is overpriced for a pen that has a steel nib. I did see the Goulet has a couple in their Bargain Basement, so if I bought one, I would look for one that is under the $180 they are asking for it (even if it is a set including ink).

You can get the Smoky Quartz Pelikan for $148 at Goulet.

The Pelikan M20x series pens are nice pens but on the small size and also light weight. I like my M215 with its metal body more then my M200 demonstrator. I have not owned a DuoCart so can't help there...

Driften gave good advice on the M215. I too like the extra heft of the metal body--- it's certainly worth a look.

The Pelikan M20x series pens are nice pens but on the small size and also light weight. I like my M215 with its metal body more then my M200 demonstrator. I have not owned a DuoCart so can't help there...

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

The M200 Smoky Quartz is on Massdrop right now with ink for $135.

Edited by Runnin_Ute

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

I am presently using an Aurora Duo Cart. I really like the nib, which is unlike other Aurora nibs and less toothy than other Auroras. It flows beautifully - a great writing experience.

However, I have a problem with the pen, as it leaks sometimes. It leaked all of the time when I had Noodler's Legal Lapis in it. I had it checked out where I bought it and the technician saw no problems with the pen. He suggested I switch inks, which I did - to a Pelikan Konigsblau. The leaking problem improved, but it still leaks at odd times, though much less frequently than before.

I have never had that problem with any of the Pelikan pens that I have. The other difference is that Pelikan has a piston filler, whereas the Duo Cart is a cartridge/converter pen. The Duo Cart has a slip-on cap, whereas the Pelikan has a screw-on cap that sometimes unscrews in your shirt pocket. The Duo Cart does not fail in that fashion.

Hope all of this helps!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Hmm. Hard one. First of all, the Aurora is the better writer. Yes, yes I know the first thing people are going to say is "But you get multiple nib sizes with the M200 and the nibs screw out!" Well, I've tried several of the M200 nibs, and from medium up, they are prone to baby's bottom. They also aren't cheap, considering they're just steel (and small) nib units.

Purely from my experience, the Aurora completely beats the pants off the M200 as a writer. Aurora, quite simply, hit a home run with this nib. It is the best steel nib I've ever used. **BUT** you only get one nib size...a fat medium. If that's what you like, then go for it. Otherwise, the M200 wins for versatility. You get more nib options with it.

The Aurora wins in terms of ergonomics. It works for larger and smaller hands, posted and unposted. The M200 is small. Pictures online make it look fatter than it really is. Posted, it works fine but be aware you are getting a skinny pen.

Price, the M200 wins. Both of these pens are overpriced, but the (basic) M200 is less. You can get an M200, and 2 nibs for the price of the red Duo Cart. But if you're thinking about a special edition M200, then....yeah. There's a tie here

Piston-filler vs. Cartridge-Converter....pick your preference in terms of ink reservoir. The M200 is easier to clean than other piston fillers due to its screw-out nib, but the Aurora is super-easy to clean as well. It's a tie here, unless you really care about ink capacity. Some people do. I used to, but now I don't.

The M200 is bullet-proof, basically. It's a little piece of plastic, but it'll last decades and the piston filler is well-built. The Aurora is a vintage-designed looker, heaver with a solid cap and brass barrel liner, and wins in terms of aesthetics IMO. But aesthetics are purely up to you.

The Aurora leaks from the nib with some viscous inks. I have had it leak with Aurora Black and Iroshizuku inks, but it hasn't leaked with Montblanc inks, Diamine, and Pelikan inks. I don't know why this is.

If I was to just recommend with my brain, the M200 wins here. If you just want a reliable daily writer with bullet-proof construction and nib options, go for the Pelikan. But for me, the aesthetics and ergonomics of the Aurora make it a better buy. It looks awesome and is comfy for short and long writing sessions. My hand cramps with the M200, and I don't really have large hands.

A medium-small 140 is 'small' un-posted, a pen that posts long.

A 200/400 is Standard sized......if one is brought up with modern Large unbalanced pens one could find standard sized un-posted pens small....though if posted are longer and better balanced than any Large pen but a Snorkel.

And out side the skinny Snorkel, large pens were not popular back in the day or there would be more of them for sale in the used market....and that goes for the Large PFM from Sheaffer, in they were to clunky to write with all day long. I never saw a PFM in real life back in the day.....'50-60's.

This is the first time I've heard the 200's nibs are prone to baby bottom. I had shipped some 8-10 nibs to a pal in England. Having tested the nibs is the reason I bought my 215, in having a slew of 400's didn't need a 200...........have an Amethyst, and a W.Germany 200......and a steel Celebry nibbed pen. Never a porblem, nor had I ever read about this 200's baby bottom before!

What I've heard is that the gold 400/600 is prone to baby bottom, like my 605.

As to steel vs gold nib, I have Osmias that have a gold nib as good as its steel nibs. :o

I have '90's Pelikans where the gold is as good as the steel nibs. :huh: Amazing how good a gold nib can be if someone actually puts their minds to it. :P

The 200's are a very good springy steel nib, made to semi-vintage and vintage sizing, that gives a good ride. From the tone of the poster who despises steel nibs, Pelikan steel nibs are not Knox nibs.

I learned a good steel nib can easily be as good as a good gold nib. Accent on good.

Osmia opened my gold nib snob eyes on grand steel nibs. Pelikan '90's steel nibs were a second cup of coffee, or I'd never bought a 215 and a Amethyst. The steel matched the gold in 90's Pelikan. Geha made a nice regular and semi-flex steel nib too, matching the gold....in class. I do have a regular flex steel school pen nib and a semi-flex steel school pen. I had had a steel semi-flex steel Geha nib, that I swapped being it was loose and I had a semi-flex gold nib in that size. I was still a foolish gold snob then. If I had to do it over, I'd kept that very, very nice steel nib!.

Of course today, most nibs are nails.............and a nail's a nail, and there gold is worse, in it costs so much more than the = steel nail.

The only way a gold nail can be 'softer' is if it's actually a semi-nail, like a 400 or 600 instead of the expected regular nail of modern issue.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

What's "Duo-cart" about the Aurora ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

What's "Duo-cart" about the Aurora ?

Nothing. The "Duo Cart" feature of the original is gone, but they've kept the name for this new pen. Some people don't like that, but honestly I don't see the problem. The Duo Cart was based on the original design of the 88. Aurora still has the 88, and calling this new pen the "88 vintage" would confuse people. They also have already used the "Archivi Storici" name before. So Duo Cart was the only one left.

In other words, you were supposed to be able to put in two cartridges, one for use and the other for backup. I have a converter in my pen and so do not want to take it out right now, but presumably the pen is not long enough to accommodate two cartridges at the same time.

Once I am finished with this pen, happy to let you know - I'm just about done with the ink.

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

It's not long enough for 2, because Aurora-style cartridges (proprietary with Parker, I believe), are long. I don't believe they make short ones, though I could be wrong.

This is why the name annoys people, but honestly, looking at Aurora's point of view, they didn't have much choice....unless they used the Archivi Storici name again. It comes in an Archivi Storici box, but perhaps they didn't want to confuse people with the "88" name, as well as with their 2009 Archivi Storici pens. So what other option did they have?

• 2 weeks later...

Buy the M200. over the years I have had 2 experiences each with Pelikan and Aurora service. The Pelikans returned repaired, free of charge except in one case I was asked to pay for the postage which was more than fair I think. Both of my encounters with Aurora’s service department have been rather chaotic. One instance was resolved. The other is still not, nearly a year later.

Aurora does make beautiful pens. No argument here. But I would be careful about another purchase.

Maybe the answer is in how much you will use it? All day at the office? Then I would say the Pelikan. Occasional letter writing? Then the Aurora should be fine.