The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Kenrick & Jefferson K&j Super Pen Eyedropper Fountain Pen

6 replies to this topic

#1 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 01:29

Kenrick & Jefferson K&J Super Pen Eyedropper Fountain Pen

http://www.ebay.com/...en/372085509730

s-l1600.jpg

This pen has what appears to be a Mabie Todd over and under feed with twisted wire.

Does anyone know anything about this pen and any relationship to Mabie Todd?

Sponsored Content

#2 chunya

chunya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:40

Hi Greenie,

I read a piece on K&J a while back which gave a fair bit on their history and saved it to my favourites, but for the life of me I can't find it. I do recall that they were a large Stationers who were based in Birmingham (or thereabouts), and that many of their pens were made by Mabie Todd. If I find it I'll post it.

Slightly off topic, I followed the link you gave and had a gander at some of their other pens, and I can't see why their MB146 is so rare ... rather it looks as if it might be an old 146 body with a newer cap.

ps, I love those two banded Swans you've picked up  :thumbup:

Edited by chunya, 06 October 2017 - 08:42.

#3 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 19:00

Excellent. It sounds like this is known to be a Mabie Todd pen.

ps, I love those two banded Swans you've picked up  :thumbup:

:)  They are small and clipless, but post to a perfect size and write beautifully.  

#4 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 14:51

Hope Steve Hull doesn't object to me quoting from his 'The English Fountain Pen Industry 1875 - 1975'  -  page 109 .......  wherein he writes apropos of the demise of Albert Watts who died 04.09.1926   -  Watts had been governing director of M.T. in the U.K.   ............

"The British Stationer ​of October 1926 contained several obituaries, one by Fred Jefferson of Kenrick & Jefferson, for whom Mabie Todd had made own-brand 'K&J Super' pens for many years .... etc.  ....    "He was one of the princes of the stationery trade etc.    ......"

Whether it applies to all of K.&J. 'Super' pens I'm not sure, but believe most of the models had a distinctive orang/red insert where normally there would be a cap screw (on pens with ringed clips).         Steve Hull gives a date range of 1918 -  1922 for 'Super' Pens (page 184), which on the face of it seems a little at odds with the above comment "made own-brand 'K&J Super' pens for many years .................".        Judging by the typed figures that may be a speculative statement in the book, but that's my opinion only.

I have only one of these 'Super' Pens, and it's a sacked example with open nib and feed without any combs, a riveted cap clip and standard looking chasing on the cap and barrel, now unfortunately slightly oxidized.     It looks to be the case that barrels and nibs were provided with K.&J. own trade mark logo of a very stylized K & J, within an oval shaped cartouche  -  a very attractive logo.

Apart from Steve Hull's book I've seen some info. on K.& J. but not sure now where that was.

Edited by PaulS, 07 October 2017 - 14:52.

#5 eachan

eachan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 16:45

That's the earliest K&J I've seen.  Mabie Todd made several pens for them, including some very handsome late twenties/early thirties ones.  Other K&J pens look a little like Mabie Todd but are not.  The last ones were made by Burnham, if memory serves me well.  Not to everyone's taste as the nibs are rigid for use with K&J's multipart forms.

Regards,

Eachan

#6 MercianScribe

MercianScribe

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:14

I picked up this rather well-kept looking little number last week for a fiver. Its gone to my Mums, so Ill let you know what I can discern from its paperwork when I get it around Christmas. I fancied a non-flex good apart from my one Wyvern, so Im quite pleased with the look of this so far! Especially as its made in West Bromwich just like me (near Birmingham as was said up there)!

Attached Images

• 3CA536E1-6DB5-4D2C-9DF0-E1F9A162EA60.jpeg
  • E5FEE71F-639E-4883-96AA-8BAC67C9AE2F.jpeg

Edited by MercianScribe, 17 November 2017 - 10:16.

Hi, I'm Mat

This week's EDC: Pilot Penmanship (demo, B italic, Iroshizuku Old Man Winter/Pilot Blue mix), Preppy (red, 0.3), Preppy (green, 0.3), 

This week's home rotation: Watermans 12 PSF (XF-3B wet noodle, Diamine Red Dragon), Watermans 3J (B-4B broad flex stub, Pilot Blue)

#7 eachan

eachan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 November 2017 - 11:27

https://goodwriterspens.com/?s=Kenrick

Regards,

Eachan

Reply to this topic