Diamine Autumn Oak - Compact Review

Jan2016

Thank you for the post!

I refrain from commenting on flow because as you say, flow dependents on a lot of variables, pen, paper, speed of writing, and maybe some more. And to me it is also a subjective thing. The same as to saturation and lubrication.

Some members have a fast experience and have used a lot more inks then I do, so I consider their opinion more useful then mine on that subject. :)

Thank you for taking time to reply to my rather frivolous post.

To me, it is a pity that I cannot obtain any of such information on an ink from your presentation/reviews. I know I cannot expect more from you and I appreciate your effort and time taken to show us inks. :)

Just a sidenote (you don't have to answer these or as you please): Would you be interested also in perhaps using finer nibs or even Japanese fine nibs which some people might view as "boring and no fun to write with" in your future presentations of inks? And perhaps on a variety of papers? As a fountain pen and ink lover, I am very curious about many things - many types of pens and papers and inks. I am not sure if we share the same curiosity but of course, I cannot expect. :)

Edited by minddance

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jan2016

• minddance

• TSherbs

• A Smug Dill

I keep the review compact and only on 1 piece of paper. I choose for tomoe because that is my favorite and it brings out the best of the ink, especially if you like sheen. I don´t have fine Japanese writers or "scratchy" ones. The good thing is that the forum has a couple of very good other reviewers and we all cover different aspects. I will not give names, in fear of forgetting one :D but if you search on the ink you will find them!

I keep the review compact and only on 1 piece of paper. I choose for tomoe because that is my favorite and it brings out the best of the ink, especially if you like sheen. I don´t have fine Japanese writers or "scratchy" ones. The good thing is that the forum has a couple of very good other reviewers and we all cover different aspects. I will not give names, in fear of forgetting one :D but if you search on the ink you will find them!

Hi Jan2016:

Thank you very much again for your reply and your explanation on the choices you make w.r.t pens and papers you use.

You see, from your presentation, and even by communicating with you, I cannot get an evaluation/judgement from you regarding the ink. I have to be the one evaluating and guessing the properties of the ink by looking at your pictures of inks (or by buying a sample to try). I am beginning to wonder if you are the reviewer or am I the reviewer because of the lack of information in your presentation.

Then this does not sound like a review to me. A review is a report (no matter how long or 'compact'), a critique, an evaluation, or at least with some description. Of course, there can be objective information but they can be subjective too, no need to be evasive/afraid of voicing your personal opinions. Right now, it is very funny, because you, if you call yourself a reviewer, do not have a voice and do not have opinions and judgement on this ink. With all due respect, could I call your presentations "presentations"? or maybe a "showcase of ink colours"?

But, please do not stop doing them. Or perhaps in future, you might be interested to move on to doing reviews - where you would include your judgement/evaluation/criticism/description of an ink.

With all due respect, could I call your presentations "presentations"? or maybe a "showcase of ink colours"?

But, please do not stop doing them. Or perhaps in future, you might be interested to move on to doing reviews - where you would include your judgement/evaluation/criticism/description of an ink.

What lovely backhanded compliments you dispense. Perhaps you should be ordering all those inks you're even mildly interested in, put in the effort to produce what you deem proper reviews of them, and publish them to show us how it's done, instead of criticising others for not giving you what you apparently want.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

What lovely backhanded compliments you dispense. Perhaps you should be ordering all those inks you're even mildly interested in, put in the effort to produce what you deem proper reviews of them, and publish them to show us how it's done, instead of criticising others for not giving you what you apparently want.

I am showing my appreciation and encouragement in Jan2016's presentation of inks and at the same time, tell him/her how I do not see it as a 'review'. If you would like to see it as 'backhanded', there's no stopping you. Likewise, there is no stopping if someone wants to call something an 'apple' and another person disagrees. I am just pointing out the stark differences between a 'presentation of ink' and a 'review'.

A reviewer can criticise an ink/pen, and another person can review a reviewer, or at least discuss certain points or add on to certain points. And if you like, a review on a review(er), to learn about certain things or to add on, to engage in healthy discourse. I am sure there is room for discussion on these matters, especially in places such as a forum.

As for criticism, as long as healthy, can bring about improvements. When a reviewer reviews inks, maybe he said something he didn't like about the ink, you can't ask him to produce an ink the way he apparently wants. Or maybe you can. So there is no need for you to tell me what to do or what not to do. I am pretty sure your good self have started and engaged in alot of discussion too - some way more vehement than this.

Have a nice day.

minddance

I am not sure why I deserve all this attention from you.

I don´t want to get you upset, so please call it anything YOU like (`reviews`, `showcase`, `presentation` etc), because obviously you now precisely how things should be done.

And just to be sure, you don´t have to look at my `reviews`, `showcase`, `presentation`, you just can skip them and safe yourself the distraction.

There are more important things in life, but of course that is just my opinion.

BTW this remark of you is interesting:
`So there is no need for you to tell me what to do or what not to do. `
I just had the impression it is exactly what you are doing....

Or perhaps in future, you might be interested to move on to doing reviews - where you would include your judgement/evaluation/criticism/description of an ink.

So there is no need for you to tell me what to do or what not to do.

Let me get this straight. Your suggestion quoted above does not count as telling what Jan2016 what to do at her cost of time, effort and/or resources, but when I suggest what you could do to both get the information you want (by getting it from your own testing and 'review' on inks) and demonstrate to us how you think reviews ought to be done, that's not just a constructive suggestion in kind but telling you what to do?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Jan2016, I find your reviews interesting, important and helpful. Thank you!

Edited by 7is

These reviews come in all shapes and sizes, as do people. Each one has something different to add. I never expect any one of them to be totally objective or complete. Simply read several.

I have sampled Autumn Oak but don't prefer it because I found it dry and too brown so I don't have it any more. But I do like looking at pictures of it occasionally.

Jan2016

No matter what is said, I find your reviews interesting, informative and "fun" Thank you for your time and efforts!

I just got a bottle of this and found it much more brown than the picture. It's very much an orange-brown, like someone mixed pelikan smoky quartz with monteverde fireopal.

I love it. Good manners, good dry times, I have it inked in my sailor zoom nib, so if any ink is going to misbehave, it'll be in that double broad monster.

Not a super wet ink, but lots of nice shading.

Aaaaand another argument thread. Nope. Not gonna participate.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I just got a bottle of this and found it much more brown than the picture....

Me too. Some like that, some don't (me). But I agree with your assessment.

That is an interesting observation. The chromo shows only reds and yellows. And I checked it and screen colors look according to the paper ones.

Is it possible to show it in a picture? And on what paper did you use it?

Everyone's perception of hues is different, plus the scans and photos can cause variations in colours. My experience with Autumn Oak (a really long time ago so I'm just speaking from memory) is quite close to Chrissy's images (that Jan reposted above). I can see there's a slightly muted hue in the colour. Autumn Oak is surely browner if compared to other brighter, more vibrant oranges like Diamine Pumpkin or Sailor Kin-mokusei, but Autumn Oak itself is not so brown as to become a "burnt orange" like KWZI Monarch or Private Reserve Orange Crush.

Edited by Lgsoltek

That is so weird. My bottle looks almost identical to Ochre in your scan.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Interesting.... Is it possible to share pictures?

Maybe mislabeled?

I only experienced once that a bottle was mislabeled and that was not with Diamine as far as I remember.