Value Of Mabie Todd Nibs

Beechwood

I was having a discussion with someone at the London Pen Show as to what would be a fair price for MT Nibs in 4, 6, and 8 sizes. these are nibs on their own.

I suggested £40-80 for a # 4, £60-120 for a #6 and a #8 could be in excess of £200.

The other chap thought these figures were way over the top, as in twice as much.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beechwood

• Cob

• MarcShiman

• Lelouch

Well, considering you can buy a lot of MT pens (complete with nibs of a size six) in the region of £60-£120 I think I'd tend to agree. If you're looking to flog them for a very high price though, ebay prices these days on pretty much anything pen or pen related seem to be hitting the silly sphere.

Well, considering you can buy a lot of MT pens (complete with nibs of a size six) in the region of £60-£120 I think I'd tend to agree. If you're looking to flog them for a very high price though, ebay prices these days on pretty much anything pen or pen related seem to be hitting the silly sphere.

Pens when parted out are worth more than the whole pen.

2020 San Francisco Pen Show
August 28-30th, 2020
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

I noticed that the other day, a MT NY No 2 nib sold for £77 on ebay.

I think that the prices mentioned above are probably fair, but 8s are very rare and could fetch more. However of course a Swan 8 would fit only a Swan 8 pen as far as I know, therefore there might be fewer sales prospects.

A flexible nib will always be worth more; like sex, flex sells! Many 4s, 6s and 8s were Eternals and therefore less desirable.

Broads, stubs and obliques also have their following and being less common, could command a premium - especially of course if they are flexible!

Here for comparison purposes Swan 2, 4 and 8:

fpn_1501344528__3_nibs.jpg

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

That #8 is a beast. A big beautiful beast.

Yes, bit of a whopper isn't it!

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Many 4s, 6s and 8s were Eternals and therefore less desirable.

What is it about Eternals that makes them less desirable?

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

They are often stiff with little or no of the flexibility that you find in other MT nibs. I understand that they were meant for use with carbon paper.

The idea of an “eternal” came with the LeBouef “unbreakable”, Sheaffer “lifetime”, etc. Eternal pens were made to be stronger and more durable. Part of that was that the nibs were thicker slabs of gold. That obviously impacted the flexibility of the nib.

Often the flexibility that we now chase was simply due to manufacturers’ desires to keep their costs down by reducing the weight of the gold nib.

Eternal flexible nibs do exist, Charles Whitehead, probably the most extensive collection/owner of Swan pens worldwide, told me my flexible #8 Eternal was not that rare.

Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

I have a wet noodle #1 nib on one of my Swan SM1/57 that I wouldn't trade for any other nib whatsoever bigger and/or thicker.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have a wet noodle #1 nib on one of my Swan SM1/57 that I wouldn't trade for any other nib whatsoever bigger and/or thicker.

Quite right. Size isn't everything you know...

Cob

Eternal flexible nibs do exist, Charles Whitehead, probably the most extensive collection/owner of Swan pens worldwide, told me my flexible #8 Eternal was not that rare.

Wow, I imagine I'll now waste the next decade or so looking for flexible eternal MT.

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow

Wow, I imagine I'll now waste the next decade or so looking for flexible eternal MT.

Tell me about it 😂

I feel the same way, my grail pen was already an Eternal 48 in Red mottled hard rubber (full size, not vest; and American clip that doesnt touch the band), now Ill also be hunting those softer eternal nibs (currently have a rigid fine 46 RMHR which I use for blue book exams in college)

Fred Ryder had a 4 size flexible Eternal nib for sale on another board.

Would you be able to provide me with a link (either here or by PM)?