The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Value Of Mabie Todd Nibs

15 replies to this topic

#1 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 13:16

I was having a discussion with someone at the London Pen Show as to what would be a fair price for MT Nibs in 4, 6, and 8 sizes. these are nibs on their own.

I suggested £40-80 for a # 4, £60-120 for a #6 and a #8 could be in excess of £200.

The other chap thought these figures were way over the top, as in twice as much.

How many people does it take to comment on a question on FPN? One to give advice and make suggestions. Another one to repeat everything that the first poster has said. Fourteen to share their own experiences of their pens and comment on how the original advice was flawed.
Seven who just want to increase their post count. One to say that they have no regrets about doing anything and people should follow their example. Another to say that if there is anything wrong with the pen it is just down to using Diamine Shimmer ink. Six to argue over whether its a worth doing anything with it and the OP should just throw it away and buy their Parker 51. Another six to condemn all of the above as being  stupid and anyway they would rather be on FP Geeks. One to say that the pen is cheaper where they live. Five people to post pics of their own pens. One to say that if the OP had Faith then the pen would work - and gets banned very quickly.

Finally, one to close down the thread because it has lost its way.

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2017 - 15:09

Well, considering you can buy a lot of MT pens (complete with nibs of a size six) in the region of £60-£120 I think I'd tend to agree. If you're looking to flog them for a very high price though, ebay prices these days on pretty much anything pen or pen related seem to be hitting the silly sphere.

#3 AltecGreen

AltecGreen

Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• 4,179 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 15:11

Well, considering you can buy a lot of MT pens (complete with nibs of a size six) in the region of £60-£120 I think I'd tend to agree. If you're looking to flog them for a very high price though, ebay prices these days on pretty much anything pen or pen related seem to be hitting the silly sphere.

Pens when parted out are worth more than the whole pen. 

2017 San Francisco Pen Show        
August 25-27th, 2017
Pullman Hotel San Francisco Bay
223 Twin Dolphin Drive
Redwood City Ca, 94065

#4 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,476 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2017 - 16:19

I noticed that the other day, a MT NY No 2 nib sold for £77 on ebay.

I think that the prices mentioned above are probably fair, but 8s are very rare and could fetch more.  However of course a Swan 8 would fit only a Swan 8 pen as far as I know, therefore there might be fewer sales prospects.

A flexible nib will always be worth more; like sex, flex sells!  Many 4s, 6s and 8s were Eternals and therefore less desirable.

Broads, stubs and obliques also have their following and being less common, could command a premium - especially of course if they are flexible!

Here for comparison purposes Swan 2, 4 and 8:

fpn_1501344528__3_nibs.jpg

Cob

Edited by Cob, 05 October 2017 - 16:22.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#5 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,169 posts

Posted 05 October 2017 - 16:57

That #8 is a beast. A big beautiful beast.

How many people does it take to comment on a question on FPN? One to give advice and make suggestions. Another one to repeat everything that the first poster has said. Fourteen to share their own experiences of their pens and comment on how the original advice was flawed.
Seven who just want to increase their post count. One to say that they have no regrets about doing anything and people should follow their example. Another to say that if there is anything wrong with the pen it is just down to using Diamine Shimmer ink. Six to argue over whether its a worth doing anything with it and the OP should just throw it away and buy their Parker 51. Another six to condemn all of the above as being  stupid and anyway they would rather be on FP Geeks. One to say that the pen is cheaper where they live. Five people to post pics of their own pens. One to say that if the OP had Faith then the pen would work - and gets banned very quickly.

#6 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,476 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 13:10

That #8 is a beast. A big beautiful beast.

Yes, bit of a whopper isn't it!

Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

#7 mariom

mariom

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 October 2017 - 05:13

Many 4s, 6s and 8s were Eternals and therefore less desirable.

What is it about Eternals that makes them less desirable?

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

=====================================

#8 Beechwood

Beechwood

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 4,169 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:55

They are often stiff with little or no of the flexibility that you find in other MT nibs. I understand that they were meant  for use with carbon paper.

#9 MarcShiman

MarcShiman

Inspiring Discovery

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 882 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:06

The idea of an “eternal” came with the LeBouef “unbreakable”, Sheaffer “lifetime”, etc. Eternal pens were made to be stronger and more durable. Part of that was that the nibs were thicker slabs of gold. That obviously impacted the flexibility of the nib.

Often the flexibility that we now chase was simply due to manufacturers’ desires to keep their costs down by reducing the weight of the gold nib.

HEISERMAN PEN SWAP

Dec 9, 2017 - 10-3pm

Brookville Academy, Brookeville, MD

Free admission, no dealer tables. Bring your pens and trade

#10 eckiethump

eckiethump

Jack's the lad

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 20:49

Eternal flexible nibs do exist, Charles Whitehead, probably the most extensive collection/owner of Swan pens worldwide, told me my flexible #8 Eternal was not that rare.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge (Charles Darwin)

http://www.wesonline.org.uk/

#11 mitto

mitto

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,665 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 October 2017 - 14:46

I have a wet noodle #1 nib on one of my Swan SM1/57 that I wouldn't trade for any other nib whatsoever bigger and/or thicker.
Khan

#12 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,476 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 October 2017 - 15:51

I have a wet noodle #1 nib on one of my Swan SM1/57 that I wouldn't trade for any other nib whatsoever bigger and/or thicker.

Quite right.  Size isn't everything you know...

Cob

#13 Ambien

Ambien

Consulting Detective

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 15:45

Eternal flexible nibs do exist, Charles Whitehead, probably the most extensive collection/owner of Swan pens worldwide, told me my flexible #8 Eternal was not that rare.

Wow, I imagine I'll now waste the next decade or so looking for flexible eternal MT. 

Tempus edax rerum

#14 Lelouch

Lelouch

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:55

Wow, I imagine I'll now waste the next decade or so looking for flexible eternal MT. 

Tell me about it 😂
I feel the same way, my grail pen was already an Eternal 48 in Red mottled hard rubber (full size, not vest; and American clip that doesnt touch the band), now Ill also be hunting those softer eternal nibs (currently have a rigid fine 46 RMHR which I use for blue book exams in college)

#15 MarcShiman

MarcShiman

Inspiring Discovery

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 882 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:31

Fred Ryder had a 4 size flexible Eternal nib for sale on another board.

HEISERMAN PEN SWAP

Dec 9, 2017 - 10-3pm

Brookville Academy, Brookeville, MD

Free admission, no dealer tables. Bring your pens and trade

#16 Lelouch

Lelouch

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:30

Fred Ryder had a 4 size flexible Eternal nib for sale on another board.

Would you be able to provide me with a link (either here or by PM)?

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|