Monteverde Amethyst (Gemstone Collection)

visvamitra

Monteverde is part of Yafa company. Some time ago the company offered wide array of new inks with Ink ITF™ - new Ink Treatment Formula that's supposed to drastically improve ink-flow quality, extend cap-off time and improve ink drying time on paper. After trying two inks I can agree it's not just marketing - the inks behave very well.

New colors are divided into two series. The newest one is called GEMSTONES.

fpn_1498288355__gemstone_monetverde.jpg

I admit I have a problem with this name as Pelikan started their Gemstone collection (Edelstein inks) years ago and was succesfull. I do realise that this name can't be copyrighted but I feel something's off. Sure, it's easy to base marketing on proven and succesfull ideas but I feel just a little bit of disapproval. I believe they could have created something new, especially that the colors are rather interesting and eye-catching.

Anyway the line has inks

1. Amethyst
  2. Charoite
  3. Erinite
  4. Fireopal
  5. Garnet
  6. Moonstone
  7. Olivine
  8. Ruby
  9. Sapphire
  10. Topaz

I appreciate the fact that Monteverde posted on their website data about these inks ph:

fpn_1498288810__gemstone_monetverde_ph.j

Bottle

The inks can be bought in 30 (and 90) ml bottle. The bottle is made of lass, has simple design and id pretty functional - stable and with wide neck allowing to fill quite comfortably (as long as there's more than 60 % of the ink content in it) evem monster fountain pens straight from the bottle.

Ink

fpn_1507134901__amethyst_is.jpg

The ink is well saturated and displays an interesting purple hue. It shades nicely, with the slight sheening. The flow is smooth and the ink feels well lubricated even in dry pens. Some feathering and bleedthrough will be experienced only on crappiest papers (hello Moleskine). Drying time is reasonable. Also, it's impressive that the ink doesn't dry out when you leave the pen uncapped. Even after three minutes the pen starts without any skipping when you put the nib to the paper.

Thank you Nikaa for allowing me to fill Pilot CH92 with this ink :)

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1507134919__amethyst_rk.jpg

Color ID

fpn_1507134941__amethyst_mi_3.jpg

Color range

fpn_1507134957__amethyst_mi_4.jpg

Rhodia, Pilot CH 92, medium nib, stubbed

fpn_1507134977__amethyst_m_1.jpg

fpn_1507135000__amethyst_m_2.jpg

Midori, Pilot CH 92, medium nib, stubbed

fpn_1507135050__amethyst_mi_1.jpg

fpn_1507135074__amethyst_mi_2.jpg

fpn_1507135095__amethyst_mi_5.jpg

Tomoe River, Pilot CH 92, medium nib, stubbed

fpn_1507135138__amethyst_tr_1.jpg

fpn_1507135160__amethyst_tr_2.jpg

fpn_1507135178__amethyst_tr_3.jpg

Water resistance

fpn_1507135196__amethryst_monteverde_h2o

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• visvamitra

• lgsoltek

• inkstainedruth

• namrehsnoom

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty color. But similar to inks I already have. So this is a maybe.

Thanks for the review.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Is this considered a purple?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I was thinking this color is very similar to R&K Cassia, and LGSoltek beat me to that observation. Though I have become enamored with Monteverde inks, I already have Cassia so will pass on this one.

Edited by ErrantSmudge

• 3 years later...