The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Sheaffer Vacuum-Fil Pens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:59

Hi, Folks! 

This is a Sheaffer Vacuum-Fil Marine Green c1934. Vacuum-Fil was a new sub-brand for Sheaffer, introduced in 1934 and featuring a new single stroke plunger filling system before it was applied to Sheaffer branded pens.  The first Vacuum-Fil pens are 5 inches long and came in Black and this Marine Green, model V6H, and sold for $2.85, with a $1.65 matching pencil, but $3.95 in a set.  Dealers were encouraged to compare the pen to ones costing $5 and labeled the pens at that price and the set for $6.65.  The Sheaffer name does not appear on the pen.  The gold plated clip, barrel imprint and unhallmarked gold nib all are stamped Vacuum-Fil.  This pen came with a replacement 14 karat gold nib.

Anyone want to share their Vacuum-Fil branded pens?

VacuumFil_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 Uncial

Uncial

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2017 - 13:30

:crybaby:

My little tortoise balance just lost its suction the other day when I was cleaning it out. I think the cork ring got stuck down the bottom. Not sure if anyone can fix it here and don't really want to send it to the States. They are so fragile too; even the teeny weeniest crack will scupper the whole pen.

#3 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 12:45

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Vacuum-Fil lever-fill pen in red marble celluloid c. 1935. Vacuum-Fil was a sub-brand for Sheaffer, introduced in 1934 and featuring a new single stroke plunger filling system before it was applied to Sheaffer branded pens. After introduction, Sheaffer treated Vacuum-Fil as a sub-brand and introduced lever fill models, such as this 4 5/8 inch long junior size pen. The Sheaffer name does not appear on the pen. The gold plated clip, barrel imprint and unhallmarked gold Number 3 nib all are stamped Vacuum-Fil.

I always thought the Vacuum-Fil pens as a brand were interesting. Lets see some more examples!

56757B6D-659F-4037-9B87-2008C970AE57.jpeg

Thanks!

#4 mehandiratta

mehandiratta

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 17:56

Hi, Folks! 

This is a Sheaffer Vacuum-Fil Marine Green c1934. Vacuum-Fil was a new sub-brand for Sheaffer, introduced in 1934 and featuring a new single stroke plunger filling system before it was applied to Sheaffer branded pens.  The first Vacuum-Fil pens are 5 inches long and came in Black and this Marine Green, model V6H, and sold for $2.85, with a $1.65 matching pencil, but $3.95 in a set.  Dealers were encouraged to compare the pen to ones costing $5 and labeled the pens at that price and the set for $6.65.  The Sheaffer name does not appear on the pen.  The gold plated clip, barrel imprint and unhallmarked gold nib all are stamped Vacuum-Fil.  This pen came with a replacement 14 karat gold nib.

Anyone want to share their Vacuum-Fil branded pens?

VacuumFil_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

this looks so awesome.

vaibhav mehandiratta                               

architect & fountain pen connoisseur 

wordpress blog | instagram | twitter

#5 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 20:52

This is a Sheaffer Vac-Fill that I bought for my daughter. But it has a plain clip.

fpn_1511729485__sheaffer_vac-fill__008s.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#6 PenHero

PenHero

Sheaffer Collector

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,533 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 20:55

This is a Sheaffer Vac-Fill that I bought for my daughter. But it has a plain clip.

fpn_1511729485__sheaffer_vac-fill__008s.

Your pen is a Sheaffer branded pen. Very nice. This thread is about the Sheaffer Vacuum-Fil sub brand. Those pens don’t say Sheaffer or have White Dots.

Thanks!

#7 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 November 2017 - 22:54

Oops!

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#8 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,056 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 11:21

My little tortoise balance just lost its suction the other day when I was cleaning it out. I think the cork ring got stuck down the bottom. Not sure if anyone can fix it here and don't really want to send it to the States. They are so fragile too; even the teeny weeniest crack will scupper the whole pen.

No cork in these pens.  The original seal in the packing unit was made of alternating layers of rubber and grease impregnated felt.  The forward end of the plunger rod was a disc made of graphite impregnated rubber.  The original WASP plunger fillers like the one shown in Jim's picture, especially the OS version,  are a bit more complicated to repair than the later ones.   You can't just drill out the inside end and pop in an 0-ring and retaining washer.  A bit of lathe work is needed.  They also have a larger diameter plunger rod.   Sheaffer simplified the design, going with a standard diameter for the packing unit washers, and for the plunger rod, though there are several different rod lengths depending on the size of the pen.  Jim''s pen has the standard diameter rod.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Sponsored Content

|