Sheaffer Vacuum-Fil And Vaccum Sub-Brand Pens

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Vacuum-Fil Marine Green c1934. Vacuum-Fil was a new sub-brand for Sheaffer, introduced in 1934 and featuring a new single stroke plunger filling system before it was applied to Sheaffer branded pens. The first Vacuum-Fil pens are 5 inches long and came in Black and this Marine Green, model V6H, and sold for $2.85, with a $1.65 matching pencil, but $3.95 in a set. Dealers were encouraged to compare the pen to ones costing $5 and labeled the pens at that price and the set for $6.65. The Sheaffer name does not appear on the pen. The gold plated clip, barrel imprint and unhallmarked gold nib all are stamped Vacuum-Fil. This pen came with a replacement 14 karat gold nib.
Anyone want to share their Vacuum-Fil branded pens?
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/VacuumFil_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• gmberg

• georges zaslavsky

• mitto

:crybaby:

My little tortoise balance just lost its suction the other day when I was cleaning it out. I think the cork ring got stuck down the bottom. Not sure if anyone can fix it here and don't really want to send it to the States. They are so fragile too; even the teeny weeniest crack will scupper the whole pen.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Vacuum-Fil lever-fill pen in red marble celluloid c. 1935. Vacuum-Fil was a sub-brand for Sheaffer, introduced in 1934 and featuring a new single stroke plunger filling system before it was applied to Sheaffer branded pens. After introduction, Sheaffer treated Vacuum-Fil as a sub-brand and introduced lever fill models, such as this 4 5/8 inch long junior size pen. The Sheaffer name does not appear on the pen. The gold plated clip, barrel imprint and unhallmarked gold Number 3 nib all are stamped Vacuum-Fil.

I always thought the Vacuum-Fil pens as a brand were interesting. Lets see some more examples!

post-225-0-55227200-1511700295_thumb.jpeg

Thanks!

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Vacuum-Fil Marine Green c1934. Vacuum-Fil was a new sub-brand for Sheaffer, introduced in 1934 and featuring a new single stroke plunger filling system before it was applied to Sheaffer branded pens. The first Vacuum-Fil pens are 5 inches long and came in Black and this Marine Green, model V6H, and sold for $2.85, with a $1.65 matching pencil, but $3.95 in a set. Dealers were encouraged to compare the pen to ones costing $5 and labeled the pens at that price and the set for $6.65. The Sheaffer name does not appear on the pen. The gold plated clip, barrel imprint and unhallmarked gold nib all are stamped Vacuum-Fil. This pen came with a replacement 14 karat gold nib.
Anyone want to share their Vacuum-Fil branded pens?
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/VacuumFil_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

this looks so awesome.

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter

My little tortoise balance just lost its suction the other day when I was cleaning it out. I think the cork ring got stuck down the bottom. Not sure if anyone can fix it here and don't really want to send it to the States. They are so fragile too; even the teeny weeniest crack will scupper the whole pen.

No cork in these pens. The original seal in the packing unit was made of alternating layers of rubber and grease impregnated felt. The forward end of the plunger rod was a disc made of graphite impregnated rubber. The original WASP plunger fillers like the one shown in Jim's picture, especially the OS version, are a bit more complicated to repair than the later ones. You can't just drill out the inside end and pop in an 0-ring and retaining washer. A bit of lathe work is needed. They also have a larger diameter plunger rod. Sheaffer simplified the design, going with a standard diameter for the packing unit washers, and for the plunger rod, though there are several different rod lengths depending on the size of the pen. Jim''s pen has the standard diameter rod.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a comparison between a couple of earlier OS [sheaffer] "Vacuum-fils" on the right, and a Sheaffer demonstrator from the same period, mid-1930s, on the left. The early vacuum-fils with clear centers were not meant to be demonstrators; they were part of the standard retail line. The Sheaffer on the left, however, was meant as a demonstrator and does not appear in any retail catalogue.

Also note the different plunger rods. The early Vacuum-fils had a thicker rod (originally coated in BHR) and had a large brass knob on the rod's end a a blind cap which floats free (way too free IMHO!). On the Sheaffer, the rod is coated and thin and the blind cap is securely attached to it.

YaFVoYD.jpg

gAlXTkz.jpg

The Sheaffer (left) has a coated thin rod and attached blind cap, The Vacuum-fil (middle) has a thick rod and large knob. The Vacuum-fil (right) has a thin rod and a large knob.

6w5wag8.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Vacuum brand fountain pen in black c. 1935-1936. Vacuum-Fil was a Sheaffer sub-brand introduced in 1934 and the pens featured a new single stroke plunger filling system before it was applied to Sheaffer branded pens. This 4 15/16 inch long pen is interesting because of the following: it is a lever fill pen, not a plunger type, the barrel is stamped VACUUM with no other maker markings on the pen, and the nib is an unhallmarked two-tone palladium or platinum plated gold nib stamped VACUUM over MADE IN U.S.A. The nib is the same shape as the Sheaffer Feathertouch nib, but the plating is reversed with the tines staying gold and the bottom plated. Early Vacuum-Fil pens from 1934 have VACUUM-FIL stamped on the ball end clip. Sheaffer switched to flat ball end decorated and plain clips afterward, possibly 1935-1936.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WaspVacuumFil_1280_07a.jpg
Edited by PenHero
correction on brand name and added thread name

• 2 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Vacuum brand fountain pen in black c. 1935-1936. Vacuum-Fil was a Sheaffer sub-brand introduced in 1934 and the pens featured a new single stroke plunger filling system before it was applied to Sheaffer branded pens. This 5 inch long pen is interesting because of the following: it is a lever fill pen, not a plunger type, the barrel is stamped VACUUM with no other maker markings on the pen, and the nib is an unhallmarked two-tone palladium or platinum plated gold nib stamped VACUUM over MADE IN U.S.A. The nib is the same shape as the Sheaffer Feathertouch nib, but the plating is reversed with the tines staying gold and the bottom plated. Early Vacuum-Fil pens from 1934 have VACUUM-FIL stamped on the ball end clip. Sheaffer switched to flat ball end decorated and plain clips afterward, possibly 1935-1936.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WaspVacuumFil_1280_09.jpg

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Vacuum-Fil lever-fill pen in grey and black striped celluloid in a spiral pattern c. 1935. Vacuum-Fil was a sub-brand for Sheaffer, introduced in 1934 and featuring a new single stroke plunger filling system before it was applied to Sheaffer branded pens. After introduction, Sheaffer treated Vacuum-Fil as a sub-brand and introduced lever fill models, such as this 4 3/4 inch long junior size pen. The Sheaffer name does not appear on the pen. The barrel imprint reads VACUUM-FIL over FT. MADISON, IA. U.S.A. The gold plated clip is stamped VACUUM-FIL. The gold nib is stamped WASP over MADE IN U.S.A. over 2. WASP was also a Sheaffer sub-brand, an acronym for W. A. Sheaffer Pen.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/WaspVacuumFilGreySpiral_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

some very nice pens. thanks for sharing :thumbup:

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

• 2 years later...

Hi ! 

My new Vac Fill set ! 

with a Vacuum Fill nib that writes both ways

IMG_3773.JPEG

IMG_3774.JPEG

edit : the rod !

IMG_3778.jpeg

Edited by ThePenHolder
added picture