Help Finding A Cap For A 52

mariom

Hi there

Can anyone help me source a cap for a full size 52, preferably in Melbourne, Australia. Condition isn't critical as long as it's not cracked, and either clipped or clipless is fine.

I'm happy to pay a fair price, but ideally would like to make sure it fits before completing the deal. I have two 52s and the caps are interchangeable, but I don't know how common this is.

Thanks

=====================================
Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Left FPN

• mariom

• MercianScribe

• benbot517

Five star pens have a few is stock right now. I've bought from them before and been very satisfied with the service.

"Oh deer."

Five star pens have a few is stock right now. I've bought from them before and been very satisfied with the service.

Thanks Benbot.

I had a look, and the few they have would cost me more than I paid for the pen! Makes me think I might be able to live with the cracked cap I have!

Mario Mirabile
Melbourne, Australia

www.miralightimaging.com

Parts for these old pens are hard to find and when found they are expensive. The part sellers know this fact. Finding one that has the suitable replacement part has a queue of buyers/bidders waiting to snap it up...including the part sellers. There is an ebayer in the USA who regularly lists parts but they are expensive and I have found he/she does not answer questions which is not helpful.

Not that I regularly buy the older pens but I no longer seriously consider those that are missing parts or damaged cos I know I don't stand a cat in hells chance of repairing them.

Yes, that page is really expensive for a lot of things but I suppose that's the joy of a demand-driven market. I remember I wasn't even going to bookmark that one though, as I was wondering about a 52 cap for my 12 (it has an original cap but not robust enough for taking out and about), but it cost more than my pen!

On the other hand, sometimes you can really luck out on eBay. I got a Watermans 352 Dauntless minus its pressure bar and nib as a holder for a lovely older Ideal nib, all for about $3.50!

Edited by MercianScribe

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

Just as an extra little point, after another wee look at that Five Star Pens site, he's selling one of his caps for $100, that he reckons can be cleaned with 20-30 mins work. For $100 I'd've thought he could've cleaned it for you!

Hi, I'm Mat

:)

Akin to eBay listings where they say 'easy to fix'. So why don't they fix it.

Easy for others. Not for themselves. :)

Khan M. Ilyas

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve cannibalized a few pens in the cause of making one of my little friends complete. Right now I’m waiting for a busted-up Parker with a blind cap that I need (I blame the cat for the old one’s disappearance).

And every so often a ruined pen will still have a brilliant nib. Vintage pens bring out some character defects, I’m afraid.