Durability Of Logo On Cap?

chromantic

I was curious about the durability of the logo on the cap and whether it will eventually rub off. I seem to recall seeing pictures of older caps (the ones where the logo is etched into the resin and paint fills the grooves) where some of the paint is gone but I'm more interested in the newer pens where the logo just seems to be painted or silk-screened on. I noticed myself, when clipping the pen in my shirt pocket, of using a three-finger grasp to push it about half-way down and then pushing on the logo to fully seat it so I'm trying consciously now to move my fingertip forward to push down on the top of the clip instead.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chromantic

• Garageboy

• Calabria

• sirgilbert357

I have had pens with that type of logo from the late 90s that showed heavy signs of use. Micro scratches, lost plating on the nib, brassing on the trim. Despite all of that, the logo was fully intact. This is just anecdotal evidence of course. I probably have 80+ Pelikan pens with that type of logo and none of them show any significant wear to the logo. This is generally not an issue that I worry about.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

I have been wondering the same thing. I have an early M1000 (purchased used for $350 a year or two ago) and it has a scratch in the cap logo. The M200 I have also had a similar logo (being printed on). I was actually wondering about how durable the current/modern logo is (with its frosty and smooth logo) because it would seem to me easy to wear off the matte portions. Im not too worried about the logo on the M101N as it is etched in as you say, but not filled with anything as the vintage logos are.

My experience would suggest that the silk screened logo is indestructible, while the newer "frosted" and apparently metal/plated version may brass or otherwise show the same wear and tear as the plated furniture

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Thanks, I feel reassured. I will still try to avoid rubbing my finger across the logo, just in case.

It's hard work to tell which is Old Harry when everybody's got boots on.

• 2 weeks later...

My newer M1000 has a bright spot from something rubbing across the frosting

Also is darkening, for some reason - I kinda like it

My experience would suggest that the silk screened logo is indestructible, while the newer "frosted" and apparently metal/plated version may brass or otherwise show the same wear and tear as the plated furniture

I don't follow...anything that will be abrasive enough to wear away metal should easily wear plastic/silk screened paint. How one handles the pen is the main variable it seems. If you expose that part of the pen to wear and tear, it will eventually show the use. For the record, I've seen plenty of Pelikans in bins at pen shows that showed wear to the logo...they are usually pretty well used, but still...