I Hate Dot Grid Ruling!

Conan the Grammarian

Really, i can't stand it. The dots don't form a nice line on which to write. They're hard to see when writing; when drawing, they're okay.

And the worst part is that most manufacturers are opting for dot grid instead of regular grid. Please stop doing that. I like regular grid paper for note-taking and even journaling. I can write on it, draw on it, and doodle when bored. I like using the grids to mark indents for note-taking, for organizing notes under headers and main subjects. Lined paper doesn't give you indent markers for subordinate notes.

I may be a minority of one here, but it had to be said. I hate dot grid.

Edited by Conan the Grammarian

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bookman

• Diderot

• Astronymus

• PaganArcher

I feel lost with the dots too.. (Glad the CtG admitted it first)

If it works for you, whitelines still has grid... in engineering pad form too.

The soft grey isn't everyone's cup of tea, but is two side usable, doesn't cost a days wage, and the app is fun/useful.

edited to include, lines that distract were the original basis for WL's development. Now personally working with/around a focus issue, I better understand perception difficulties. Perhaps it was subtly there before, and why the concept appealed to me??? IDK,.. but the paper now made here (PA) is leaps above the earlier version.

I'd be glad to send a few sample sheets if you've not ruled them out already.

Edited by pen2paper

I personally hate any form of ruling on my pages. Especially large ruled (7mm+) lines. But, carrying a guide sheet for blank pages to keep my lines fairly straight is a right pain. For me, dot grid is the lesser evil. On a full page of text, it vanishes.

Really, i can't stand it. The dots don't form a nice line on which to write. They're hard to see when writing; when drawing, they're okay.

And the worst part is that most manufacturers are opting for dot grid instead of regular grid. Please stop doing that. I like regular grid paper for note-taking and even journaling. I can write on it, draw on it, and doodle when bored. I like using the grids to mark indents for note-taking, for organizing notes under headers and main subjects. Lined paper doesn't give you indent markers for subordinate notes.

I may be a minority of one here, but it had to be said. I hate dot grid.

I'll take 'em! ;)

What I DON'T like is any lines or grids that are too dark, too pronounced. Ick.

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

Neither do I like the dot grid. I benefit little from the intended guidance, and it obscures my punctuation.

I, also, dislike that people use "they", "their", and "them" as singular pronouns. "Loan" is not a verb. "Pleaded" is not a word ! I invested considerable effort in learning English. I is disappointing that so few people speak it. :angry: I, also, dislike ranting. :rolleyes:

S.R.P.I.D.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

I personally hate any form of ruling on my pages. Especially large ruled (7mm+) lines. But, carrying a guide sheet for blank pages to keep my lines fairly straight is a right pain. For me, dot grid is the lesser evil. On a full page of text, it vanishes.

Co-signing this, plus I do not like gridded paper for anything except scaled drawing. I do use a guide sheet for blank pages, not that is stops my writing from wandering up and down. In that respect dot grids and I get along well; I have a general guide to about where I am supposed to write without any lines to be too strict about it. :)

X

O Hyborian scholar, you may be in the minority, but you do not stand alone. I really don't like dot-grid either.

Ah, the tyranny of other people's rulings.

+1 for plain paper (or faint dot grid second best)

Will work for pens... :unsure:

Add me to those who dislike dot grid; and I don't care for graph paper, either. Seems to me these are best suited to engineering drafts and such. For writing, lines with spacing appropriate to one's writing, or no lines, with a guide sheet underneath, suit me much better.

It's my least favorite. However, I wouldn't go so far as to hate it. I just don't use it. I presume there are others who like it, so I'm okay with it existing.

I've used them all, and prefer grid, especially a lightly ruled grid. I like to indent, I do some drawing (really line sketches) for work. Grid works best for me.

Right now, I am really enjoying Midori MD notebooks with the light grid. The paper is very nice especially for fountain pens, and the grid is understated.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

... manufacturers are opting for dot grid instead of regular grid. Please stop doing that.

Yes -- please stop doing that.

I wouldn’t mind it if it were 7mm. I like writing large, with broad nibs and ounces of ink. The dots and grids I’ve come across are too small and I find myself having to ignore them.

Neither do I like the dot grid. I benefit little from the intended guidance, and it obscures my punctuation.

I, also, dislike that people use "they", "their", and "them" as singular pronouns. "Loan" is not a verb. "Pleaded" is not a word ! I invested considerable effort in learning English. I is disappointing that so few people speak it. :angry: I, also, dislike ranting. :rolleyes:

S.R.P.I.D.

From Merriam-Webster:

loan vs. lend

The verb loan is one of the words English settlers brought to America and continued to use after it had died out in Britain. Its use was soon noticed by British visitors and somewhat later by the New England literati, who considered it a bit provincial. It was flatly declared wrong in 1870 by a popular commentator, who based his objection on etymology. A later scholar showed that the commentator was ignorant of Old English and thus unsound in his objection, but by then it was too late, as the condemnation had been picked up by many other commentators. Although a surprising number of critics still voice objections, loan is entirely standard as a verb. You should note that it is used only literally; lend is the verb used for figurative expressions, such as "lending a hand" or "lending enchantment."

For Pleaded, see here.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

I Hate Dot Grid Ruling!

OK.

Personally....don't use 'em...........

Fred

back to the cannolis and hot black coffee with a shot of Tesseron lot 53 XO............................

I printed out some dot-grid to see what it was like, and I didn't like it at all. And I REALLY don't like graph paper at all. I've been a college-ruled guy for decades, and I still use it for studying, taking notes, writing exercises, etc. But a couple years ago I decided to leap into the ocean of unlined-ness, and to my surprise, my lines stayed fairly straight and neat, even without a guide sheet. Unlined rules! (Did I really just say that?)

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick. --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

I don't like being wrong, either ! I will offer penance by writing with a (gasp!) ballpoint pen for an hour. If my wife reads this, I'll never hear the end of it. Please don't tell on me.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !