The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

I Hate Dot Grid Ruling!

dot grid ruling grid lined

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#1 Conan the Grammarian

Conan the Grammarian

Conan the Grammarian

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 215 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 15:19

Really, i can't stand it.   The dots don't form a nice line on which to write.  They're hard to see when writing; when drawing, they're okay.

And the worst part is that most manufacturers are opting for dot grid instead of regular grid.  Please stop doing that.  I like regular grid paper for note-taking and even journaling.  I can write on it, draw on it, and doodle when bored.  I like using the grids to mark indents for note-taking, for organizing notes under headers and main subjects.  Lined paper doesn't give you indent markers for subordinate notes.

I may be a minority of one here, but it had to be said.  I hate dot grid.

Edited by Conan the Grammarian, 01 October 2017 - 15:20.

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [I think therefore I yam.]

Sponsored Content

#2 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 15:39

I feel lost with the dots too.. (Glad the CtG admitted it first)

If it works for you, whitelines still has grid... in engineering pad form too.

The soft grey isn't everyone's cup of tea, but is two side usable, doesn't cost a days wage, and the app is fun/useful.

edited to include, lines that distract were the original basis for WL's development.  Now personally working with/around a focus issue, I better understand perception difficulties. Perhaps it was subtly there before, and why the concept appealed to me??? IDK,.. but the paper now made here (PA) is leaps above the earlier version. 

I'd be glad to send a few sample sheets if you've not ruled them out already.

Edited by pen2paper, 01 October 2017 - 15:51.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#3 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 17:05

Not a fan of dot pads either.  Really like Rhodia Ice Pads in 5mm grid.

https://www.jetpens....Rhodia Ice Pads

#4 macaddicted

macaddicted

Collectors Item

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 17:36

I love them. I do, however, hate lined notebooks.

#5 DriftingSands

DriftingSands

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 841 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 18:03

I personally hate any form of ruling on my pages. Especially large ruled (7mm+) lines. But, carrying a guide sheet for blank pages to keep my lines fairly straight is a right pain. For me, dot grid is the lesser evil. On a full page of text, it vanishes.

#6 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• 8,246 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 18:33

Really, i can't stand it.   The dots don't form a nice line on which to write.  They're hard to see when writing; when drawing, they're okay.

And the worst part is that most manufacturers are opting for dot grid instead of regular grid.  Please stop doing that.  I like regular grid paper for note-taking and even journaling.  I can write on it, draw on it, and doodle when bored.  I like using the grids to mark indents for note-taking, for organizing notes under headers and main subjects.  Lined paper doesn't give you indent markers for subordinate notes.

I may be a minority of one here, but it had to be said.  I hate dot grid.

I'll take 'em! ;)

What I DON'T like is any lines or grids that are too dark, too pronounced. Ick.

#7 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 18:42

Neither do I like the dot grid.  I benefit little from the intended guidance, and it obscures my punctuation. 

I, also, dislike that people use "they", "their", and "them" as singular pronouns.  "Loan" is not a verb.  "Pleaded" is not a word !  I invested considerable effort in learning English.  I is disappointing that so few people speak it. :angry:  I, also, dislike  ranting.   :rolleyes:   

S.R.P.I.D. 

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

#8 Astron

Astron

Ex astris scientia.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 19:39

Haven't had much experience with dotted paper so far.

#9 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 5,318 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 22:05

I personally hate any form of ruling on my pages. Especially large ruled (7mm+) lines. But, carrying a guide sheet for blank pages to keep my lines fairly straight is a right pain. For me, dot grid is the lesser evil. On a full page of text, it vanishes.

Co-signing this, plus I do not like gridded paper for anything except scaled drawing. I do use a guide sheet for blank pages, not that is stops my writing from wandering up and down. In that respect dot grids and I get along well; I have a general guide to about where I am supposed to write without any lines  to be too strict about it. :)

When you receive new information you can change your mind, or you can close it; or you can try shooting the messenger.

#10 thudthwacker

thudthwacker

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 22:52

O Hyborian scholar, you may be in the minority, but you do not stand alone.  I really don't like dot-grid either.

#11 AmandaW

AmandaW

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 23:30

Ah, the tyranny of other people's rulings.

+1 for plain paper (or faint dot grid second best)

It's all about the greys...

#12 abstract49

abstract49

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 23:35

Add me to those who dislike dot grid; and I don't care for graph paper, either. Seems to me these are best suited to engineering drafts and such. For writing, lines with spacing appropriate to one's writing, or no lines, with a guide sheet underneath, suit me much better.

#13 vjones

vjones

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 23:37

It's my least favorite.  However, I wouldn't go so far as to hate it.  I just don't use it.  I presume there are others who like it, so I'm okay with it existing.  

#14 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 23:46

I've used them all, and prefer grid, especially a lightly ruled grid.  I like to indent, I do some drawing (really line sketches) for work.  Grid works best for me.  

Right now, I am really enjoying Midori MD notebooks with the light grid.  The paper is very nice especially for fountain pens, and the grid is understated.  

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#15 mwpannell

mwpannell

Who? What?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2017 - 00:01

... manufacturers are opting for dot grid instead of regular grid.  Please stop doing that.

Yes -- please stop doing that.

#16 TennesseeTrash

TennesseeTrash

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2017 - 00:16

I wouldn’t mind it if it were 7mm. I like writing large, with broad nibs and ounces of ink. The dots and grids I’ve come across are too small and I find myself having to ignore them.

#17 Lloyd

Lloyd

Can a nib be smoothed by psychokinesis?

• Member - Gold

• 6,378 posts
  • Location:Trapped inside of a snowglobe that is resting upon a mantel in a home in Massachusetts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 01:09

Neither do I like the dot grid.  I benefit little from the intended guidance, and it obscures my punctuation. 

I, also, dislike that people use "they", "their", and "them" as singular pronouns.  "Loan" is not a verb.  "Pleaded" is not a word !  I invested considerable effort in learning English.  I is disappointing that so few people speak it. :angry:  I, also, dislike  ranting.   :rolleyes:   

S.R.P.I.D. 

From Merriam-Webster:

loan vs. lend

The verb loan is one of the words English settlers brought to America and continued to use after it had died out in Britain. Its use was soon noticed by British visitors and somewhat later by the New England literati, who considered it a bit provincial. It was flatly declared wrong in 1870 by a popular commentator, who based his objection on etymology. A later scholar showed that the commentator was ignorant of Old English and thus unsound in his objection, but by then it was too late, as the condemnation had been picked up by many other commentators. Although a surprising number of critics still voice objections, loan is entirely standard as a verb. You should note that it is used only literally; lend is the verb used for figurative expressions, such as "lending a hand" or "lending enchantment."

For Pleaded, see here.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."
Oscar Wilde

#18 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,566 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2017 - 02:54

I Hate Dot Grid Ruling!

OK.

Personally....don't use 'em...........

Fred
back to the cannolis and hot black coffee with a shot of  Tesseron lot 53 XO............................

#19 DaveBj

DaveBj

Viking Pen Wielder

• Member - Gold

• 807 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2017 - 13:53

I printed out some dot-grid to see what it was like, and I didn't like it at all.  And I REALLY don't like graph paper at all.  I've been a college-ruled guy for decades, and I still use it for studying, taking notes, writing exercises, etc.  But a couple years ago I decided to leap into the ocean of unlined-ness, and to my surprise, my lines stayed fairly straight and neat, even without a guide sheet.  Unlined rules!  (Did I really just say that?)

Until you ink a pen, it is merely a pretty stick.  --UK Mike

My arsenal, in order of acquisition: Sailor 21 Pocket Pen M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger True Writer M, Jinhao 159 M, Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1 stub, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsity M disposables refillables, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Noodler's Ahab 1.1 stub, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M (fake Starwalker), Hero 616 M (fake Parker), Jinhao X750 Shimmering Sands M . . .

31 and counting :D

DaveBj

#20 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2017 - 17:28

I don't like being wrong, either !  I will offer penance by writing with a (gasp!) ballpoint pen for an hour.  If my wife reads this, I'll never hear the end of it.  Please don't tell on me.

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dot grid, ruling, grid, lined

Sponsored Content

|