The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

A Couple Of '62S

l205/62 l245/62

2 replies to this topic

#1 Cob

Cob

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,477 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 16:45

I am now - for the time being anyway - the proud owner of two Leverlesses in my favourite Mabie Todd material, the 62.

I have had the L245 for a while (and it will most likely stay) but the L205 arrived yesterday.  Note that it has the later type clip fitting - underneath the cap screw - and also that the clip itself is the uncommon rounded form.

fpn_1506703391__3.jpg

fpn_1506703418__1.jpg

Cob

Edited by Cob, 29 September 2017 - 16:46.

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• 976 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 21:52

This is one of those patterns that is stunning in person, but at times hard to show well in photos.

Does there seem to be a short/well-defined time frame where the clip style changed?  I think this is the first  time I have seen the later clip on this color/model.

I have a Leverless "set" in a different pattern with a pen with the rounded clip, and a Fyne Point matching pencil with the older style clip, but no way to be sure that they were born as a set.

#3 PaulS

PaulS

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 915 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2017 - 15:10

Agree, this 62 colourway isn't easy to photograph, but I think Cob's pix are a good effort  -  if I had a criticism, and it applies also to the picture I've attached, is that the aventurine sparkle of the dark gold and the silver pearl are a little camera shy - they try their best not to play ball - but the burgundy looks good.

I've attached a picture of my pen simply as an example of an L245B with an accommodation clip , so might possibly be of interest.         Unfortunately, whatever the coating was on my clip, originally, has now mostly worn away  -  looks to have been some ultra thin base metal sort of plating.

The bracelet part of my clip lacks any wording, and although it's very worn it's possible it did originally carry the swan logo - anyway, something looks to have been there.

I have Swan accommodation clips on other Swan pens ...............   one appears to be 14 ct. plated example and reads  SWAN CLIP  -  MADE IN U.S.A.,  -  another reads SWAN CLIP - ENGLAND and is a base metal example. 

All three of these accommodation clips are similar but of a different design/size, and they're all ball-ended clips.  

There is a fourth ball-ended Swan accommodation clip I have which carries the wording 'SWAN CLIP - MADE IN ENGLAND' - Rd. No. 676026 -

I could be wrong but it doesn't appear to have been stamped with the Swan logo.               Looking at the British Board of Trade data for dates for these Registered Designs, this one almost certainly corresponds to a date some time during April 1920.

Coming back to the pens posted here, I especially like the splined/fluted pattern on the centre cap ring which matches the pattern on the cap screw.

My cap carries the word "SWAN"  -  the blind screw on the barrel shows L245B over 62  -  the section shows the imprint L2B - the nib is a No. 2.

P.S.   sorry, can't seem to upload picture, so have posted above text and will add picture as soon as possible.

Edited by PaulS, 30 September 2017 - 16:11.

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|