The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Pelikan 805 Ocean Swirl

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#41 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 17:48

I'm not going to get this pen but I get vicarious pleasure from all the excitement in these posts!

I agree that these postings get the juices flowing. It’s easy to get caught up in the excitement of the moment.

By the way, i’m not proud. Sometimes I make mistakes. I’ve placed and cancelled orders, only to reorder with the proper discount code. It’s no big thing.

Sponsored Content

#42 ian1964

ian1964

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 October 2017 - 23:26

There is no rush to buy people. It's amazing how many of these "special" Pelikan pens make their way onto Massdrop eventually. But in all sincerity, I applaud Pelikan for the way they foster a buying frenzy for each new design.

#43 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2017 - 14:57

There is no rush to buy people. It's amazing how many of these "special" Pelikan pens make their way onto Massdrop eventually. But in all sincerity, I applaud Pelikan for the way they foster a buying frenzy for each new design.

cough.. Lamy Petrol ..cough

:rolleyes:

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

SNAIL MAIL EXCHANGE or a postcard perhaps?

#44 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2017 - 18:24

Here is a side by side of the pic posted at the top of this thread on the left and the one I've seen on Instagram, a blog, and 3 different vendor sites on the right.  

I'm hoping the color is blue rather than green.  

fpn_1506719895__which_is_it.jpg

Assuming the correct color of the instrument in the background's face is white, then the picture on the left shows a slight color cast that also affects the pen, while the right hand picture shows a more neutral white face, suggesting that picture is closer to accurate.

#45 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 October 2017 - 14:20

Assuming the correct color of the instrument in the background's face is white, then the picture on the left shows a slight color cast that also affects the pen, while the right hand picture shows a more neutral white face, suggesting that picture is closer to accurate.

Keep in mind it is very easy to heavily modify just the pen colors and only slightly modify the rest of the picture's colors. And all of that can be adjusted independent of the white balance. While I generally agree with the point you make, we have to be careful with our expectations based on these kinds of product shots. This kind of photoshopping is very frustrating because it creates so much uncertainty. I've been close to canceling my order a couple of times already actually...

And we've only been talking about the color. I'm sure the saturation has been jacked up (especially on the greener one!), and I'm betting the brightness and contrast have all been tampered with too...I'm hoping some real world photos come out before my order is processed so I can cancel if I end up not liking it.

#46 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,013 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 22:57

Whenever you buy something there's a risk the product could be found cheaper if you wait a little longer. I don't remember what the Renaissance Brown sold for when it was first released but I do remember a few good deals popping up. Generally products are at their most expensive when first released and slowly drop in price as demand drops. This is a special edition pen so I think Pelikan will produce it for a fixed amount of time instead producing a fixed quantity. I'm not sure how long the production run for Pelikan's SE are but I'm betting about six months and then another few months for remaining inventory to clear the distribution channels. 

Generally the products that go up in price the longer they're available are very popular limited editions where there aren't enough for every one who wants one to get one. There are usually enough SEs produced for anyone to get one during the production cycle plus a few extra that get sold off at a discount once discontinued. I know the M800 Brown Tortoise SE value has gone up since production ended but I think that's because the market for high-end fountain pens increased since 2012. 

I've recently seen a Renaissance Brown listed for between $415 which is a bit cheaper than what the Ocean Swirl is selling for now. 

FPGeeks has a like new Renaissance Brown now listed for $400. 

#47 Cipolla18

Cipolla18

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 13:09

It's goooooooorgeous!!! Maybe this one could be the first Pelikan in my collection :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

#48 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 13:26

It's goooooooorgeous!!! Maybe this one could be the first Pelikan in my collection :thumbup:  :thumbup:  :thumbup:

You won't be sorry.

:W2FPN:

#49 requiescat

requiescat

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 October 2017 - 15:46

I too thought I didn't need any more Pelikans (I have an M200 clear demonstrator and M205 Aquamarine demonstrator) but if this is the bluish color to the right rather than the greenish one to the left, I covet it.  :)

#50 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 17:30

Beware! Gateway Pelikan....

#51 LanceSaintPaul

LanceSaintPaul

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 October 2017 - 17:41

Keep in mind it is very easy to heavily modify just the pen colors and only slightly modify the rest of the picture's colors. And all of that can be adjusted independent of the white balance. While I generally agree with the point you make, we have to be careful with our expectations based on these kinds of product shots. This kind of photoshopping is very frustrating because it creates so much uncertainty. I've been close to canceling my order a couple of times already actually...

And we've only been talking about the color. I'm sure the saturation has been jacked up (especially on the greener one!), and I'm betting the brightness and contrast have all been tampered with too...I'm hoping some real world photos come out before my order is processed so I can cancel if I end up not liking it.

I think it's a matter of being run through two different systems with different color management schemes. The greener of the 2 shows less detail in the colored bits in the swirl - looks to have driven it out of gamut - that could also be due to a saturation boost, which also may have been induced by the path the file took through different O/S and or different browsers. 

Of course we'd like to see pix taken in the wild, accompanied by verbal descriptions that indicate what might be too subtle to see on screen.

Personally I'd prefer the Renaissance Brown to this - but I certainly like a tropical ocean palette. Additionally when I think of allocating precious resources I prefer vintage over current production, not that I couldn't be tempted - not at all.  

#52 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2017 - 14:53

Just bumping the thread to ask if anyone has any newer pics to share? Still on the fence about this one, even though I've already placed my order...

#53 sav

sav

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 October 2017 - 22:48

Prices on Massdrop are never the lowest.

#54 novelli

novelli

Novelli Pens

• Premium - Ruby

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:36

Hi All,

it looks like the right color will be similar to this:

2147465655.jpg

I will keep you updated on any development.

Marco

Novelli.it

visit us at Novelli.it

#55 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,013 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 13:47

Hi All,

2147465655.jpg

Marco

Novelli.it

I think that's my favorite of the three pictures. Obviously closer to the picture on the right but darker which I like. I may consider this one after all. 

#56 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 18:21

Hi All,

2147465655.jpg

Marco

Novelli.it

Thank you Marco!

#57 oregano

oregano

Fairly Dipped

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 04:01

Wow, it's a stunner. If only they released these M800 special editions in the M600 size as well, I would have my hands full! I've loved so many of them, it's so unfair :( 

#58 minddance

minddance

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:07

When I first saw the Renaissance Brown, I knew I had to get it and I pre-ordered with Appelboom and it has been my daily writer. Medium nib, no less. Super smooth, stubbish qualities and line variations are magnified with some pen rotation.

When I see the ocean swirl, I don't feel the same. Please come up with a forest swirl or dark olive next year. It would be a Broad nib the next pre-order.

#59 Lam1

Lam1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,086 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 16:49

It is interesting to see, here and elsewhere, that many people mention the Renaissance Brown (RB) as one of the best recent models. For some reason which I can't explain (since I love brown pens and have many of them), I can't warm up to the RB. I have it, but consider it the least desirable (to me) of my M800s (even less desirable than my black M805). Go figure! :unsure: The Ocean Swirl, on the other hand, I love.

I didn't warm up to the ink of the year either (and again, brown inks are my favorites) - I think the good old 4001 Brilliant Brown is a much superior ink.

#60 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 876 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 18:55

..snip...

I didn't warm up to the ink of the year either (and again, brown inks are my favorites) - I think the good old 4001 Brilliant Brown is a much superior ink.

Try the Smoky Quartz in an EF or needlepoint on smooth creme paper... Looks just like a letter great grandpa might have written  :P

(I can't write with fat subs and OBBB's  ALL the time   :D )

Sponsored Content

|