The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

New Pelikan 805 Ocean Swirl

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#21 stephenchin

stephenchin

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 01:13

The 'watch' is actually a Wempe barometer, and it appears to be the blue model.  Here's a link to Wempe's site, showing the model looking more baby blue than the teal shown.  So perhaps the pen will be closer to the vibrant blue than to teal:

http://www.wempe-ins...-ii-series.html

check the second model down:  Article number: #CW460002

Barometer with thermometer/hygrometer chrome plated with white clock face and blue frame

Sponsored Content

#22 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2017 - 02:08

Excellent Stephen, thank you very much.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

SNAIL MAIL EXCHANGE or a postcard perhaps?

#23 da vinci

da vinci

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,663 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 19:21

I

it's solid, under the light you may see some trasparency but I would say it's solid

Ok thanks :)

#24 Cliff O

Cliff O

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2017 - 20:28

Here is a side by side of the pic posted at the top of this thread on the left and the one I've seen on Instagram, a blog, and 3 different vendor sites on the right.  

I'm hoping the color is blue rather than green.  

fpn_1506719895__which_is_it.jpg

Thank you!  I reallllly hope it's more like the color on the right too!

#25 jmccarty3

jmccarty3

There is no "c" in Sheaffer

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 3,491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:01

I'm giving this one a pass. Teal is not my color. When I saw the photos of the Renaissance Brown, I knew immediately that I wanted one. Had the opposite reaction to this one.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

#26 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 02:23

I just came from LCdC. They show a pre-release price of 433. € which wiki just converted to 511. USD
does this seem right?

#27 BillH

BillH

Not Old Enough...

• Member - Gold

• 868 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 03:10

The exchange rate is quite a bit worse for the USD than it was 4 or 5 months ago.  

Edited by BillH, 01 October 2017 - 03:14.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working."     -Pablo Picasso

SNAIL MAIL EXCHANGE or a postcard perhaps?

#28 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,011 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:12

I just came from LCdC. They show a pre-release price of 433. which wiki just converted to 511. USD
does this seem right?

Was that with VAT? The price seems reasonable for a new release SE M800. Prices will come down a bit after a few months. I normally see SE around $450 near the end of their lifecycle. Better deals are possible but less predictable.

#29 seahunter

seahunter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:48

I was expecting more blue too but it's hard to tell what color the pen will be (though definitely not blue). Some of these pictures are very teal, but the one with the pen on the watch is very green. I imagine the teal is closer to what we should expect which is unfortunate because I like the green more. I'll wait around for a review or two before making a decision. 

I would think that since Vibrant Blue was so recent, they might think it was too soon to do another blue color scheme, but it's hard to say.  I think the "green" photo has had a lot of adjusting, and the "blue" photo is most likely closer to the actual color.

Edited by seahunter, 01 October 2017 - 04:58.

#30 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:51

The exchange rate has changed quite a bit. If this keeps up it will kill the advantage of buying over there. I think we’re getting trumped.

#31 Old Salt

Old Salt

Old Salt

• Premium - Emerald

• 1,433 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:53

Was that with VAT? The price seems reasonable for a new release SE M800. Prices will come down a bit after a few months. I normally see SE around $450 near the end of their lifecycle. Better deals are possible but less predictable.

No, not with VAT. exchange rates are moving in the wrong direction relative to the dollar.

#32 Lam1

Lam1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,083 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:15

I just came from LCdC. They show a pre-release price of 433. € which wiki just converted to 511. USD
does this seem right?

LCdC has a coupon code for 20% off this weekend and the price is a lot more attractive than $511 (even with the murderous rates of PayPal...). 

#33 invisuu

invisuu

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:07

LCdC has a coupon code for 20% off this weekend and the price is a lot more attractive than $511 (even with the murderous rates of PayPal...). 

You can change exchange rate in paypal to your bank, when not paying with paypal balance.

#34 BayesianPrior

BayesianPrior

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:24

Anyone know how amenable LCdC would be to cancelling an order and then immediately reordering with the coupon code?

Or alternatively asking them to apply the 20% coupon instead of the 10% coupon I used? :)

#cheapskate

#ashamed

bayesianprior.png

#35 CeeElle

CeeElle

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:56

Anyone know how amenable LCdC would be to cancelling an order and then immediately reordering with the coupon code?

Or alternatively asking them to apply the 20% coupon instead of the 10% coupon I used? :)

#cheapskate
#ashamed

Why be ashamed? I have asked before in similar situations and they have been more than happy to accomodate it. This is a sign of a retailer interested in the long term and a credit to them.

As for the Pelikan, I will need to see the colour in real life first.

Short cuts make delays, but inns make longer ones.
Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring, A Short Cut to Mushrooms

#36 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 13:09

Isn't that a bit risky though? If you wait to buy one, they could sell out or what little is left can be priced higher since there are so few. The Ren. Brown is higher now everywhere I look than what I bought it for as a pre-order. I just paid 460 shipped for the Ocean Swirl...seemed reasonable with the exchange rate. Is it cheaper elsewhere though? The LcDC rate with 20% off seems like it would be cheaper, but I'm not sure how I would pay and if there would be an option to pay in USD with my credit card like with Appelboom. If I use my card to pay in a foreign currency, they tack on a 3.5% fee. Using it as I did, I'll get 1.5% back in rewards points...

Edited by sirgilbert357, 01 October 2017 - 13:11.

#37 Lam1

Lam1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,083 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 13:17

You can change exchange rate in paypal to your bank, when not paying with paypal balance.

I have learned that from your previous post, thank you. This time I was using PayPal balance - so, still worth it for me. But, this is great info for the future.

#cheapskate
#ashamed

Dennis and his team are fantastic and certainly would understand. Like CeeElle said, no reason to be ashamed.

Edited by Lam1, 01 October 2017 - 20:35.

#38 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• 4,028 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 14:41

If this pen is the blue on the right, it will be hard to resist.  The "blue" on the left doesn't do anything for me.

The USD exchange rate doesn't do much for me either. :(

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#39 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,011 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 15:23

Isn't that a bit risky though? If you wait to buy one, they could sell out or what little is left can be priced higher since there are so few. The Ren. Brown is higher now everywhere I look than what I bought it for as a pre-order. I just paid 460 shipped for the Ocean Swirl...seemed reasonable with the exchange rate. Is it cheaper elsewhere though? The LcDC rate with 20% off seems like it would be cheaper, but I'm not sure how I would pay and if there would be an option to pay in USD with my credit card like with Appelboom. If I use my card to pay in a foreign currency, they tack on a 3.5% fee. Using it as I did, I'll get 1.5% back in rewards points...

Whenever you buy something there's a risk the product could be found cheaper if you wait a little longer. I don't remember what the Renaissance Brown sold for when it was first released but I do remember a few good deals popping up. Generally products are at their most expensive when first released and slowly drop in price as demand drops. This is a special edition pen so I think Pelikan will produce it for a fixed amount of time instead producing a fixed quantity. I'm not sure how long the production run for Pelikan's SE are but I'm betting about six months and then another few months for remaining inventory to clear the distribution channels. 

Generally the products that go up in price the longer they're available are very popular limited editions where there aren't enough for every one who wants one to get one. There are usually enough SEs produced for anyone to get one during the production cycle plus a few extra that get sold off at a discount once discontinued. I know the M800 Brown Tortoise SE value has gone up since production ended but I think that's because the market for high-end fountain pens increased since 2012. 

I've recently seen a Renaissance Brown listed for between $415 which is a bit cheaper than what the Ocean Swirl is selling for now. 

#40 Calabria

Calabria

Pelikano

• Member - Gold

• 1,121 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 16:59

I'm not going to get this pen but I get vicarious pleasure from all the excitement in these posts!
"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."
– Lin Yu-T'ang

Sponsored Content

|