Fpr Guru Questions

AberHulk

I am a newbie and I am looking at the Guru from Fountain Pen Revolution. Mostly because of the sale they have going on. So I have a two part question.

1. How easy is it to crack the pen? I tend to Hulk things I do not mean to it just happens.

2. Can the flex nib be used as an everyday writer. I like fine point nibs.

And how does their fine nib compare to pilots fine nib?

“Some day you will be old enough to start reading fairytales again.”

C.S. Lewis

“Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.”

Frank Herbert, Dune

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AberHulk

• majorworks

• eachan

• 5thhistorian

Someone else can probably give you a more complete and/or better answer. I can't address your first question because I don't have a Guru. However, I did recently acquire a Jaipur with flex nib. I do see it as an EDC writer. It seems to me to lay down a reasonably fine line, although in the Jaipur, at least, it's a very wet line. So depending on the ink/paper combination, the end result might be less fine than you'd like to see.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

Someone else can probably give you a more complete and/or better answer. I can't address your first question because I don't have a Guru. However, I did recently acquire a Jaipur with flex nib. I do see it as an EDC writer. It seems to me to lay down a reasonably fine line, although in the Jaipur, at least, it's a very wet line. So depending on the ink/paper combination, the end result might be less fine than you'd like to see.

How would you rate the Jaipur? How is the fit and finish of the pen?

C.S. Lewis

“Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.”

Frank Herbert, Dune

I like the Jaipur. I've only had it for a couple of weeks and I'm on my second fill. Fit and finish, for the price, is very good. I have the demonstrator because, well, demonstrators. The flex nib is very smooth. It's the first and only flex nib I've ever had, and I chose it because I wanted to try flex. Now I've tried it, and I don't find myself writing real slow and spreading the tines on downstrokes a lot. It's nice to have it but I'm now glad I never spent big bucks on a vintage Waterman or something.

But back to the pen as a whole... I'd recommend it as an everyday writer. It comes apart completely (and easily) for cleaning. One caveat, and maybe you've seen this elsewhere... the demonstrator is made with a vegetal resin. As such, it has an aroma. It's not real strong and it doesn't bother me in the least, but it seems to bother some users. I don't find it to be an unpleasant smell or anything.

Happiness is an Indian ED!

>>1. How easy is it to crack the pen? I tend to Hulk things I do not mean to it just happens.

I'm fairly rough on my pens, and both my Gurus have held up well.

>> 2. Can the flex nib be used as an everyday writer. I like fine point nibs.

I've used the flex as an everyday writer, but I changed over to a Guru with a fine stub nib. I didn't really have a need for flexing everyday.

>> And how does their fine nib compare to pilots fine nib?

I can't find my loupe, but by eye, the Pilot Medium seems about the same size as the FPR fine. You might want to shoot for and EF.

HTH!

I ordered two yesterday. One stub and one flex. I am stoked to get them.

C.S. Lewis

Frank Herbert, Dune

• 1 month later...

I own three and am tempted to buy more whenever they go on sale. They are pretty tough, and I've been able to undo the piston and take them apart to reassemble (you may need to do this in order to ensure the piston travels all the way up in the barrel). One arrived with a hairline crack in the piston knob which has not affected the performance in any way. Its the black version so actually barely noticeable. I often carry them in my pants pocket and because of their firm piston movement and streamline design they ride comfortably. They are my favorite piston fillers, even moreso than my Pelikan M200.

edit: Yes the FPR flex nib is a firm semi flex that works well when used as a conventional fine nib for me.

Edited by 5thhistorian

I've had one for a few months and it has travelled in my bag quite often without suffering any damage. In comparison with my vintage pens, I would hardly really consider it flexible but it's a very nice writer.

Regards,

Eachan

I've had one for a few months and it has travelled in my bag quite often without suffering any damage. In comparison with my vintage pens, I would hardly really consider it flexible but it's a very nice writer.

How would you define flexible?

C.S. Lewis

Frank Herbert, Dune

• 3 weeks later...

Got my Guru via fast USPS delivery in three days at minimal charge. I had it ordered in the flex nib -- in which I find some interesting qualities I have not expected....lwith a response like an EF nib on lettering 1/32" or less in some cases. Flexes to 2mm pretty easily, with little pressure. Like most steel, however, work it oin to smooth flex.

It fills and holds ink cleanly. It is small enough to carry without glumping up my shirt pockets. I have promoted it to every day use -- but will probably switch from Heart of Darkness Ink to X-Feather as a lot of my paperwork is almost on newsprint.

Kevin at FPR is easy to work with and very responsive.

GURU is great.

Edited by Chmara