The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Best Font For Typed Letters?

typing fonts computers

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,217 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 October 2017 - 20:39

I should say that probably not the best for writing letters, but has its place, is University Roman.  When my husband and I got married, I chose less formal cards (floral border with sprays of red-violet flowers) for the invitations and used University Roman Bold in a color ink close to that of the border.

Hey, we didn't use the "standard" wedding music for the ceremony, either ;) : my march down the aisle was to an arrangement of the tune for the old ballad "Willie of Winsbury" and the recessional was Paul Stookey's "The Wedding Song".  Of course several years later I was at a friend's house and suddenly discovered that I was not the first to come up with the idea for WoW to be a great processional -- it's the music in the march down to the sea in the old horror movie The Wicker Man (the original, with Christopher Lee as Lord Summerisle).  :huh: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Sponsored Content

#42 Stef

Stef

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 November 2017 - 13:25

I still miss Lucinda Casual

#43 caefpens

caefpens

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 November 2017 - 12:05

I write a fair number of letters, still, as a lawyer. I have long used Book Antiqua 12 point. It’s a serif font, and a bit wider than Times New Roman, which makes it easier to read. There is a website on typography uses (for lawyers, but it might still be an interesting read) www.typographyforlawyers.com . The author is Matthew Butterick, and he has put a lot of thought into the topic. He has written a book on it, as well.

Caroline

#44 Retro-user

Retro-user

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 November 2017 - 22:28

This looks like a good site. Thanks for recommending.

I write a fair number of letters, still, as a lawyer. I have long used Book Antiqua 12 point. It’s a serif font, and a bit wider than Times New Roman, which makes it easier to read. There is a website on typography uses (for lawyers, but it might still be an interesting read) www.typographyforlawyers.com . The author is Matthew Butterick, and he has put a lot of thought into the topic. He has written a book on it, as well.
Caroline

Sponsored Content

|