New Pelikan M1000 - On The Way! Crazy Price!

TheRealMikeDr

I've lusted after an M1000 for quite some time now. New ones go for just over $800 here in the US - pretty pricey even for a nice pen like the M1000. I had one on the top of my hit list for my trip to the DC Pen Show last Summer but the used ones were going for $500-ish (granted I didn't try to negotiate down) which I may have done had I found an EF or F nib. No go.

Meanwhile a few days ago someone in another post here mentioned that you (people who live in the US) can find NEW Pelikan pens at drastically lower prices from Cult pens in the UK. True enough - this morning I placed an order for a brand new green M1000 for $426. Total. Including shipping from the UK to the US. Total. And - the order is due to arrive on my doorstep on Monday - two business days.

I'm not knocking US retailers - I realize they have their hands tied in this issue (much like the pricing model for Japanese pens) but in this case the pricing difference is DRAMATIC and makes the M1000 much more attainable to people living in the US.

I'll post pics and whatnot next week after she lands. Thanks to all those who post here and the help they offer with their knowledge share!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheRealMikeDr

• Mew

• hh1990

• minddance

Your experience is typical and Im currently writing a post for my site exploring why this may be the case. The more expensive the pen, the bigger the cost savings can be when shopped from overseas. A lot of surprising factors go into this and my research has been very eye opening. Congrats on the M1000. Its a great pen.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

Your experience is typical and Im currently writing a post for my site exploring why this may be the case. The more expensive the pen, the bigger the cost savings can be when shopped from overseas. A lot of surprising factors go into this and my research has been very eye opening. Congrats on the M1000. Its a great pen.

Thanks! I've bookmarked your site and look forward to your post!

You will appreciate Cult Pens. I have received excellent prices and fast service from them in the past. They are one of my collection's main new pen vendors.

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

I just ordered from missing-pens.de and it would have been a little cheeper from Cult Pens. I will keep an eye on them for the future as well.

Im happy I was able to help you get a nice pen at a (more) reasonable price. I hope you get a great performer out of the box.

Edit: I sincerely hope you used your credit card issuers exchange rate, because Paypal is skinning people alive with their exchange rate.

Edited by invisuu

Im happy I was able to help you get a nice pen at a (more) reasonable price. I hope you get a great performer out of the box.

Edit: I sincerely hope you used your credit card issuers exchange rate, because Paypal is skinning people alive with their exchange rate.

Indeed - thank you so much! I did use my credit card - safest way to purchase these things.

That’s not that bad. When I convert with my bank versus paypal, the difference is about 7%. That’s about 30$ on a pen this price!

You don’t have to pay with credit card, you can actually switch exchange rate within paypal itself when not paying with paypal balance. Many people do not know this, so I thought it was worthwhile to point out.

What a coincidence. I ordered and an M1000 from Cultpens earlier this week, and it arrived yesterday. I'd never written with one before and was really surprised at how soft the nib was compared the my M800s, and I am still getting a kick out of how large it is. I like broad nibs, and this one is right near the top of my favorites. Enjoy.

What a coincidence. I ordered and an M1000 from Cultpens earlier this week, and it arrived yesterday. I'd never written with one before and was really surprised at how soft the nib was compared the my M800s, and I am still getting a kick out of how large it is. I like broad nibs, and this one is right near the top of my favorites. Enjoy.

Thanks - that's good to hear!

I've never written with one but have read that the nibs have some spring to them which I like - so I'm anxious to try mine out. I wish they came in blue but I can live happily with the green I guess.

jWz0U4E.jpg

Got the pen yesterday - after tweaking the tines slightly (just a bit out of alignment) she writes very well. Super wet ef nib that puts down a line comparable to most western fine nibs I own. Glad I went with the ef as opposed to the fine nib! The nib reminds me a lot of my Visconti Homo Sapiens - a fairly large nib with some definite spring/bounce to it, and quite wet. Not a pen I would write with at length (it's a big pen) but one I will certainly use and enjoy!

Congrats! It's nice when things work out the way you hoped they would. I know what it's like when waiting for a pen and the nib is not what I hoped it would be, and dealing with a long distance exchange would have sucked.

Nice picture!

Congrats! Just got my first M1000 this year, they are something to behold!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

• 2 weeks later...

Dr. Mike,

You saved me big bucks.

Just ordered my M1000 from Cult pens today. $417!!!! Yes, includes shipping.

Prior to ordering, I checked with my CC company and they said they don't charge for currency exchange.

This is an amazing price. Yesterday received a catalogue from a well-established pen company and their "special" price is $828.

Regards,

George

Edited by george c

https://www.amazon.com/George-Callender/e/B005GSGOR4/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_6?qid=1518394422&sr=8-6

(My little corner at Amazon....)

"May we all have great words flowing out of our pens."

Dr. Mike,

You saved me big bucks.

Just ordered my M1000 from Cult pens today. $417!!!! Yes, includes shipping.

Prior to ordering, I checked with my CC company and they said they don't charge for currency exchange.

This is an amazing price. Yesterday received a catalogue from a well-established pen company and their "special" price is $828.

Regards,

George

It really is an amazing price - the used ones sell for more than that!

Next up I've got a nice blue M600 on my list for roughly $240!

• 4 weeks later...

I bought my two M1000s way back then and they are top quality writers

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

It is a semi-flex nib....don't stress it beyond 3X a light down stroke. It is 18K bending and staying bend much easier than the more robust '50-65 era 14 K semi-flex.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.