Sheaffer Targas

PenHero

Hi, Folks!

If you are not aware, there is a GREAT Sheaffer Targa resource, sheaffertarga.com, that is about as complete a list of that model anywhere. Let's have some fun and show what we have here. I can do a few:

This is a Sheaffer Targa Laque Green Marble fountain pen c1997-1999. This was one of the last Targa models produced, model 1186, and featured a 14 karat gold Inlaid nib. The finish was lacquered and polished 14 times for a deep glow. The trim is 23 karat gold electroplated. The cap top and barrel end is a black laque circle. The Targa is 5 5/16 inches long.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTarga1186LaqueGreenMarble_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• PenHero

• mitto

• Ron Z

• Dr. Saleem Ali

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont have many pens but this slimline Targa is a treasured item.

The finish on the pen is just lovely and the nib has just the right amount of flex, nice and broad too.

The original cartridges are a problem but Waterman Minis fit into the slim barrel.

post-138039-0-54879000-1506594430.jpg

post-138039-0-10770300-1506594443.jpg

Here's a nice silver Targa (a 1004, I think) with a sweet BB stub nib that I received as a gift about ten years ago (which is why my name is engraved on it).

5936180034_401729b6c7_b.jpg

And here's a near-mint brass one that I found on eBay for $40 (yes, with the brass case):

http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll296/penmanila/BrassTarga_zpsc15ah3kg.jpg

Edited by penmanila

Check out my blog and my pens

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Targa Cobalt Blue Ronce Laque fountain pen c1989-1996. This was one of the more highly gold trimmed Targa models, model 1080, and featured a 14 karat gold Inlaid nib. The finish was lacquered and polished 14 times for a deep glow. The trim is 23 karat gold electroplated. The cap top and barrel end is a black laque circle. The Targa is 5 5/16 inches long.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTarga1080LaqueCobaltBlueRonce_1280_01.jpg

Thanks!

Here's a nice silver Targa (a 1004, I think) with a sweet BB stub nib that I received as a gift about ten years ago (which is why my name is engraved on it).

And here's a near-mint brass one that I found on eBay for $40 (yes, with the brass case):]

Wow - two really nice examples!

I dont have many pens but this slimline Targa is a treasured item.

The finish on the pen is just lovely and the nib has just the right amount of flex, nice and broad too.

The original cartridges are a problem but Waterman Minis fit into the slim barrel.

I did not know the Waterman Mini cartridges fit the Slim Targa!

Hi, Folks!

Unique among Targas, the Sheaffer Fred Force 10 Targa fountain pen was produced from c1992-1996 in a joint effort with Fred Joaillier of Paris. It's model 1090 and is a palladium plated nautical cable twist pattern, which is a theme of the Fred Force 10 jewelry collection. The elaborate trim elements are 23 carat gold electroplated. It features an 18 karat gold Inlaid nib and special Fred Force 10 presentation packaging. It is 5 5/16 inches long.
http://penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTargaFred_1280_06.jpg
Thanks!

I actually only started to get more Targas in the last few years. My 2nd and 3rd pens were production Targas when they were in production so they certainly felt like modern pens to me so when I started collecting Sheaffers I never collected Targas.

fpn_1506807588__targas1.jpg

I bought the classic in 1982 and the slim in 1984.

Edited by Roger W.

I think that these are among the most spectacular of the Targa finishes - I have the blue, brown and green.

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/greentarga.jpg

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/salepens/pen1722.jpg

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I think that these are among the most spectacular of the Targa finishes - I have the blue, brown and green.

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/pix/greentarga.jpg

http://www.mainstreetpens.com/salepens/pen1722.jpg

Ron is right the green moire pops like no other targa. I haven't found the amber moire yet - all in due time.

Roger W.

Until this thread, I never realized that I hadn't photographed the first pens I bought back in 1982: a stainless steel 1001 and a black epoxy 1003, both with stainless steel nibs and chrome trim.

fpn_1506990818__img_0594s.jpg

Edited by corgicoupe

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

The stainless was my first Targa, bought in around 1980 when Robyn and I were first dating. I still have it too.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

The Stainless was my first Targa, also around 1980. The section swelled up so the cap wouldn't fit on. I eventually bought a donor pen and replaced the section. This also happened with a chrome pen I bought whenever they first came out. Bought a spare section about twenty years later. I never understood the sections swelling up so that the cap wouldn't fit on. These were thin pens. I kind of regard them like I do Parker 45s. Nice, upbeat looking pens that inspire nothing beyond the liking for their looks for me. I know others wax ecstatic about them. I still really like the looks.

I used Sheaffer blue black ink, by the way.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Yes, the stailess/lines chrome body were the first Targas for me too. I remember buying 5 FP+BP pairs, in clear plastic cover boxes, in mid 80s when I was posted to my country's Mission in Saddam's Iraq. The FP came with the squeeze converts. I gifted three pairs (to my father and brothers) and kept two for myself. These are still with me. I never encountered the section swelling problem with my Targas, though.

After that I picked up every available finish with the 14k nib. SS, gold plated and lacque finishes. I have now quite a sizable collection of Targas including a few of the slim version.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

• 4 months later...

Hi, Folks!

This is a Sheaffer Targa Model 1003 Matte Black with 23 karat gold electroplated trim c. 1989 to 1998. There are two versions of the Targa model 1003. This is the later version which has a gold plated cap top ornament. The earlier c. 1980 to 1988 version has a matte black cap top ornament. Both versions feature the Sheaffer Inlaid 14 karat gold nib. The section has a single gold plated trim ring. On this version, the top and bottom of the barrel have gold plated trim rings. The cap top and barrel end have flat round black inserts. The back side of the cap top ornament is laser engraved SHEAFFER U.S.A. Matching rollerball pens, ballpoint pens and pencils were made.
http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferTargaMatteBlack_1280_01.jpg
Thanks!

i got these two sheaffers as a package last week, but admittedly it was more for the "grapevines" ballpoint--which i also have in silver, and have liked since they came out in the 1970s. i'm told that sheaffer also released a slim targa in the grapevines design, but i've never seen one. if anyone has it, could you please post a picture? i think it would be stunning in silver. thanks!

40112022571_e6b5f7fda7_c.jpg

Check out my blog and my pens

The sheaffertarga.com does not have the grapevines finish in the Targa Reference List.

I too have the grapevines BP in silver.

Khan M. Ilyas

I have a few dozen Targas including sterling siver, gold plated and steel/chrome finishes. But have, recently aquired one of the limited (500 pieces) edition Foxhead finish/version with an extra broad slightly upturned nib.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nIAoC5ZOFy3tldX5HPy_FPqtGuMwGQI1/view?usp=drivesdk

The nib.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eBT8ccXQqCtTKkd5QFckShzqDslyipsy/view?usp=drivesdk

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

I have few targas but I would show this .Recently I acuired few slim tagas but now I have only one .I like this color .

post-123569-0-10242700-1518796181_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dr. Saleem Ali