Platinum #3776 The Lantern Transparent

gibbs

Recently I have been looking on eBay for another #3776 to join my other two and I came across this

post-136955-0-59266300-1506560967_thumb.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLATINUM-3776-The-Lantern-Transparent-Slip-Seal-Amber-Brown-14K-Fountain-Pen-/172623476885?var=&hash=item2831293895:m:mkHBCqKvkmE8tB0gypyk9qQ

Now I do like the colouration of this, however, I am a bit dubious of the listing as while it probably is genuine and the price suggests it possibly is the phrase "Exclusive for ENGEIKA" has thrown me as while I know platinum make limited edition pens they are generally available from a number of retailers

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KreepyKen

• AmandaW

• gibbs

• Algester

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is a pretty pen!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Recently I have been looking on eBay for another #3776 to join my other two and I came across this

attachicon.gif20170412_886dea.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLATINUM-3776-The-Lantern-Transparent-Slip-Seal-Amber-Brown-14K-Fountain-Pen-/172623476885?var=&hash=item2831293895:m:mkHBCqKvkmE8tB0gypyk9qQ

Now I do like the colouration of this, however, I am a bit dubious of the listing as while it probably is genuine and the price suggests it possibly is the phrase "Exclusive for ENGEIKA" has thrown me as while I know platinum make limited edition pens they are generally available from a number of retailers

I think you can rest assured that it is a legitimate listing. Platinum has made other editions specifically for/limited to Engeika, such as the Platinum 3776 "Nyhavn" a beautiful yellow demonstrator barrel with solid yellow cap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/-/172882809711?

But I think you can do better in one of his auctions than the price for BIN.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

I've stumbled on that pen, looks nice but couldn't find much info.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Hullo!

I'm new to FPN (and fountain pens in general), but joined just to respond to this post :)

I saw the listing for this pen on Ebay AU and was also attracted to the amber body, but wasn't willing to pay the Buy It Now price for it. When I saw Engeika list an Ebay auction for the Lantern UEF, I jumped on it and long story short, the pen arrived a few days ago.

It is gorgeous in person. It's my first Platinum #3776 and so far I'm loving it! The UEF nib is really smooth and not scratchy at all. I'm really glad I decided to bid for the UEF instead of the EF as my Pilot VP EF nib still writes a hair finer than the UEF.

The team at Engeika was great too. I had a few queries on this pen and others, and their responses were always very pleasant and helpful. Prior to this, I'd seen other FPN users highly recommend Engeika, and can see why! Hope this helps!

I also purchased one of these lately. Engeika is legitimate and has been around a long time. My Lantern 3776 arrived well packaged and relatively quickly. It's a beautiful pen. Based on this experienced, I also bought the Nyhavn 3776 from them...should be arriving Monday or Tuesday.

I bid on one a couple of days ago and now the auction has been cancelled. Is that normal for Engeika to do that?

Will work for pens... :unsure:

I've made two purchases from him, including one "Exclusive for Engeika" pen and had no issues whatsoever.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

The listings for the various Platinum Lanterns have disappeared. I had been watching for a new one to start since the one I bid last week on was cancelled. Are they all sold?

Edited by AmandaW

Will work for pens... :unsure:

A bit weird that all the listings disappeared; on the cancelled auction by Engeika: I have read here that he cancels/ pulls auctions when they don't generate as much bidding (money) as he wanted to. As Algester says, he is legit, but has some, to put it mildly, "weird" business practices.

I guess they will be relisted eventually, but with a more controlled roll out, in hopes to get more at auction? Seems like a possibility.

A bit weird that all the listings disappeared; on the cancelled auction by Engeika: I have read here that he cancels/ pulls auctions when they don't generate as much bidding (money) as he wanted to. As Algester says, he is legit, but has some, to put it mildly, "weird" business practices.

I guess they will be relisted eventually, but with a more controlled roll out, in hopes to get more at auction? Seems like a possibility.

That might make sense. In the last month, I won Engeika auctions for both The Lantern ($99.99) and The Nyhavn ($132.50). Both retail for $215 on their site. So it's definitely possible he's not happy with the going rates.

In regards to the lantern, I believe I can shed some light on that. I won an auction for a fine nibbed lantern and received this message a couple of days later

Thank you for your time.

I am terribly sorry to make you waiting for long time.
I would like to terribly apologize that there was error mistake in our inventory system.
Your platinum lantern F nib size was not available at the moment and I am very sorry regarding this.
I am so sorry that the product is not in stock now.
The production of this item is currently stopped.

However, I can offer you Platinum President Wine red F nib
is available now. It is also very limited and special items.
Do you want to be the owner of this product?

Or if you do not feel like to have this item,
we can offer you full refund for you.

Please feel free to let me know your option?
Again, we are terribly sorry for the inconvenience.
Thank you and have a nice day!

I then enquired about the chance of getting it in another size as I really did like the colour of this one but based on his reply it seems it is no longer available, it has also been removed from the ebay store and says please contact us on the website so whether this means there is a chance it will be available in the future or is now truly gone only time will tell

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Again, we are terribly sorry to inform you that
the platinum collection was already sold out for all nib size.
There was wrong error system that our account keep relisted the listing
even though it was already out of stock.
We are very sorry regarding this.
We have other collection that maybe you can consider
it is Platinum President Wine Red in F nib size
PTB-20000P#10-F

Please consider in your convenience and let us know beforehand

We are always learning and keep improving to better
and what we did to you was very unprofessional.
We make sure this problem never happen again in the future.
Please accept our sincere apologize for this inconvenience.
Thank you very much for your time and patience.

Edited by gibbs

and what we did to you was very unprofessional.

Holy cow! How often do you hear something like that? Props to the guy for owning the error and for giving you multiple options for correcting the situation.