The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

FPN appearing slow

Dearest Member or Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,
Due to a continuing DDoS attack, and a hardware malfunction, FPN is moving only slowly. Hosting Support is dealing with both issues, but unfortunately both take time. Until these both resolve, FPN will continue to be slow. ETA is not available yet. Apologies for the inconvenience.
Warm regards, the FPN Moderator & Admin Team

Photo

Platinum #3776 The Lantern Transparent

platinum #3776

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 gibbs

gibbs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:10

Recently I have been looking on eBay for another #3776 to join my other two and I came across this 

20170412_886dea.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.u...kmE8tB0gypyk9qQ

Now I do like the colouration of this, however, I am a bit dubious of the listing as while it probably is genuine and the price suggests it possibly is the phrase "Exclusive for ENGEIKA"  has thrown me as while I know platinum make limited edition pens they are generally available from a number of retailers 

Sponsored Content

#2 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,978 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:15

It is a pretty pen!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#3 Doug1426

Doug1426

Bopa

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:50

Recently I have been looking on eBay for another #3776 to join my other two and I came across this 

attachicon.gif20170412_886dea.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.u...kmE8tB0gypyk9qQ

Now I do like the colouration of this, however, I am a bit dubious of the listing as while it probably is genuine and the price suggests it possibly is the phrase "Exclusive for ENGEIKA"  has thrown me as while I know platinum make limited edition pens they are generally available from a number of retailers 

I think you can rest assured that it is a legitimate listing.  Platinum has made other editions specifically for/limited to Engeika, such as the Platinum 3776 "Nyhavn"  a beautiful yellow demonstrator barrel with solid yellow cap.

http://www.ebay.com/...-/172882809711?

But I think you can do better in one of his auctions than the price for BIN.

"History Teaches us that men and nations behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives." Abba Eban

#4 pseudo88

pseudo88

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 17:04

I've stumbled on that pen, looks nice but couldn't find much info.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#5 shaynechan

shaynechan

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2017 - 07:30

Hullo!

I'm new to FPN (and fountain pens in general), but joined just to respond to this post  :)

I saw the listing for this pen on Ebay AU and was also attracted to the amber body, but wasn't willing to pay the Buy It Now price for it. When I saw Engeika list an Ebay auction for the Lantern UEF, I jumped on it and long story short, the pen arrived a few days ago.

It is gorgeous in person. It's my first Platinum #3776 and so far I'm loving it! The UEF nib is really smooth and not scratchy at all. I'm really glad I decided to bid for the UEF instead of the EF as my Pilot VP EF nib still writes a hair finer than the UEF. 

The team at Engeika was great too. I had a few queries on this pen and others, and their responses were always very pleasant and helpful. Prior to this, I'd seen other FPN users highly recommend Engeika, and can see why! Hope this helps!

#6 KreepyKen

KreepyKen

A Little Off

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2017 - 13:51

I also purchased one of these lately. Engeika is legitimate and has been around a long time. My Lantern 3776 arrived well packaged and relatively quickly. It's a beautiful pen. Based on this experienced, I also bought the Nyhavn 3776 from them...should be arriving Monday or Tuesday.

#7 AmandaW

AmandaW

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 September 2017 - 23:10

I bid on one a couple of days ago and now the auction has been cancelled. Is that normal for Engeika to do that?

It's all about the greys...

#8 Algester

Algester

(´Д⊂ヽ

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:14

while Engeika is legit he does some things that would seem shady to other people thats what I can read from comments regarding his listings

#9 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,122 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:42

I've made two purchases from him, including one "Exclusive for Engeika" pen and had no issues whatsoever.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#10 AmandaW

AmandaW

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 October 2017 - 03:20

The listings for the various Platinum Lanterns have disappeared. I had been watching for a new one to start since the one I bid last week on was cancelled. Are they all sold?

Edited by AmandaW, 08 October 2017 - 03:21.

It's all about the greys...

#11 Olya

Olya

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 21:02

A bit weird that all the listings disappeared; on the cancelled auction by Engeika: I have read here that he cancels/ pulls auctions when they don't generate as much bidding (money) as he wanted to. As Algester says, he is legit, but has some, to put it mildly, "weird" business practices.

I guess they will be relisted eventually, but with a more controlled roll out, in hopes to get more at auction? Seems like a possibility.

#12 KreepyKen

KreepyKen

A Little Off

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:25

A bit weird that all the listings disappeared; on the cancelled auction by Engeika: I have read here that he cancels/ pulls auctions when they don't generate as much bidding (money) as he wanted to. As Algester says, he is legit, but has some, to put it mildly, "weird" business practices.

I guess they will be relisted eventually, but with a more controlled roll out, in hopes to get more at auction? Seems like a possibility.

That might make sense. In the last month, I won Engeika auctions for both The Lantern ($99.99) and The Nyhavn ($132.50). Both retail for $215 on their site. So it's definitely possible he's not happy with the going rates.

#13 gibbs

gibbs

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 15:41

In regards to the lantern, I believe I can shed some light on that. I won an auction for a fine nibbed lantern and received this message a couple of days later 

Spoiler

I then enquired about the chance of getting it in another size as I really did like the colour of this one  but based on his reply it seems it is no longer available, it has also been removed from the ebay store and says please contact us on the website so whether this means there is a chance it will be available in the future or is now truly gone only time will tell

Spoiler

Edited by gibbs, 11 October 2017 - 15:43.

#14 KreepyKen

KreepyKen

A Little Off

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 October 2017 - 22:27

and what we did to you was very unprofessional.

Holy cow! How often do you hear something like that? Props to the guy for owning the error and for giving you multiple options for correcting the situation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: platinum, #3776

Sponsored Content

|