The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Problem With Twsbi - Gushes Ink

twsbi

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 inkeverywhere

inkeverywhere

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 December 2017 - 21:17

I had the same problem with my Eco, a pen I really enjoyed. The way it sits in my hand and writes, sometimes, when not gushing.

Twsbi sent me a new feed and barrel, me paying for the postage when their pen is faulty. The new feed fits more snuggly in the section. I followed every instruction to the letter about seating the feed in the section correctly and filling with ink, and guess what it still drops ink when I write.

I found a 100% guaranteed way to fix the problem, one Twsbi won't like. Clean the pen thoroughly, dry it thoroughly and then place it in your storage box and leave it there, no more dripping onto your work. Next step buy a Wing Sung 698 and have a far more enjoyable writing experience.

It just seems to me, there are too many stories like mine and your's Copykat not to assume there was a real problem in either the design or manufacturing of at least some of these pens.
In my humble opinion Twsbi should offer a guarateed not to drip replacement or refund, at NO cost to the owner, for such affected pens.

I should also say I own other model Twsbi pens, not a single problem with them and a joy to write with. Would I buy another Twsbi, I'd say the jury is still out on that question.....

Greg

Edited by inkeverywhere, 03 December 2017 - 18:34.

"may our fingers remain ink stained"

Handwriting - one of life's pure pleasures

Sponsored Content

#22 smiffy20000

smiffy20000

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:44

I certainly wouldnt buy another, and I have taken back advice that I have given elsewhere on buying a TWSBI asa  well made pen.

TWSBI blame me for using Diamine ink causing the piston to stick and/or taking the pen apart, like yourself IE, they wanted me to pay postage for a defective pen that was less than 2 months old and had seen very little use.

Edited by smiffy20000, 03 December 2017 - 11:45.

#23 Cerne

Cerne

Dipped Only

• Member - Bronze

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:37

I have a similar gushing problem with a TWSBI Micarta v2. Continually having to clean the thing up is a disincentive to using it, which is a pity because the Micarta is a really nice pen to use (when it is not spontaneously pumping itself out)

#24 minddance

minddance

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 19 January 2018 - 20:29

Side note: I experimented with 580 feed and nib by opening up the tines a bit and hacked off 1 critical fin on the feed. Diamine Florida Blue comes out absolutely saturated on both medium and 1.1stub, exactly the way I like. No burping or leaking - perfect behaviour.

Also, my Wingsung 3008, 698, 618, all pistons, never ever leaked or burped or gush ink. My Pelikan pistons never burped or leaked at all. Of course, all the mentioned pens are not in the Twsbi price range ;)

#25 matteob

matteob

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 January 2018 - 17:35

I always wipe the nib after filling and refill when the pen is two thirds full. With barrel storage high capacity pens when the air inside is greater than the ink and heats up from your hand it will obviously expand and force more ink out. Anyone who uses eyedroppers will be aware of this!

Hope this solves things just don't get too annoyed and start playing frisbee with your twisbi lol.

Edited by matteob, 25 January 2018 - 17:36.

#26 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 17:47

I always wipe the nib after filling and refill when the pen is two thirds full. With barrel storage high capacity pens when the air inside is greater than the ink and heats up from your hand it will obviously expand and force more ink out. Anyone who uses eyedroppers will be aware of this!

Hope this solves things just don't get too annoyed and start playing frisbee with your twisbi lol.

Not sure that this is 100% accurate. I have a Conid and there are zero problems with gushing or leaks, and the capacity is 2X a Twsbi. I think it is just a sloppy fit on the twsbi feed, I know that you can take a twsbi apart but I wouldnt disturb the feed on a twsbi unless it needs work

She is never one to let humility get in the way of a confrontation.

#27 matteob

matteob

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2018 - 19:20

well my feed is pushed in very tight. I have had gush when not wiping after filling but TWSBI warns you of that. with a warm hand and a greater air/ink ratio the air expanding can force ink out. That's just natural law.

#28 Michael_Hill

Michael_Hill

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 January 2018 - 22:42

I have five TWSBI pens and I have not had an issue with any of them so far.

1 Eco

1 Diamond 580 clear.

1 Diamond 580 AL Rose

1 Diamond Mini clear

1 Diamond Mini Gold

#29 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2018 - 22:12

I have five TWSBI pens and I have not had an issue with any of them so far.

1 Eco

1 Diamond 580 clear.

1 Diamond 580 AL Rose

1 Diamond Mini clear

1 Diamond Mini Gold

WOW!  :thumbup:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twsbi

Sponsored Content

|